aberdeen-music

New "artist" - Debutant

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
that one song with no words reminds me of something and it's bugging the fuck out of me

really good though

Post-recording, it reminded me of Eluvium actually. Which is a good thing.

But not, at the same time.

Guest idol_wild
I had a listen to it. I really liked the guitar work and the atmosphere created. Although i feel it lacked a few things. I think some percussion would fit in very nice, and a few different layers. Wouldn't mind a vocal or two either.

Stripped down is the way forward ;)

Or maybe not, it seems! :)

Guest idol_wild
In this case you haven't stipped anything down...because there's nothing stripped up in the first place :p I quite like a minimal idea about having loads of potential things just on the edge of bursting into fruition...but never quite, or if they do, only fleetingly.

You're never pleased! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to listen though - it is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
I thought instrumentals were 'old hat' phil, to quote the words of your beautiful self.:cheers:

Lovely stuff though. Look forward to hearing more as always.

Fuck you, prick. :gringo:

They are old hat if you're doing nothing but instrumentals! ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest idol_wild
Very, very, very good tune. I like. I must get along to see you play, just hasn't been convenient yet....

Thank you. I have nothing booked for the remainder of this year though, ha. Not that next year is all that far away, mind :)

Guest idol_wild
Nice work Phil, the song builds up really well, but without getting overpowering or bombastic. And, as an instrumental it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Plus, I doubt I will ever get tired of listening to guitars smothered in reverb and delay.

How are you recording this anyways?

Thankies, Jan.

My good friend Robert Smith allowed me to record this in his flat on a computer. I have another tune with all the guitars down and just the vocal to be recorded, which will hopefully be done this weekend.

So yes, big thanks to Rob for taking the time and effort. :up:

Thankies, Jan.

My good friend Robert Smith allowed me to record this in his flat on a computer. I have another tune with all the guitars down and just the vocal to be recorded, which will hopefully be done this weekend.

So yes, big thanks to Rob for taking the time and effort. :up:

Pfft, shameless namedropping! ;)

To be totally honest id listen to more of the first bunch of ride ep's, and their first two albums to really get some inspiration. I can see what you're trying to do with some of your stuff but it is wide of the mark. Means To An End is very My Bloody Valentine and not even loveless era but the album before BUT i never got the hype over them anyway. There were much better bands that did that stuff and actually had songs i.e. Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive who i see are in your list of influences. Keep at it. You definitely have something that will only get better. Remember. This is all my opinion and others seem to love the stuff already so all good.

Guest idol_wild
To be totally honest id listen to more of the first bunch of ride ep's, and their first two albums to really get some inspiration. I can see what you're trying to do with some of your stuff but it is wide of the mark. Means To An End is very My Bloody Valentine and not even loveless era but the album before BUT i never got the hype over them anyway. There were much better bands that did that stuff and actually had songs i.e. Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive who i see are in your list of influences. Keep at it. You definitely have something that will only get better. Remember. This is all my opinion and others seem to love the stuff already so all good.

It's all good - I appreciate your criticism and honesty.

But hey, you're banned now so I guess you won't be reading this in a hurry.

Guest treader.

I don't really understand what BenWep/highroller/wolfbiker/quinnsdude/MMW was even trying to say there...

I like the tune, and I can say that without trying to tell you who you ought to sound like.

Guest idol_wild
I don't really understand what BenWep/highroller/wolfbiker/quinnsdude/MMW was even trying to say there...

I like the tune, and I can say that without trying to tell you who you ought to sound like.

Thank you.

I think he was just trying to put across that he really likes shoegaze music, basically, but only if:

a) It is executed by a full band, and

b) It isn't My Bloody Valentine

But, strangely, I'm more influenced by ambient/drone/post-rock than I am shoegaze. But hey :D

Plus, I am one man - so sounding like a full band is quite challenging.