aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2008

Lemonade

Has anyone bought this yet? I've been playing the series for about 10 years and I'm totally hooked on FM 2007. I was planning getting FM2008 but having read all the 50 customer reviews on Amazon it sounds like it's a half-finished pile of shite riddled with frustrating bugs. Amazon.co.uk: Reviews for Football Manager 2008 (PC): PC & Video Games

What's the ab-music verdict? Should I just stick with the frankly superb FM 2007? (Which I am kicking ass at btw!)

Guest idol_wild

It runs quicker than FM07? Amazing.

I think I'll wait and get FM08 in about January. Not only might it be cheaper, but newer patches will be available for download.

FM07 still takes up plenty time and provides a decent challenge for me meantime.

It runs quicker than FM07? Amazing.

I think I'll wait and get FM08 in about January. Not only might it be cheaper, but newer patches will be available for download.

FM07 still takes up plenty time and provides a decent challenge for me meantime.

You can get it for 14 on Amazon just now. The scathing reviews might be something to do with that....

I too am still loving FM07. Had succesful games with Portsmouth and Chelsea before getting bored. My current game i did 3 seasons at Celtic and won pretty much everything but the Champions League, with 85-90% Scots in my squad,average age 23. I then fancied a new challenge so I took over Parma mid-season who were sitting bottom of Serie A, absolutely no money, miles over their wage budget, most of the first team coming to the end of their contracts and not enough cash to offer them new ones. I've got them into mid-table with no signings, don't know yet whether I'll have any players for next season, I've got most of my first team up for sale to free up the wage bill and get some bucks for them before they leave for free.....

Guest idol_wild

My finest achievement in FM07 is probably conquering the domestic and European stage with Sunderland after just two seasons and contuning to win everything for another five seasons.

FM08 is a corker. The skin is fucking disgusting and without the beta patch there is a ridiculous closing down bug in the match engine that is very irritating, but if you get the patch and a new skin it's dynamite. Just completed my first season as Derby, finished 16th and the board decided to give me a 25m transfer budget for the second season o_O. Kenny Miller managed to score a monster 2 goals in 25 appearances, but I still managed to offload him to Everton for 4m, ha! Sign Mika Aaritalo, he's a fucking titan.

Well worth investing in, just make sure you don't have any important deadlines coming up.

Personally I think a lot of the bugs mentioned in the amazon reviews are imaginary, people trying to play it like fm2007 and failing after half a season (3 games in one case) so they'll blame the software rather than their tactics and personnel.

There are bugs though, it's certainly not perfect but still more than playable. People say it's harder but I'm in pretty much the same position after 9 seasons that I was with fm2007, using the same starting point (unemployed sunday footballer in england). It's harder to get consistency but I think that may be down to the tactics and/or pitch size having more of an effect. I don't think you can use a "one size fits all" formation any more.

I tip for people with computers near the minimum spec: switch off the staff photos in display settings, so much faster in between games, especially if you're doing a lot of scouting.

Guest idol_wild
Personally I think a lot of the bugs mentioned in the amazon reviews are imaginary, people trying to play it like fm2007 and failing after half a season (3 games in one case) so they'll blame the software rather than their tactics and personnel.

There are bugs though, it's certainly not perfect but still more than playable. People say it's harder but I'm in pretty much the same position after 9 seasons that I was with fm2007, using the same starting point (unemployed sunday footballer in england). It's harder to get consistency but I think that may be down to the tactics and/or pitch size having more of an effect. I don't think you can use a "one size fits all" formation any more.

I kind of hope it's harder than FM2007. But I do hope they cut out those times when you know you're going to get beat because the AI has decided it's time. Almost every season I know exactly which game it'll happen in, so I save it beforehand and reply it over and over, with different tactics each time, in an attempt to conquer the AI. But it's impossible. Even if you dominate the game in terms of possession, completed passes, and efforts on goal, the AI will score an own-goal and give a last minute duff penalty. It's infuriating.

But hey. I'm looking forward to getting it in. I'm going to start as Wycombe Wanderers. Because I like their colours.

FM07 can be predictable at times. You can always tell when you're giving a giving a heroic performance away from home you're going to get sunk with a last minute goal. Or if you watch the key highlights and you see one of your players get booked it's a fairly safe bet that as soon as they take the free kick he;ll chop someone down and get a second yellow about thirty seconds later. My only real grumble with it is the massive gulf in difficulty between playing at home and playing away. Sure it's gotta be a little bit tougher not having your fans there etc. but it's fucking almost impossible to get a result away from home if you're a mid table team. Even if you're playing as Chelsea it can be a struggle getting 3 points at somewhere like Bolton or Fulham.

Plus, it's virtually impossible to get the ball off that cunt Colin Samuell.

I think I'll download the 6 month demo of FM08 and see how I get on with it. I'm not sure I'll enjoy it so much if it's all tactics, tactics, tactics - I tend to find tactics at the start of the season that work best with the players i have in my squad then not tinker with them to much if it's working. Plus if you change formations you inevitably get slagged off in the press for trying a "previously untested formation".

The demo is here: FOOTBALL MANAGER 2008

I kind of hope it's harder than FM2007. But I do hope they cut out those times when you know you're going to get beat because the AI has decided it's time. Almost every season I know exactly which game it'll happen in, so I save it beforehand and reply it over and over, with different tactics each time, in an attempt to conquer the AI. But it's impossible. Even if you dominate the game in terms of possession, completed passes, and efforts on goal, the AI will score an own-goal and give a last minute duff penalty. It's infuriating.

But hey. I'm looking forward to getting it in. I'm going to start as Wycombe Wanderers. Because I like their colours.

Doesn't that add to the realism though? It's not that unusual for a team to just be off the boil for a few games a season and lose/draw games they dominate (in real life). I reckon they set up some of the important parameters way before the team selection, probably after your last match, so you're flogging a dead horse trying to win a game you're already set up to do badly in if you're saving just before the match and replaying from there.

I used to cheat when I played to make sure I won everything (ie saving before every game and replaying it if I lost) but then the win and ultimately the trophy don't mean anything as you know from the start you're going to win it. Sure you end up being the best manager but it feels kinda hollow.... I've enjoyed it miles more when I've played without cheating, actually standing up at my desk yelling at my players, cheering with excitement when I've scored, and the elation when I clinched the Serie A was second to none..... I was actually jumping up and down. In the office.

Guest idol_wild
Doesn't that add to the realism though? It's not that unusual for a team to just be off the boil for a few games a season and lose/draw games they dominate (in real life). I reckon they set up some of the important parameters way before the team selection, probably after your last match, so you're flogging a dead horse trying to win a game you're already set up to do badly in if you're saving just before the match and replaying from there.

Not when you just know exactly which game in which it'll happen...

Guest Steven Dedalus
My finest achievement in FM07 is probably conquering the domestic and European stage with Sunderland after just two seasons and contuning to win everything for another five seasons.

Actually, I thought your finest achievment was that time where I came into the house and you were watching Saturday Grandstand, playing Football Manager on Sarah's laptop, AND wearing a football kit!

Great times.

Guest idol_wild
Actually, I thought your finest achievment was that time where I came into the house and you were watching Saturday Grandstand, playing Football Manager on Sarah's laptop, AND wearing a football kit!

Great times.

I miss lounging around in full football replica attire.