aberdeen-music

Beaches of the Proud + support @ Peacock Visual Arts, Sat 2nd Feb

Vocoustics 1st Eletronica Night

beachesmirror2a_400.jpg

www.myspace.com/beachesoftheproud

Think: Post -rock bands like Mogwai/Explosions in the Sky, mixed with the more electronic influences of Warp artists.

For fans of: Sigur Ros, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Mogwai, Mum, Godspeed you Black Emperor!, Explosions in the Sky.

"As soaring and celestial as Boards of Canada playing on a balloon ride to Atlantis"

METRO

"You can hear the heart and passion in the recording, it has a life that most electronica lacks. If folk noir and antifolk have an instrumental counterpart this is it."

FATEA

"With [Webster's] multi-layered approach, he takes you from crashing, crushing crescendos to subtle, sensitive serenity - music for the mind, music for the moment... a mighty fine outing that shows guts, dedication and innovation"

TOXIC PETE

"This is a highly impressive EP. It's steeped in complexities, excellent song writing but most of all displays a level of humanity that is so often missing from electronic acts. 10/10"

TASTY FANZINE

"The most important element of this EP is that Beaches have kept on their toes, changing things around and avoiding formula-songs to make each of the five tracks appealing in its own right"

THE MAG

"Among the more contemporary and obvious influences like Boards of Canada or Mogwai, you can hear echoes of Durutti Column, at least to these ears. Not only is this refreshing but like Vini Reilly all those years ago in the milieu of punk it is at times inspiring work."

BAD ROBOT

BIO:

"Beaches of the Proud is an electronica/IDM/Ambient/Downtempo act formed by Dave Webster, who used to be the Guitarist/Synthist/Vocalist from Glasgow band The Makos. It started off as a side project from The Makos, containing songs that didn't really fit in with the direction we were going, however, it kind of snowballed, and after I got some great feedback on the music and playing the songs live, I've now turned Beaches into a regular live act, with (occasional) visuals and everything.

If you've seen/heard of Beaches before, I really recommend you come and see a few live shows, as I work very hard to make each show as "live" as possible, and different to the last one, which involves new songs, different versions of old songs, and new segues. It's mostly improvisation based, so sometimes even I don't totally know whats going to happen. I DO NOT USE COMPUTERS its all done on hardware sequencers etc and live instruments, I just feel its a bit more exciting to see music being created live rather than staring at a laptop screen."

Support TBC

5 from 8pm

Aye loads

I quite fancy showing Aberdeen what I am capable of doing using found objects, percussion, drums and eclectic electric stuff on my own.

Anyone interested in this sort of thing?

It will sound a bit like Paella - violin bow on cymbals and other atmospheric stuff .

I quite fancy showing Aberdeen what I am capable of doing using found objects, percussion, drums and eclectic electric stuff on my own.

Anyone interested in this sort of thing?

It will sound a bit like Paella - violin bow on cymbals and other atmospheric stuff .

sounds interesting, will you be wearing a gorilla outift?

Help ma kilt

this was written in culturedelux.com

Now, it's not often that the drummer steals the show, but tonight local sticksman and sometime standup comic Biz the drummer is sitting in for Miss the Occupier. Armed with a syn drum artillery and frequently checking some hastily-written instructions, it's very hard to take your eyes of Mr Biz as he keeps perfect time while flamboyantly twirling his sticks between beats.

BizMon23rdAprilMisstheoccupierTunne.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cor time flies

the gig is THIS weekend, ooh I bet ye canna wait, feel free to come in fancy dress .

I widnae mind scoffing your carry oot tae, so mak it a good ane - nae whisky, gyad sakes min, got ony fancy pieces or lager?.

Doors open 8pm , hang around and marvel at the artwork and weird implements for half an hour then BANG , CRASH, WALLOP, I'll nae doot perform cunning stunts and acts of prestidigitation like you have never seen or something.