aberdeen-music

what a great point about so called "emo"

Guest highroller

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I could not agree more about the enthusiasm for Japanese bands. Japanese hardcore is fucking amazing. It seems that a style of music pops up in the Western world, then the Japanese get hold of it and produce something 10 times more insane! God, I love Japcore.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest haigyman

you can say what you like about hetfield's voice/beard (although...is it just me, or does hetfield not have a "grindy" voice anymore?), but don't you think that when ffaf (or whatever "emo" band) does one of their little shouty bits it sounds like they're being sick many times really quickly.

Emo will pan out like every other over-hyped genre: the bands of any merit will continue, and their fans will continue to love them, the dross will be forgotten* and the hip kids/fair-weather fans will move onto the next thing.

*or "musically develop" into what the next big thing is - see New Found Glory, Blink 182 et al.

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

Emo will pan out like every other over-hyped genre: the bands of any merit will continue, and their fans will continue to love them, the dross will be forgotten* and the hip kids/fair-weather fans will move onto the next thing.

*or "musically develop" into what the next big thing is - see New Found Glory, Blink 182 et al.

True true :)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by Aileen:

"japcore"

hhhmm, is this term politically correct?

It's been used since about 1983, when the first wave of Japanese HC bands formed after Disorder and Chaos UK toured Japan. I don't see anything wrong with the word myself, it's only an abbreviation of Japanese Hardcore.

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

and what exactly is the 'next big thing'?

These bands have been around for YEARS now..... bands usually do tend to evolve and change styles over the course of their careers. Who wants to make the same album 5 times?

I hate music snobs, and this pissy little website is littered with the cunts.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Originally posted by Johnny Mac:

Who wants to make the same album 5 times?

placebo, oasis et al

music snobs are good, they help to introduce new music to the masses, we are all music snobs

These bands have been around for YEARS now..... bands usually do tend to evolve and change styles over the course of their careers. Who wants to make the same album 5 times?

AC/DC?

Re: Re: what a great point about so called "emo"

Originally posted by Sky:

This should have been put up in the MMW forum; it's shameless publicity mongering.

Yes, just look at the long list of debating about MMW that has ensued :rolleyes:

Your post has just highlighted your dislike for Ben...as I mentioned in the thread on the wasteland.

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

AC/DC?

what? the next big thing.... ? :D

To be fair though, they've made the same album about 30 times ;)

Shit.. i'm a music snob.... wait..... really though, I have no interest in 'classic' metal, although I don't go around slagging it off like many others do to other genres of rock.

:dunce:

EDIT:

oh... and i also said ' bands USUALLY do tend to evolve and change styles over the course of their careers'.

AC/DC must be the exception to the rule.

But that's what metal is isn't it, a formula. My punk friends worked out the metal formula many moons ago. Firstly you need to get a group of people together who have long hair and tight clothes. Must be Exibitionists! Get same metal chord progression that has been used by every metal band ever. Thrash the chord sequence to death and and some high pitched squeeling "rock..OOOOOOOON" etc. Then comes the twenty minute solo, a drum round off, another short solo and a crashing finish. Turn the band into drug-abusers/alcoholics/and sex-machines. Have huge pyrotechnic filled shows...make a hundred albums to flood the market sit back and enjoy your metal masterpiece.

Guest highroller
Originally posted by New Found Power:

Not to mention Slayer, and their "Reign in Blood was ace, let's do it again!" syndrome.

I disagree man!

I think Reign in blood aint that great apart from maybe 4 tracks....Sure it set a new standard in thrash but Slayer have written far better albums and havent tried to repeat RIB at all in my opinion...

The album after which is "south of heaven" is FAR superior...And my fave slayer album by a mile is "seasons in the abyss." What an album....

Originally posted by purplefrodo:

But that's what metal is isn't it, a formula. My punk friends worked out the metal formula many moons ago. Firstly you need to get a group of people together who have long hair and tight clothes. Must be Exibitionists! Get same metal chord progression that has been used by every metal band ever. Thrash the chord sequence to death and and some high pitched squeeling "rock..OOOOOOOON" etc. Then comes the twenty minute solo, a drum round off, another short solo and a crashing finish. Turn the band into drug-abusers/alcoholics/and sex-machines. Have huge pyrotechnic filled shows...make a hundred albums to flood the market sit back and enjoy your metal masterpiece.

I haven't been subjected to that much shit since I fell into the septic tank.

I agree with ben, Reign in blood is crap...

Oh shit i forgot, slayer are crap!

the only metal bands i ever really got 'into' as opposed to owning a few ok albums, were metallica and pantera

Pantera for dime, metallica for expertly written songs (up to the black album anything theyve done is genius!)

Oh yeah and hetfield has great voice, and stage presence (which is equally important)

I'm not saying bands shouldn't develop, but I find it very convienent for a band who made a point of being obnoxiously crude have chosen NOW to 'grow up', when now is time that being a whingy PC-piss-artist is the new cool. See what I mean?