aberdeen-music

Cross dressing at Turriff Academy

Chris

One of the funniest articles I've read in the P&J for ages:

PARENT SHOCKED BY 'CROSS-DRESSING' DAY FOR PUPILS IN AID OF CHILDREN IN NEED

08:50 - 16 November 2007

A Parent has expressed her "shock and disgust" at plans for pupils at a north-east secondary school to dress as the opposite sex today to raise money for Children In Need.

The woman, whose son attends Turriff Academy, said she felt it was "wholly inappropriate" for a school to promote cross-dressing among impressionable youngsters.

She said: "Let them wear fancy dress by all means, but this is something of a sexual nature and that is why it's unacceptable.

"I think this is the slippery slope to moral decline and something like a vicars and tarts party."

Aberdeenshire Council's education service yesterday said the themed dress day was meant purely as fun and no pupil was compelled to take part.

A spokesman said: "Fundraising activities at the school often involve fancy dress and this year pupils are invited to dress as their male or female counterparts.

"There is no obligation to take part, but those who do not want to are asked to wear regular school uniform on what is usually a non-uniform day." He said the school had not received any complaints from parents about the planned dress theme, which is among a number of events arranged by the school charities committee.

The Turriff mother, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals against her son, said the dress as the opposite sex day had been highlighted in a school newsletter.

She said: "The newsletter said pupils must make an effort to follow the theme which signifies to me there is no option.

"My son doesn't want to dress up as a girl and is quite upset about this.

"I have nothing against raising money for Children In Need but I think this is wholly inappropriate for a school."

She asked if staff would be cross-dressing as well, and how future respect and discipline could be maintained if teachers took part.

The council spokesman said teachers at Turriff would not be dressing as members of the opposite sex but would be taking part in fundraising for Children in Need.

He said the information in the school newsletter that pupils "must make an effort to follow the theme" was meant as encouragement and was not an instruction.

He said: "It was written by the school charities committee, and perhaps a better form of words could have been chosen."

The boy's mother said she would be contacting the school to make her concerns known.

She claimed that the event could lead topupils being bullied, teased or made to feel awkward.

She said: "My son will not be at school dressed as a girl.

"However, his fear is that as it is a dress as the opposite sex day, if he dresses as a boy, people will say he is gay."

this is north scotland - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

"However, his fear is that as it is a dress as the opposite sex day, if he dresses as a boy, people will say he is gay."

I love it when Daily Mail readers tie themselves in knots...

YouTube - Absolutely: The Nice Family visit a travel agent

Absolutely, I was shaking my head at the logical leaps required to reach her conclusion. I also had to chuckle at her wishing to remain anonymous due to her "fear of reprisals" - I had visions of an angry mob of cross-dressing farmers descending on her house to seek revenge for her homophobic outbursts.

There was a guy at Mintlaw academy about 10 years back turned up to school one day in a dress. When questioned about it he simply replied it was a hot day and he wanted to keep cool. He got sent home and went to the papers with the story. There was a picture of him in a blue dress with flowers all over it. Way to get yourself beat up every day for the rest of your life.

Who on Earth thought that getting adolescent boys to dress up as girls was a good idea? All the guys here, think back to what school was like when you were fourteen...then picture it again, only this time you're wearing a dress. Character building or what?

I dunno, if everyone was doing it for charity it could hve been a laugh. My character probably couldn't have sunk much lower when I was 14 anyway...