aberdeen-music

Noooooooooooooooo!

Bigsby

Three reasons why this will be bollocks:

1. Hicks was fantastic, but his life story really wasn't all that exciting.

2. The thought of Russell Crowe doing a Hicks impression saying "Drrrr Pepperrr" sends shivers up my spine. It will be totally crap.

3. Giving Hicks the Hollywood blockbuster treatment is totally wrong. You'll have faetures in the Daily Mail about him, clip shows with reality TV non-entities speaking about how much he meant to them, even though they only watched the clips they are commenting on seconds before. It will be just as awful as when the Traisnpotting movie was all the rage in 1996 and you had all these terrible people "discovering" Irvine Welsh.

3. Giving Hicks the Hollywood blockbuster treatment is totally wrong. You'll have faetures in the Daily Mail about him, clip shows with reality TV non-entities speaking about how much he meant to them, even though they only watched the clips they are commenting on seconds before. It will be just as awful as when the Traisnpotting movie was all the rage in 1996 and you had all these terrible people "discovering" Irvine Welsh.

I doubt it'll be a blockbuster. It'll be an indie side project while he waits for Nottingham to start up again.

There's not much you can do to stop it so might as well wait and see if it even gets made before judging if it's going to be any good or not.

What an awful, awful idea. It just doesn't make any sense, when you think about it.

I saw the Bill Hicks: Slight Return show with Chaz Early a couple of years back and thought it was great, but that was just a tribute act based on the kind of material Bill did. I can't imagine an entire film based around his life story, and I certainly can't believe that it's the sort of thing Hicks would have appreciated either - not that I knew him, obviously - I imagine it going against a lot of the beliefs that he was so vociferous about during his act.

There's not much you can do to stop it so might as well wait and see if it even gets made before judging if it's going to be any good or not.

Correct, but there's fuck all to stop me going on an internet message board and stating my opinion that it's the worst idea for a film in the world... ever!, so you might as well stop trying to convince me otherwise with your unhelpful, "positive" attitude.

It's not the worst idea ever. Dennis Leary as Bill Hicks would be the worst idea ever.

I dunno, Crowe's a great actor at least. I'll reserve judgment until it happens really.

I dunno Chris, Leary might be a good choice, he seems to have Bill's material down!! Haha! Personally I think Crowe's a ridiculous choice but someone's eventually gonna do it, I just hope they do him justice. But I really can't see it. On a positive slant if it get's more people into Bill Hicks it can't be a bad thing. The Prophet Bill will live on!!

Oh no, i didn't mean that he wasn't funny...at all. He is funny. I have some of his cd's, and apart from getting too angry and overly anti-establishment; he does make me giggle. But...that's it.

I think it's just a generational thing. If you had discovered him in the early 90s, when there was no internet, and the only way to find out about that type of thing was to stumble across it late night on Channel 4 and before his act had been ripped off by others, then you would see it in a different light. :)

I think it's just a generational thing. If you had discovered him in the early 90s, when there was no internet, and the only way to find out about that type of thing was to stumble across it late night on Channel 4 and before his act had been ripped off by others, then you would see it in a different light. :)

I disagree. He's quite funny, but he's not the jesus of jokes that people make him out to be. I found him very repetitive at the time and his humour really hasn't lasted in my opinion.

Mind you, i hate stand up comedy so maybe he is the top end of a rather shitty heap. :up:

I disagree. He's quite funny, but he's not the jesus of jokes that people make him out to be. I found him very repetitive at the time and his humour really hasn't lasted in my opinion.
This is what I think. I still listen to him, and do find it funny soemtimes, but after the second or third listen that was it. Alot fot he time I foudn ti extremely repetitive on the one subject, and I found him to be really fucking condescending. I think he thought he was the messiah, whioch was sad, but people that make him out to be just that are even worse. He was just a comedian.

Mitch Hedberg is FAR funnier.

Guest treader.

i watched an old episode of "Dangerfield's" (Rodney Dangerfield's comedy club show thing)

and Bill Hicks was on it. With maybe 5 other well respected comedians of the time featuring too.

Hicks was the only comedian who was actually funny beyond being a massive racist.

ALL, and i mean that, of the other comedians were making jokes about indian people and arabs and whatever else they wanted to. it was pretty shameful really.

Hicks came up and did his bit about politics and the shitty government, and the crowd just...didnt know what to do with themselves. He really was in a league of his own at the time, and to a certain extent, still is.

I wouldnt say he's the messiah of comedy or anything though. Just largely influential.

This is what I think. I still listen to him, and do find it funny soemtimes, but after the second or third listen that was it. Alot fot he time I foudn ti extremely repetitive on the one subject, and I found him to be really fucking condescending. I think he thought he was the messiah, whioch was sad, but people that make him out to be just that are even worse. He was just a comedian.

Mitch Hedberg is FAR funnier.

I disagree with you. He didn't think he was the messiah, far from it. He spent a lot of his act saying that people shouldn't be led by what others tell them, that they should make their own minds up. The only sad thing about that is that there were folk that needed to be told that in the first place.

I disagree with you. He didn't think he was the messiah, far from it. He spent a lot of his act saying that people shouldn't be led by what others tell them, that they should make their own minds up. The only sad thing about that is that there were folk that needed to be told that in the first place.

Too true, I'm personally a huge Hicks fan so it may be no huge surprise that I disagree with a lot of what has been said. Personally I believe Hicks was a great satirist of life, do I believe him to be some Messiah - no, However I do believe he had a great perspective with which to view life from. And say what you like but the guy was funny as fuck! Yes he used to rant at people but this was generally brought about by frustration at trying to get his message accross. Watch some of the clips on You Tube generally the people he's ranting at are fucking morons.

YouTube - Bill Hicks Hates Hecklers

Ok you may not agree with his opinion but at least the guy had the conviction and the balls to go out there on stage every night to tell it, incidentally a lot more balls than it takes to post a smart arsed comment on a message board. Ask any comic worth his salt and they will tell you Bill Hicks is still heralded as the comedians comedian. Is he the best comedian ever, probably not, but the guy is missed and probably will be missed long after we are forgotten about.

YouTube - Bill Hicks: What is the point to Life

Boo fucking hoo. I said Bill Hicks ain't the messiah. I didn't piss on your children. Get over it.

Like I said, people should stop acting like he is. IE get all defensive when soemone says "you know, I don't think he was as amazing as everyone says he was."

I don't know about you, but I'm over it mate, I was just putting my opinion across, you seem more than happy to let everyone hear your opinion on the subject, I thought I'd put in my tuppence-worth.

Boo fucking hoo. I said Bill Hicks ain't the messiah. I didn't piss on your children. Get over it.

Like I said, people should stop acting like he is. IE get all defensive when soemone says "you know, I don't think he was as amazing as everyone says he was."

No, you said that you thought he thought he was the messiah. No one here said he was or acted like they thought he was. We actually agreed with you on the fact that he wasn't the messiah. The only thing we disagreed on was what we believed he thought he was. I think it is you that needs to stop getting all defensive when someone disagrees with you.

My point was put across perfectly calmly and rationally. There was hardly any need for you to get all arsey.

img_3.jpg

"He's not the messiah..."

HAHA!! This ones for you Teabags!!

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Some things in life are bad,

They can really make you mad,

Other things just make you swear and curse,

When you're chewing life's gristle,

Don't grumble,

Give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best.

And...

Always look on the bright side of life.

[whistle]

Always look on the light side of life.

[whistle]

If life seems jolly rotten,

There's something you've forgotten,

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps,

Don't be silly chumps.

Just purse your lips and whistle.

That's the thing.

And...

[whistle]

Always look on the right side of life,

[whistle]

For life is quite absurd

And death's the final word.

You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin.

Give the audience a grin.

Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.

So,...

Always look on the bright side of death,

[whistle]

Just before you draw your terminal breath.

[whistle]

Life's a piece of shit,

When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.

You'll see it's all a show.

Keep 'em laughing as you go.

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And...

Always look on the right side of life.

[whistle]

Always look on the bright side of life!

[whistle]

[whistle]

[whistle]

[whistle]