aberdeen-music

New Faint album due in September

i think they are a touch over rated (like most elecro rock cross over bands)

good ...but over rated

the last album was fairly patchy and too much a replicant of early Ultrvox in places to be totally credible

imo

also heard some reports of quite bad live shows

they can only get better

Really? I thought the last album was pretty solid - much more so than their first release. I stopped reading the music press a while ago, so I must have missed all the hype around them - Haven't seen any live reviews as a result, either. I'd be interested to see them live, though.

Originally posted by josef k:

You kidding betamax? Danse Macabre is truly awesome!

some of it is fantastic but some of it is a bit crap too ...to me anyway....thats what I mean by patchy

kind of frutrating when you think something is almost wonderful if you know what I mean

but they are potentially world beaters

and Im looking forward to the new LP too

I was disappointed that they weren't supporting Placebo in Dundee but then the mighty Eighties Matchbox had taken over so I cared not a jot once I heard that :D

I liked 'Danse Macabre' but I agree that it's not quite perfect. I guess I was just expecting too much frmo that particular album - damn the music press to hayell!

Originally posted by This Is Music:

The use of that word is rather funny coming from a member of Real Shocks!

:bat:

i know

we have a perfect zero credibility rating with the local 'serious' muso wank set

its something we find equally funny

no hope career musos apeing *insert boring established act* really hate the way we cant play and dont actually give a fuck, but still manage to consistently grab more national radio airplay than the rest of the 'proper' musos put together

oh the irony!

now that IS funny

*gets out Danse Macabre for another listen in case Ive been too critical*

Guest Jesus Wept
Originally posted by betamax:

i know

we have a perfect zero credibility rating with the local 'serious' muso wank set

its something we find equally funny

no hope career musos apeing *insert boring established act* really hate the way we cant play and dont actually give a fuck, but still manage to consistently grab more national radio airplay than the rest of the 'proper' musos put together

oh the irony!

now that IS funny

*gets out Danse Macabre for another listen in case Ive been too critical*

Your post implies to me that popularity should be the career goal of a band. Isn't it enough to just make music, with no concern for money, popularity, success?

Having national radio airplay means nothing other than you have national radio airplay. I dont see how it makes your band any better than the "no hope career musos".

i think they are a touch over rated (like most elecro rock cross over bands)

good ...but over rated

the last album was fairly patchy and too much a replicant of early Ultrvox in places to be totally credible

imo

also heard some reports of quite bad live shows

they can only get better

I'm not gonna argue with you, even though I love it to little pieces I totally see your point. It's moody, yet you can shake ass to it. Perfect!

Originally posted by Jesus Wept:

Your post implies to me that popularity should be the career goal of a band. Isn't it enough to just make music, with no concern for money, popularity, success?

Having national radio airplay means nothing other than you have national radio airplay. I dont see how it makes your band any better than the "no hope career musos".

yes its enough. full stop. you are preaching to the converted on that one.

but yes

radio airplay is cool when it serves to piss off said local muso types who look down on bands like us, because we dont conform to their careerist wannabee marketable demographic

because we naturally work outside and even against those attitutes, but somehow have the kind of accidental 'success' they eat their grannies liver for...it becomes tres amusing when we get the usual relentless ''you cant fucking play, you cant fucking sing, you dont even play proper songs" shit thrown at us from bands, whose actual creative talent amounts to recycling the *insert established act* songbook (badly)

right you are ...radio play or whatever is no real measure of actual success or worth as a creative act....and at what point have I said Real Shocks are 'better' than anyone??? are Keen better than Real Shocks cos they are on the radio 24/7....I think not....point proven. We are not a successful band either......only in our heads when a song really kicks off at a gig do we feel any remote sense of ''success''. I reckon we all think the same on that. Apert from the desperate careerist muso wanks......getting their photos in the P&J is what its all about for those penis heads

but getting one up on the genuine bands in town, dosen't even come into our thinking and why would it? we are mates with half of em, and i do work for free on the promotion and production side for quite a few of em....

erm

and..

its also worth considering that when XFM, Virgin, Radio 1 and Euro/American Stations play your tunes without bribes, its a good indication that whatyou are doing is not just self indulgent wanking

it also pays royalties which come in handy for keeping things going when you are operating on a DIY basis outside the conventional music industry

even on the outside you have to be realistic sometimes

Originally posted by nullmouse:

I must admit to having never seen the Real Shocks live yet - It's just been something I've failed to do but meant to for a while. Must... rectify.

I remember seeing an EP on the shelves of some record shop a while ago, are there copies still floating around?

real shocks cds and vinyl are available in all good record shops

ie: not many....most copies are vinyl and not many places stock the black syuff

dunno if you'll like much of our stuff anyway, its kina throwaway ultra retro punk with huge lumps of synthness thrown in it (certainly not as intelligent as The Faint etc), but I guarantee you'll like the Dirty Hospital remix of our next single....its a huge throbbing sequencer robo-disko track and its currently going down well at club nites like Trash in London....i think it will be right up your street sir....its coming out on a one sided 12 inch in June or July, but ill probably get some bootleg cd copies and distribute locally soon

next deen gig is a 'guest appearance' at the Pills/Josephine/CUTS gig on friday 28th @ The Moorings......basically we'll be playing our full set (30 mins) as a warm up to supporting The Kitchen (Manda Bis) in London the week after.....Mooring gig onstage at 9.30.....without a sound check I would imagine

after that theres a few outa town dgigs and then we do the after show ladyboy party for GoNorth (not an official Go North band this year)....details soonly

Oh you'd be surprised to what cack I listen to ;)

Yar, we booked The Kitchen for their first ever gig (*glowing pride*). Only seen them once since and the sound is coming along in leaps and bounds - Their album is going to be released on Damaged Goods, I believe.

Missed Dirty Hospital when Del got them up, was much annoyed about that - Look forward to hearing the remix, from what I've heard of DH's stuph it will indeed be my cup of tea. It sounds like the sort of thing we'd play at Elizium (we're 1/3 electrotrash whores, after all).

I'm back from Washington DC on Thursday, so depending on how the travelling affects me I may try and make it out to the Moorings. Ta for the info! :D

Originally posted by nullmouse:

Oh you'd be surprised to what cack I listen to ;)

Yar, we booked The Kitchen for their first ever gig (*glowing pride*). Only seen them once since and the sound is coming along in leaps and bounds - Their album is going to be released on Damaged Goods, I believe.

Missed Dirty Hospital when Del got them up, was much annoyed about that - Look forward to hearing the remix, from what I've heard of DH's stuph it will indeed be my cup of tea. It sounds like the sort of thing we'd play at Elizium (we're 1/3 electrotrash whores, after all).

I'm back from Washington DC on Thursday, so depending on how the travelling affects me I may try and make it out to the Moorings. Ta for the info! :D

ive heard a fair bit of the new Dirty Hospital album while it was work in progress and its fantastic......super fast electro clash ...almost punk techno...top chaps!

i can get you a copy of the RS v DH disko mix

send me a pm if you are gonna appear anywhere (such as a gig) and ill try and have it on me

ive heard a fair bit of the new Dirty Hospital album while it was work in progress and its fantastic......super fast electro clash ...almost punk techno...top chaps!

i can get you a copy of the RS v DH disko mix

send me a pm if you are gonna appear anywhere (such as a gig) and ill try and have it on me

Nifty, I was just having a poke around to see if there was any news of an album.

Thanks lotsly, I'll PM you soon! (Hopefully next week, for the 28th).

Guest Jesus Wept
Originally posted by betamax:[b

its also worth considering that when XFM, Virgin, Radio 1 and Euro/American Stations play your tunes without bribes, its a good indication that whatyou are doing is not just self indulgent wanking

How is it?(

Originally posted by Jesus Wept:

How is it?(

i suppose if various show producers actually bother to give you airtime for free in schedules packed with songs they are 'sponsored' to play, it means they like your songs....bizarre as it seems

but if you sit at home just telling yourself how great your music is, but theres no confirmation from cynical outsiders (like radio show producers and DJs) then how do you know you are improving? you could just be going up your own arse