aberdeen-music

Saudi Royal Visit

Completely outraged.

Brutal regime that tortures, publically executes (at least 120 so far this year) and amputates it's subjects is granted red carpet treatment in the UK.

Some of you may also remember that Tony Blair cancelled the enquirey into the arms deal with Saudi Arabia. Politician cancelling an equirey into himself and his croneys? great

To make matters worse, there is always some pundit placed on TV describing Saudi Arabia as an 'important partner' and talking of 'shared vlaues'.

Weren't 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers from Saudi Arabia?

Even the US has a far less friendly stance on Saudi Arabia these days.

I went onto the Daily Telegraph website. They had no mention of it on their main page. When you went into the 'news' section, I came across this article which mainly consits of decribing the banquetting conditions and the sort of food eaten. Practically no mention of the controversial nature of the visit and absolutely no mention of how brutal the Saudi Regime is. Also greatly important that Gordon Brown chose to wear a white tie.

Protests, pomp and a PM in white tie - Telegraph

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Completely outraged.

Brutal regime that tortures, publically executes (at least 120 so far this year) and amputates it's subjects is granted red carpet treatment in the UK.

Hope you're equally outraged when George Bush visits the UK.

:up:

The George Bush visit was also unsuitable and should have been cancelled or not planned in the first place.

I remember being glad to see large numbers of people protest against the Bush visit in London. If I was in London at the time I may have concidered joining them. I also think the numbers would have been greater had it not been on a weekday.

Doesnt matter what their human rights record was or is, and as much as we can hate giving them the red carpet treatment:

"Saudi Arabia is the UKs 23rd largest export market, with exports worth 1.676.2bn in 2006. It is the UKs largest trading partner in the Middle East and our second largest export market in the region after the UAE. The UK is Saudi Arabia's second largest foreign investor after the USA." (www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk)

therefore they are looked after

Saudi Arabia is a repressive country. Women have no life, around 1 million Christians in the country and not allowed Churches, Executions, torture, suicide bombers ....etc.

"Oh shit, we have been attacked by mostly Saudi Arabian terrorists...mmm...what will we do? Attack..em...Iraq".

Seriously, Blair and Bush...you are attacked the wrong country.

As for Gordon Brown. You fucking hypocrite.

ah, if only the real world was so simple that we could just turn our backs to the bad people and pretend they're not there, maybe even stick our fingers in our ears and go "lalalalalalalalala".

a bit of schmoozing can go a long way you know and will probably lead to better reforms than sanctions or military action would. should we also not speak to china, india, pakistan and well, any other country that's not in europe? i should also point out that our human rights record is far from perfect with the law lords just yesterday announcing that control orders were a breach of human rights.

As terrible as the UK's recent breaches of human rights and attacks on civil liberties are they hardly on par with Sauri Arabia's annual 120+ public executions, amputations and giving women very few rights.

Recent events have shown the UK tends to overstate it's influence on foriegn powers. I certianly do not think we should have sold Saudi Arabia the largest quantity of arms in UK history on the sketchy basis we might manage to influence them slightly when it will probably end up being the other way round, after all, they have more oil than us.

It wouldn't suprise me if in 20 years time British or American troops are fighting against Saudi forces armed with the weapons we sold them now. History does tend to repeat itself.