aberdeen-music

Batman - The Dark Knight

Aaron_Robertson

Guest idol_wild
if you don't know, you don't need to know.

Aww c'mon. Whether a film is culturally relevant, a form of high entertainment, or just bloody worthwhile generally is a matter of sheer opinion. It's not knowledge - it's entirely subjective.

I think everyone's with me here if I ask you to post your top ten films of all time...

Though I actually expect three things from this enquiry:

a) I'll agree with the vast majority of your top ten

b) People will pick at your top ten and dissect it as much as possible for the sheer sake of it

or

c) You won't even post your top ten

Guest idol_wild
I find it hard to believe that someone could sit through the entirety of The Dark Knight without enjoying it a little bit. It really is quite long.

But us masses are simpletons, mind.

when the sole aim is to talk shit to faceless members of an internet forum.

Sorry to bruise your ego and shatter your myopic worldview but I watched the film out of genuine morbid curiosity as to the state of our society, given the inescapable BATMAN IS FUCKING COOL marketing message that is being constantly pumped out in huge slimy globs through almost every form of media at the moment into the gaping mouths of the willing morons who swallow it down without even a second thought.

Sorry to bruise your ego and shatter your myopic worldview but I watched the film out of genuine morbid curiosity as to the state of our society, given the inescapable BATMAN IS FUCKING COOL marketing message that is being constantly pumped out in huge slimy globs through almost every form of media at the moment into the gaping mouths of the willing morons who swallow it down without even a second thought.

Give us a list of your top films please. I think we're all very interested in finding out what you watch.

Aww c'mon. Whether a film is culturally relevant, a form of high entertainment, or just bloody worthwhile generally is a matter of sheer opinion. It's not knowledge - it's entirely subjective.

I think everyone's with me here if I ask you to post your top ten films of all time...

Though I actually expect three things from this enquiry:

a) I'll agree with the vast majority of your top ten

b) People will pick at your top ten and dissect it as much as possible for the sheer sake of it

or

c) You won't even post your top ten

Who fucking cares what films I consider to be great? If you want an excuse to have a go at me just resort to calling me a cock or a tosser etc like everyone else here does in the absence of an actual considered, thoughtful counteropinion.

Hah, all hail my ego! I'm not the one who watched a 2 and a half hours of a film I knew I'd never enjoy with the sole aim of making myself feel superior to joe fuckin' public.

Who fucking cares what films I consider to be great? If you want an excuse to have a go at me just resort to calling me a cock or a tosser etc like everyone else here does in the absence of an actual considered, thoughtful counteropinion.

Why would people want to have a go at you for what you like watching? It's just that maybe people would be more understanding to your viewpoint if you backed up what you were saying with some examples rather than just making blank statements.

Stripey, you seem to be coming across as saying that all films must be intellectual and be nothing short of directorial genius for them to be classed as worth watching. But what's wrong with watching a film, like many people do, to relax, or god forbid, have fun?

Some films may be shit yes, but it's a chance to unwind.

And please don't come away with some shit like only philistines unwind, blah, blah blah.

Hah, all hail my ego! I'm not the one who watched a 2 and a half hours of a film I knew I'd never enjoy with the sole aim of making myself feel superior to joe fuckin' public.

i just told you, i watched it in order to understand what it is that people are buying into, in the wider cultural context. I haven't seen so much hype around a film in ages. You should try and get out more instead of deluding yourself into thinking people like me give a fuck about people like you.

Who fucking cares what films I consider to be great?

Well you appear to take great pleasure in forcefully telling everyone here which films you consider to be completely shit, so I think it's only fair you share with us what you consider to be a good film.

Of course deep down, like everyone else, you probably like one or two of these "steaming Hollywood poo" productions but heaven forbid actually admitting that and...*gasp* contradicting yourself yet again.

Guest idol_wild
Who fucking cares what films I consider to be great?

I think you probably hate Star Wars too. So I'll retort with Luke Skywalker's quip "I care"...

If you want an excuse to have a go at me just resort to calling me a cock or a tosser etc like everyone else here does in the absence of an actual considered, thoughtful counteropinion.

I think you're neither a cock or a tosser. Though I'm sure you occassionally toss your cock.

Like we all do.

But yeah, I would actually like to find out what your top ten films are. I don't want to have a go at you. I'm just curious as to what your cinematic heritage actually is.

two and a half hours.

Ah yeah I'm forgetting people like you enjoy sitting in a huge cinema surrounded by popcorn munching twits for so many hours where your attention is solely devoted to watching "the film".

Those of us who live in the 21st century however are more used to watching films in 1/4 of the screen while carrying on with other activities, perhaps that goes some way to explaining why you still take cheap entertainment like this so seriously.

To be fair it stopped being readable when Stripey piked out of backing up his opinion.
..here let me give a friendly warning to those scribes who have so often exclaimed against my criticisms of Shakespear as blasphemies against a hitherto unquestioned Perfection and Infallibility. Such criticisms are no more new than the creed of my Diabolonian Puritan or my revival of the humors of Cool as a Cucumber. Too much surprise at them betrays an aquaintance with Shakespear criticism so limited as not to include even the prefaces of Dr Johnson and the utterances of Napoleon. I have merely repeated in the dialect of my own time and in the light of its philosophy what they said in the dialect and light of theirs. Do not be misled by the Shakespear fanciers who, ever since his own time, have delighted in his plays just as they might have delighted in a particular breed of pigeons if they had never learnt to read. His genuine critics, from Ben Jonson to Mr Frank Harris, have always kept as far on this side idolatry as I.

There is more btw.

DIZZY STARR has got an infraction for his troubles and a few posts deleted. Now let's get back on topic please everyone.

I'm off to see this new Batman film at the IMAX cinema down here next week. Take that bitches! :p

There is more btw.

Back it up with something more like: "Guy's i know i've pushed the boat out here with my outlandish statements but in all honesty i feel i need to express my opinions and thoughts on the following films so that you can further understand why i think all of the current franchise films etc are overly polished Hollywood turds....."

We could all quote cliched hacks til the cows come home ;)

It would be nice to see some substance amid that scathing wit and those seething diatribes :up:

Back it up with something more like: "Guy's i know i've pushed the boat out here with my outlandish statements but in all honesty i feel i need to express my opinions and thoughts on the following films so that you can further understand why i think all of the current franchise films etc are overly polished Hollywood turds....."

We could all quote cliched hacks til the cows come home ;)

It would be nice to see some substance amid that scathing wit and those seething diatribes :up:

Oh right, I didn't realise when you said "back up your point of view" you meant "offer a capitulation which justifies your (alkalines) point of view."

So in that case, no, certainly not, I stand by everything I've said in this thread.