aberdeen-music

did anyone buy the sunday times last week?

framheim

Guest Neutral
won't be able to get to the library till next saturday, good suggestion though. if no one manages to confirm it i'll check that out.

You could try phoning them to find out until you get a copy, all the papers are stored electronically at canary wharf or somewhere they would be able to do a search instantly for you

Guest idol_wild

It made no fucking difference anyway. The place was pretty empty til around 1am. If the bands hadn't done all the ticket selling themselves then The Tunnels would have been pretty empty. And even then, I know for a fact that two of the bands decided to not take their share of the 7 ticket price, and opt to sell them for 5 instead.

As far as I'm aware, none of the bands received payment.

Total sham.

Guest bluesxman

Not meaning to cause offense to any of the bands on the bill, but I find it hard to believe that the Sunday Times would put a gig in The Tunnels featuring all local acts in the Top Ten things to do on Hogmanay list based on any sort of knowledge, if it did feature surely it must have been a random pick from some other listing to include representation from around the country????

Guest idol_wild
Not meaning to cause offense to any of the bands on the bill, but I find it hard to believe that the Sunday Times would put a gig in The Tunnels featuring all local acts in the Top Ten things to do on Hogmanay list based on any sort of knowledge, if it did feature surely it must have been a random pick from some other listing to include representation from around the country????

I'm thinking it was possibly the venue who contacted the publication. I daresay the publication knew of little else that was going on in Scotland other than Edinburgh and Aberdeen street parties! So they needed something or other to beef it up to a top ten. 8-)

Guest bluesxman
I'm thinking it was possibly the venue who contacted the publication. I daresay the publication knew of little else that was going on in Scotland other than Edinburgh and Aberdeen street parties! So they needed something or other to beef it up to a top ten. 8-)

Well according to the Evening Expressive some 20,000 folk turned out to see Travis. Which in addition to explaining the lack of Tunnels business also indicates how peoples taste turns to pish at New Year for the sake of Auld Lang Syne.

I watched Still Game and went to bed whilst quaffing champagne.

I should be at your gig next week though. I request a cover of 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?'.

Guest idol_wild
Well according to the Evening Expressive some 20,000 folk turned out to see Travis. Which in addition to explaining the lack of Tunnels business also indicates how peoples taste turns to pish at New Year for the sake of Auld Lang Syne.

Sadly, the majority of Kartta did an exceptionally ragged and out of tune ad hoc version of Auld Lang Syne at the gig.

I watched Still Game and went to bed whilst quaffing champagne..

You are officially an old man now.

I should be at your gig next week though. I request a cover of 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?'.

It will be very good to see you and maybe have a beer/shandy or two. Get that woman of yours along too, if at all possible.

Guest bluesxman
Sadly, the majority of Kartta did an exceptionally ragged and out of tune ad hoc version of Auld Lang Syne at the gig.

You are officially an old man now.

It will be very good to see you and maybe have a beer/shandy or two. Get that woman of yours along too, if at all possible.

I somewhat made up for it on New Years night. Although not to the dizzy heights of last year when I woke up the following evening 10 minutes before I was supposed to be at band practice feeling a bit ill.my attendance next week kind of depends on whether my good lady is working or not so it will be me or nothingyou can just buy me her drinks too ;)

It made no fucking difference anyway. The place was pretty empty til around 1am. If the bands hadn't done all the ticket selling themselves then The Tunnels would have been pretty empty. And even then, I know for a fact that two of the bands decided to not take their share of the 7 ticket price, and opt to sell them for 5 instead.

As far as I'm aware, none of the bands received payment.

Total sham.

have you asked for any money? i was told specifically that the ticket money was just a bonus so perhaps we should ask first before calling it a sham.

twasn't as busy as it could've been right enough but it was still one of our busier gigs. and we all had a good laugh too.

I watched Still Game and went to bed whilst quaffing champagne.

Is 20,000 that much? Apparently 12,000 watched the fireballs in Stonehaven, and I'm sure that doesn't get nearly as much funding! (I'm aware that it is different councils).

Not meaning to cause offense to any of the bands on the bill, but I find it hard to believe that the Sunday Times would put a gig in The Tunnels featuring all local acts in the ‘Top Ten things to do on Hogmanay’ list based on any sort of knowledge, if it did feature surely it must have been a random pick from some other listing to include representation from around the country????

IME, very often the nationals are poor at compiling their listings as mostly only the major events, promotors etc submit info. So, if you are contacting them (or their listings agents) directly, it is very easy to get in.

:)

Guest idol_wild
have you asked for any money? i was told specifically that the ticket money was just a bonus so perhaps we should ask first before calling it a sham.

I don't think a band should have to ask for the payment. In any instance. Ever.

Though to be fair: Michael probably received the payment and used it to pay his rent ;)