aberdeen-music

Selling things to make money when you really need it

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I just got hit with a bill for 580 for some architectural work that needs to be paid within 30 days (long enough ago that the 30 days will end before next month's pay) and at the weekend I noticed my breaks were grinding (probably should have paid some notice to that advisory note on July's MOT to get the pads and discs changed) which is gonna cost me around 120 plus VAT :down:

Luckily I can pay these bills, but I'm not exactly gonna be diving into piles of gold like Scrooge McDuck afterwards, so I had a great idea of selling some shit - after all, my flat's probably full of useless stuff. But I can't think of anything to sell, so I need some healthy discussion. What are your favourite things to cash in when the money gets tight? How much do you sell these things for? Will I ever leave a life of constant bills and financial strife?

I just got hit with a bill for 580 for some architectural work that needs to be paid within 30 days (long enough ago that the 30 days will end before next month's pay) and at the weekend I noticed my breaks were grinding (probably should have paid some notice to that advisory note on July's MOT to get the pads and discs changed) which is gonna cost me around 120 plus VAT :down:

Luckily I can pay these bills, but I'm not exactly gonna be diving into piles of gold like Scrooge McDuck afterwards, so I had a great idea of selling some shit - after all, my flat's probably full of useless stuff. But I can't think of anything to sell, so I need some healthy discussion. What are your favourite things to cash in when the money gets tight? How much do you sell these things for? Will I ever leave a life of constant bills and financial strife?

Tough break bro :down:

If you don't absolutely need your car - punt it.

What have you got to sell? - assuming you're referring to musical-related stuff.

Do a pro and con analysis on your possessions - keep the irreplacable, punt the nice-to-have's and unecessary.

One tip - if you have hi-fi gear, DON'T sell it - itheymake fuck-all 2nd hand and are expensive to replace.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

equipment wise i wouldn't want to sell my drums, so I'm left with:

1 x moog mg1 - could get a decent amount for it, and dont even play it that much, but am rather fond of it

1 x cheap see through electric guitar, can't remember the brand, could maybe get 30 quid for it or something

1 x very bad encore acoustic guitar - a fiver's worth?

Unless I can find some recording stuff that I no longer need, and I think i've nearly exhausted that particular 'goldmine'!

So I guess I'll have a look for clothes, cds and dvds when I get home then!

Guest idol_wild

Tough break, Tom. I'm constantly in the same boat. It's frustrating. It used to be so easy to get 50 on the spot by selling a stack of albums in to One Up; but they've since restructured their second hand department by: a) paying less money to the seller, and b) hiking up the price on the shelves. Which seems crazy, given they made a healthy amount from their previous system. So I'd avoid that now.

Other than that, I can only second the musical gear. Especially the likes of effects pedals.

If you advertise your clothes well on ebay, there is some money to be made out of that.

Guest Neutral

rip your cds then sell them

books

any electronic equipment not used in the last 3 months - toaster, games console etc

Any furniture you can do without

Alloy wheels ;) - just get nice wheels with nice shiny hubcaps

as idol_wild said sell your clothing, but i think you need some good taste in that department to be successful o_O

equipment wise i wouldn't want to sell my drums, so I'm left with:

1 x moog mg1 - could get a decent amount for it, and dont even play it that much, but am rather fond of it

1 x cheap see through electric guitar, can't remember the brand, could maybe get 30 quid for it or something

1 x very bad encore acoustic guitar - a fiver's worth?

Unless I can find some recording stuff that I no longer need, and I think i've nearly exhausted that particular 'goldmine'!

So I guess I'll have a look for clothes, cds and dvds when I get home then!

Alan Cynic was looking for a cheapo electric - maybe you should PM him

I got stung with an 800 bill for a deposit on a new flat this morning so I am in exactly the same boat. I'll be having an Ebay clearance very soon. Stuff I've sold in the past :

My washburn guitar

a 4x24 inch Marshall cabinet

100w Carlsboro amp

my Sony direct drive decks (that was a sore one)

Playstation 2 and games.

One place I've made easy money in the past is mobile phones on Ebay. Rake through a drawer for some old mobiles, even ones 3-4 years old take in about 30-40 if they still work, anything up to 100 for more recent models. Everybody's got a drawer full of old phones. Old broken shit goes pretty good as well on Ebay, I got 40 for a broken Playstation 2 that was 4 years old. And bizarrely I've made money off old trainers on Ebay if I give them a clean up first.

Cash Converters are an option, though I hate the soulless satanist cunts, but at least you can hock your gear to them for some short term coinage and get it back for 20 more or so when you have some money again.

• 7 months later...