aberdeen-music

The Golden Compass

Metarie

Ok, just seen it and am distinctly unimpressed. The acting by everyone apart from the guy who played Lee Scorsby was horribly wooden, the film itself was edited in such a way that the story jumped around and seemed to skip stuff that made a few scenes seem very rushed, things weren'texplained properly (Dust, gobblers, the bond between person and daemon) and the ending was just shite.

Rage!

What did you all reckon? I'm quite surprised because I heard that Philip Pullman was very happy with the end result and it seemed like a load of fantasy nonsense all bundled together and chucked at the screen.

I knew I should have gone to see Enchanted :(

I thought it was abseloute bollocks, with the exception of the lee scoresby character. I though that the kids acting in it, who is being hailed as a child prodigy, was abseloute shite. I can't even remember the characters name. As for the storyline of the dust and deamons aswell as the witches swooping in at the end apparently having nothing to do with anything was abseloute shite too.

Utter waste of money

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it.

but...I was with a 10 year old.

you miserable fuckers were looking at it with "grown up" heads on.

the pace was fast, and they did skip / fly over bits from the book...but if they didn't, it'd be longer than 2 hours (which didn't seem long to me!)

my 10 year old niece thought it was fantastic, no comments about pish CGI, no comments about plot holes, no comments about wooden acting (she got right into it, and thought the "kids" in the film were ace (even if they were bad actors!).)

so...go see it with a kid, and get a new perspective you old (young) farts.

I thought it was abseloute bollocks, with the exception of the lee scoresby character.

Utter waste of money

Yeah...Sam Elliott...but I thought I was watching the Big Lebowski at first, as his character seemed the same!

I agree with Lepeep....if you just relaxed and enjoyed it, it was a heap of fun. I liked the book, and enjoyed the film too....my g/f hadn't read the book, but thought the film was great.

Yeah...Sam Elliott...but I thought I was watching the Big Lebowski at first, as his character seemed the same!

I agree with Lepeep....if you just relaxed and enjoyed it, it was a heap of fun. I liked the book, and enjoyed the film too....my g/f hadn't read the book, but thought the film was great.

Sam Elliot only ever plays Sam Elliot and films are always better of it. Sam is ACE!

Thought the film was not too bad but as with Mr Peep I was with a 10 year old. Bit wordy... Not the best film I have ever seen by any stretch but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Sam Elliot only ever plays Sam Elliot and films are always better of it. Sam is ACE!

Thought the film was not too bad but as with Mr Peep I was with a 10 year old. Bit wordy... Not the best film I have ever seen by any stretch but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

I was surprised that my Niece wasn't fidgeting at all the wordy parts...not a squeak from her the whole film! it was ace watching her get worried for lyra at the bridge crossing, and the bear fight had her on the edge of her seat! he he.

She didn't get all the concepts (dust and why certainly people changed "roles" half way through the film) but she loved the story on the whole.

I loved the look and feel of "london"..especially that three wheeled carriage that took them to Mrs Coulter's house...