aberdeen-music

Hot Chilli

Flash@TMB

quite the coincidence, I've just ordered some naga seeds, along with pimiento de padron which sounds like fun :

Pimiento de Padron is an unusual dual purpose chilli from the department of Galicia in northwest Spain. There, the young, green fruit are traditionally harvested at about 5cm in length, when the seeds are still soft and the skin tender. The fruits are then fried in olive oil, topped with a little salt and eaten whole, seeds and all. At this stage of their development, some are hellishly hot, many have no heat at all, and a few fall in between. There is no way of knowing until they are eaten, though culinary thrill seekers may find this uncertainty a plus.

This year I'm also growing peach habanero, numex twilight and regular jalapeno.

the twilight is quite ornamental and as hot as your average birds-eye chilli, I've had to cut back on the amount of plants this year though as they are really prolific and I still have kilner jars packed full of the dried ones

VEG411.jpg

The pickle I tried was nowhere near full strength, it was totally edible. Ate it as a dip with naan bread. Also contained garlic. Was VERY tasty. Didn't do much to the tongue, went straight for my brain. Felt like a massive rush. Kicked in 2 mins after I started eating it and lasted a good 10-15 mins. Did about a tablespoon of it in total over the course of an hour.

Next morning it sweated out during exercise and felt like tea tree oil, was really pleasant. Not too bad at the other end, much better than expected.

Not sure if there is much advantage to eating the stuff at full concentration.

Reckon this was probably around 250K scov, but that's just a guess. The bread helped a lot.

So for culinary uses I'd try mixing with olive oil, garlic and tomato puree, then cooking at a few mins, and aiming for 1/8th - 1/10th concentration. It was much tastier than habanero.

EDIT: would describe this stuff as legal drugs. I got it at The Light of Bengal. It's not listed on the menu, and only a couple of the waiters 'know' about it. Seems to be some sort of 'under the counter' type deal. They had 2 types and the second one was a bit stronger. The first time I went there they served it heated. The second time it was cold. Heated was much better, and the strong one was also more 'trippy'.

Should also add... although the videos on YouTube are humorous, I reckon you get a much better experience by eating the stuff with bread. This way you get more into your system with fewer side effects and the whole thing is extremely pleasant. I find it harder to eat the whole bird eyes in the vindaloo than the naga pickle, although the pickle certainly gives out more 'heat', because eating the whole chilli is much more concentrated.

Dipping bread in the pickle I was able to eat a tablespoon, that was probably a similar strength to Dave's Insanity sauce, whereas I would not go shoving a tablespoon of Dave's Insanity Sauce into my gob! But a couple of minutes after the stuff gets inside you, the effects become quite pronounced.

quite the coincidence, I've just ordered some naga seeds, along with pimiento de padron which sounds like fun :QUOTE)

My wee brother lives in Padron. Apparently its a bit of a ritual eating the peppers there, and quite an event when someone gets a really hot one. Theyre actualy quite rare, Ive eaten a whole plate of them and had nothing spicy. In fact, I was beginning to suspect the whole "unos son picantes, otros non" thing to be a bit of a wives tale until I was touched in a bar not ong ago. Owch!

Spicy or not, theyre quite tasty with a little oil and plenty salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

yes basically any of them. i had a couple of jalapeno plants last year that did really well inside, and provided enough for cooking with most days of the week.

this year from memory my plant pack included jalapeno, fresno, something called red cherry i think...there are also a couple that are more like regular peppers like cornio de torro rosso.

is it too late to start planting a couple of the hotter varieties?

is there any chilli's that i can grow inside?

don't have a garden or appropriate windows for a window box, y'see.

I tried growing some and ended up with loads of Afid's (SP) white fly, which spread to my other plants and was pretty horrible, I believe there is another plant that you can sit next to it that keeps these away tho, something to do with the smell the flower releases keeps the fly away.

Good chilli sauce site...

Chili Sauce - buy hot chili sauce on line

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I tried growing some and ended up with loads of Afid's (SP) white fly, which spread to my other plants and was pretty horrible, I believe there is another plant that you can sit next to it that keeps these away tho, something to do with the smell the flower releases keeps the fly away.

We just had to move all our chili, peppers and herbs outside as we found they were covered in white fly :(

Least we'd got a decent crop out of them before they got infested.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

right, i bought a packet of naga dorset peppers from tesco. how much caution should i treat these with?

for my green thai prawn curry i normally use most of a packet of 'finger chillis' which are reasonably hot, i just let them stew in the pot and put one or two on a plate of the stuff to nibble on for some extra heat if required. is using a whole naga pepper chopped up a reasonably smart idea?