aberdeen-music

Amp repair.....

GraemeC

Re everything since the JCM800 being shit = incorrect. The DSLs are good. However, not AS good. But to say that they are bad is wrong. :)

sorry, but i totally disagree. they are unreliable, overpriced, soulless, fizzy, toothless amplifiers. Maybe with your music shop background you have seen/heard something I havent, but I really think they are poor amplifiers.

as was mentioned earlier, maybe with a mod they sound good, but my question is why on earth would you pay so much for an amp to then spend more on modifying it to sound better????

I agree with eriatarka, marshall cabs do the business, but the heads are really really poor and TOTALLY ride on previous glory.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, but i totally disagree. they are unreliable, overpriced, soulless, fizzy, toothless amplifiers. Maybe with your music shop background you have seen/heard something I havent, but I really think they are poor amplifiers.

as was mentioned earlier, maybe with a mod they sound good, but my question is why on earth would you pay so much for an amp to then spend more on modifying it to sound better????

I agree with eriatarka, marshall cabs do the business, but the heads are really really poor and TOTALLY ride on previous glory.

see heres the point people miss, if you learn how to do the mods yourself it costs hardly anything.

I have 2 DSL's that would give an 1000 amp a run for their money now with only about 10 that was spent on parts.

really nice warm smooth sound with a lot of grunt behind it. also the red channel and green channel have similar top end which was a problem without the mods

in the case of 5150's and boogies, soldanos and so on, amazing amps but when you mod them they become better. there are so much modifications available for the boogies and a lot of people buy them just to mod. it makes the amp more unique tonewise i think.

all down to taste.

yeah, you have a point there r.e. modding. I wouldnt know where to start with modding

during a work meeting with one of the mechatronics professors, we got onto the subject of amp modding (he plays an instrument) he was explaining how amp manufacturers prototype the amps to the highest of specs (like with a lot of innovation and technology), however, they are dumbed down premarket as it gives them an excuse to bring out a better amp in a few years. $$$

yeah, you have a point there r.e. modding. I wouldnt know where to start with modding

during a work meeting with one of the mechatronics professors, we got onto the subject of amp modding (he plays an instrument) he was explaining how amp manufacturers prototype the amps to the highest of specs (like with a lot of innovation and technology), however, they are dumbed down premarket as it gives them an excuse to bring out a better amp in a few years. $$$

a lot of it comes down to the budget as well. its like effects

Pedals that are made by boss sound ok but if you replace a lot of the caps with higher quality metal film ones it makes the pedal sound miles better and also cuts a lot of the noise. but boss makes these pedals to a budget and saves a fortune putting in the cheapest components they can.

AVT's are proper gash.

I had an AVT50 head for a year. It was reliable and everything, and I don't regret buying it because I got it second hand for 50. You're a bit daft if you pay 200+ for an AVT brand new though.

However, they do sound proper crap. Especially the drive channel. You can get away with the clean channel, as it has a bit of a nice crunch to it if you turn the gain up. For a brand new AVT, you could get a second hand JCM900/2000 for the same price.

Hate to spoil the party but could all the "Marshall avt shite" lovers/haters fuck off and start their own thread...:sleeping:

Now, Peavey bass amp, can I get it fixed locally or not...?(

i can easily look inside it if you want but i dont have the testing facilities (dont own a bass guitar or cab for testing it)!!

never looked at a bass amp before to be honest but really guess its not far off a guitar amp

Not through R&B as we don't deal with Peavey at all.

Millers do but I'm not sure of their policies.

Its possibly just bad luck but on the two occasions that I returned amps (1 guitar amp 1bass amp) to R&B its been a complete fiasco, my Laney LC30 went in and I was told the problem was the pre-amp valves, I got it home switched it on and it exploded, it took three weeks to repair after that.

The bass amp also went in with a fairly minor problem under used warranty and came back as it went in...and again...and again, after the third attempt I tested it in the shop, it was just the same so I went balistic...I think it was justified, got it back working and sold it.

Millars...hmm, I have had sooooo many problems with their service department its unreal, my last bad experience was with a pa powered mixer that went in for repair under warranty...after 4 months I was told it was un-repairable, I never saw it again.

Its possibly just bad luck but on the two occasions that I returned amps (1 guitar amp 1bass amp) to R&B its been a complete fiasco, my Laney LC30 went in and I was told the problem was the pre-amp valves, I got it home switched it on and it exploded, it took three weeks to repair after that.

The bass amp also went in with a fairly minor problem under used warranty and came back as it went in...and again...and again, after the third attempt I tested it in the shop, it was just the same so I went balistic...I think it was justified, got it back working and sold it.

Millars...hmm, I have had sooooo many problems with their service department its unreal, my last bad experience was with a pa powered mixer that went in for repair under warranty...after 4 months I was told it was un-repairable, I never saw it again.

I'm sorry to hear that on all 3 accounts :down:

solid state amps shouldnt break that frequently. especially one that you pay so much money for

you could buy a real amp for 350!

This solid state 1967 Vox Supreme has survived for 40 years without any repairs! It could do with a recap now though.

DSC03673.jpg

Btw, it is most definitely a real amp, but not suitable for metal though, thankfully! 8-)

Hehehe, I just got the cab today so I'm using this as an excuse to show it off. :up:

Emerson Williams

dennis marshall - great prices and excellent service. there is nobody in scotland better than this guy

firstly cheers to stuart for posting this guys name, i took my jcm 800 down to his this morning and he sorted a long standing problem in minutes, really knows his stuff. It was a fair drive down from peterhead but definatly worth the drive.

Check him out if your having trouble

• 2 weeks later...