aberdeen-music

Placebo

psydoll

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phoenix_down

i never realised molko tuned up like that. i was looking at bass tabs earlier and they were al in standard so i assumed the geetar was standard as well...interesting tunings though.

Originally posted by phoenix_down:

i never realised molko tuned up like that. i was looking at bass tabs earlier and they were al in standard so i assumed the geetar was standard as well...interesting tunings though.

His excuse is that he was too poor to buy a tuner and his knackered old jaguar always went into that tuning... but i suspect he tuned it to suit his voice, and to try rip off sonic youth.

I think - his voice is too high too sing in E, so he needs to sing in F.

Because he's musically lazy, he doesnt just change key, he tunes up to accomodate (being lazy and all) so he can play easy open chords in F rather than E (where he cant sing)

Wat a clever bar steward

Originally posted by bryn:

Because he's musically lazy, he doesnt just change key, he tunes up to accomodate (being lazy and all) so he can play easy open chords in F rather than E (where he cant sing)

Wat a clever bar steward

Exaclty, it was on his own laziness that the guitars *kinda* gut tuned up to F... Ane it wasn't open, he still had to play power chords, he was actually that lazy! lol

Wat a clever bar steward

He can sing in F, but not in E? One Semitone makes that much difference?

I bought a placebo album once. Cover was exactly the same, CD looked the same, cost me the same, but there was no music on it. Still like it though, for some reason...

Guest phoenix_down
Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

You could argue the point about tuning down also - pointless.

i was gonna bring that up...but i would say theres more use for tuning down than tuneing up.

You could argue the point about tuning down also - pointless.

Nope, think about it...

Tuning up to F is pointless, because that F is totally achievable in standard tuning, hence theres no point in doing it.

You can't hit a low C# in standard tuning

Nope, think about it...

Tuning up to F is pointless, because that F is totally achievable in standard tuning, hence theres no point in doing it.

You can't hit a low C# in standard tuning

But why do you need to play a low C#? That note is in the same register as a bass, so why play it on guitar?

Yeah. But why did he need to? Just coz Hendrix did it doesn't mean that there's a point to it, unless it was to make singing easier for him.

Nothing to do with singing, it's all about the guitar tone as far as I know. Tuning down makes the strings a bit twangier and more resonant to give a bigger tone. Stevie Ray Vaughan did exactly the same, always tuned down to Eb. Maybe easier to do those huge bends too.

I'm pretty sure this is true, but I'm a drummer so it's not my fault if it's bollocks...

I jammed recently with someone who normally tunes to Eb, my guitars were, for some odd reason, tuned to F, he really struggled with the vocals . He wasn't even comfortable in E, so in this case we had to tune to Eb for the vocals.

That's always what I thought capos were for as well, changing the key to suit the vocalist.

So yeah, it may be complete bollocks.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Nothing to do with singing, it's all about the guitar tone as far as I know. Tuning down makes the strings a bit twangier and more resonant to give a bigger tone. Stevie Ray Vaughan did exactly the same, always tuned down to Eb. Maybe easier to do those huge bends too.

I'm pretty sure this is true, but I'm a drummer so it's not my fault if it's bollocks...

Sounds plausible, but SRV used 12's or even 13's IIRC, so the tension on them would be greater.

I'm sure this is true, but I'm a bassist so it may be bollocks