aberdeen-music

Earplugs

WoodyRATM

Having damaged my left eardrum as a kid I've had a lot of problems with hearing in that ear, but after gigs all i ever get is some ringing, the rubber ones RnB sell, are they any good? i often just stick some toilet paper in at my mates house because he has such a small room the ring is ridiculous.

RnB sell ones that come in a case and let you change filters.

I bought them a while ago just because i needed plugs for that day.

20 quid or something, and you can wear them in clubs or watching gigs.

I've worn earplugs for years, both when playing and attending gigs and the guys who I've spent most time doing both with haven't. Consequently, most of them have noticed a considerable deterioration in the quality of their hearing and mine is grand.

Eh... what was that laddie? speak up a bit...!

Your part of the reason im deef ya barsteward...:up:

i used to use ear plugs but i never found a pair i liked, never really liked the sound through them and i also found myself hitting harder due to them.

you will wish you had worn them when you get either hearing loss/tinitus though.

I wear mine a lot. Practices, gigs, when I'm at gigs, sometimes at clubs etc.

My hearing is really important to me.

A little off track here, but how much better for your ears are in ear monitors compared to being blasted by standard monitors?

I always find I end up really struggling with one ear from my drum fill, even when wearing protection, and fancy investing in decent ear monitors. Good idea or no?

I've got a set of those industrial ones with the ridges they give out on oil rigs and stuff. I've tried using them for practice and gigs, but it made it really difficult to hear the high end guitar stuff, which is kinda important if you're the singer and you need to stay in key. I occasionaly stick a finger in one ear so I can hear my own voice better but I couldn't play a whole gig with earplugs in.

I've got a set of those industrial ones with the ridges they give out on oil rigs and stuff. I've tried using them for practice and gigs, but it made it really difficult to hear the high end guitar stuff, which is kinda important if you're the singer and you need to stay in key. I occasionaly stick a finger in one ear so I can hear my own voice better but I couldn't play a whole gig with earplugs in.

The industrial ones will cut out important frequencies as you just described. Musician plugs will only cut out harsh frequencies, but high end notes will still be very audible, if not much, much clearer. As a vocalist, you copuld benefit endlessly from getting some proper plugs as everything sounds much less like an onslaught of sound murdering your lugholes.

I need to get more. I lost mine before I moved up here, but I haven't been to or played many shows. Alot of band practices though, and in a space so confined, I really should have been wearing them. I've already got a bit of tinnitus in my right ear, because I'm an idiot

• 2 weeks later...

I know a engineer who works in noise monitoring. He recommened the alpine musicsafe pro eartips to me - he says that next to the really expensive custom one these are the best / cheapest he has seen. ( he is an aberdonian afterall)

They are about 15.00 with 3 levels of attenuation and don't strip out all the high end - a good all rounder and reasonably priced.

I sing so need to be able to hear myself too and my ears are really sensitve...i got mine off ebay