aberdeen-music

Racebannon???

unbroken

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a good ending to a completely pointless debate actually.

Does there have to be a point to eveyrything?

Life would be pretty dull if everything we did had to have a point - maybe things would be more passionate, but if you can't switch off sometimes, you'll just burn yourself out.

Right, first off, to say you don't like them, thats fair, not everyones cup of tea. Maybe you didn't listen to them, oh well, thats your problem, but to actually say a band are shit because they have had a low amount of plays on lastfm? You really are a bigger tool than anyone could ever imagine.

Are you stupid?

This bands aim was never to be superstars, they tour the world, they make music, and they have fans who would follow them to the ends of the earth. Probably more than you have ever accopmlished, am I right?

And, there are people IN ABERDEEN, who care about hearing music like this, and if you arent one of them, then why make a comment in the first place? Because you feel that your opinion needs to be voiced? Newsflash mate, no one cares. You just make a cock of yourself every time you go on one of these rants.

And I'm not trying to be the all guiding musical force of aberdeen like you are making out, I'm simply pointing out that people may be missing out if they dont give them a listen.

Idiot

What, because I don't have time for pointless posturing? After all, if they were that great, most of us would've in fact heard of them. But the fact that "most of us probably haven't heard them" says that (especially in light of how long they appear to have been on the go) they must be absolutely dreadful.

Oh please. Surely even you don't seriously believe that?

You're a breast.

Right, first off, to say you don't like them, thats fair, not everyones cup of tea. Maybe you didn't listen to them, oh well, thats your problem, but to actually say a band are shit because they have had a low amount of plays on lastfm? You really are a bigger tool than anyone could ever imagine.

Are you stupid?

This bands aim was never to be superstars, they tour the world, they make music, and they have fans who would follow them to the ends of the earth. Probably more than you have ever accopmlished, am I right?

And, there are people IN ABERDEEN, who care about hearing music like this, and if you arent one of them, then why make a comment in the first place? Because you feel that your opinion needs to be voiced? Newsflash mate, no one cares. You just make a cock of yourself every time you go on one of these rants.

And I'm not trying to be the all guiding musical force of aberdeen like you are making out, I'm simply pointing out that people may be missing out if they dont give them a listen.

Idiot

First things first, why the vitriol? Using abusive, personal insults doesn't help you articulate your point in any coherent or particularly effective way - all it does is make it sound like you've written the response in a fit of anger. Maybe you have, I don't know.

Secondly, I said they were shit because of the fact that they have had such a low amount of plays *combined* with widespread availability of their CD. Let's be honest - would you be happy if you had a CD available at Amazon and Play, yet barely anyone appeared to actually be listening to your stuff? I doubt it - no matter what you say, it can't be good for the personal ego to see that. It's also a bloody good sign that no-one is actually buying the CD either - so really, they most probably are absolutely shit.

As for what I've accomplished - sure, they have done more than me in music. My musical career consists of various bad songs made and an epic emptying of Drummonds on a Friday night after Volvo Death Spell's one and only gig. But that's a different story - I don't want to be a musician and be associated with a lot of the bullshit, nor do I want to be idolised by anyone.

But hang on. If no-one cares, why are they bothering to reply? Why are you bothering to reply if you don't care? Is it the case that maybe, just maybe, these rants are hitting home a lot harder than you want to admit?

And be honest - if you were interested in posting out what people might be missing, wouldn't it have been sensible to provide a link to their music so that anyone interested could give it a listen?

Oh please. Surely even you don't seriously believe that?

I dunno, it's up to you to decide whether or not I do.

How popular they are on last.fm, how many albums they sell or how many times they get played on the radio is completely irrelevant. If that is the kind of criteria you use to decide whether a band is "shite" or not then you don't like music in my opinion.

Here endeth the leason. :up:

<Debate Art vs Commerce as much as you want....>

Guest Savant
...if something is unheard of on there despite widespread availability, then you know it's not regarded as any good - and you can make your own conclusions based on that.

So you let other people decide what is good by going by last FM charts?

That's where you're going wrong. But it's you who's missing out.

By your 'logic', spice girls (or whoever) have 10, 000% more record sales than Racebannon, therefore they're much better. And are better musicians/artists too.

PS I haven't heard of racebannon either but I haven't written them off as shite.

Secondly, I said they were shit because of the fact that they have had such a low amount of plays *combined* with widespread availability of their CD. Let's be honest - would you be happy if you had a CD available at Amazon and Play, yet barely anyone appeared to actually be listening to your stuff? I doubt it - no matter what you say, it can't be good for the personal ego to see that. It's also a bloody good sign that no-one is actually buying the CD either - so really, they most probably are absolutely shit.
If the CD is available.....maybe people have bought it....and listen to it on *shock* a stereo or in a car.....ie not on a computer thats hooked up to Last.fm

You bell-end.

If the CD is available.....maybe people have bought it....and listen to it on *shock* a stereo or in a car.....ie not on a computer thats hooked up to Last.fm

You bell-end.

racebannon in AMAZON.CO.UK and PLAY.CO.UK SHOKAZ

i heard they are more into selling vinyl by playing all over the world and making them available through distros

Guest treader.

the toy dolls are an example of a band that have been around for DECADES yet never achieved mainstream success outside britain.

and are still not a "household name" in britain.

but just ask last.fm, they'll let you know how "good!" they are.

You bell-end.

Are you completely incapable of making a point without resorting to pathetic insults? I know you're infactuated by me to the point where you go around telling anyone that'll listen, but really..this lust has to end. It's really not healthy.

Let's be honest for a minute here - the chances are that the people that listen to that type of music are also likely to be well aquainted with computers - after all, computer geekery and obscure music do go hand in hand, witness some of the MP3 blogs going about for confirmation of that. Given that the type of music is also listened by people who want to be elite in their social scene, then it would seem likely that they'd use last.fm to prove a point. All this together points at Racebannon simply being shite - otherwise, wouldn't there be at least *some* indication of their peers rating them highly?

But hey, since when has logic had anything to do with insulting people?

so' date=' what about your beloved X-Certs, by your reasoning then they are indeed "absolutely dreadful"????

didnt think so[/quote']

Give it time - if they do a couple of UK tours, get a CD released on amazon and through play and if still no-one is listening to them on last.fm, then yeah, the population would've voted with their ears and voted them shite. Can't argue there - but they're not really on the same playing field at the moment, are they?

I think there's more truth in what I'm saying than what people want to admit, somehow.

On the Art vs Commerce debate - I believe in a clear seperation of the two - if something musical wishes to be considered an art form, then I'm not convinced that it should be commercially available, and commercial things should stay away from trying to be considered as art. But that's probably a minority view.

Funny how people get all defensive though.

i have never even heard of lastfm before this topic, so your point is void. This band have been around for 10+ years and have built up a good solid fan base by taking the DIY route. House hold name isn't everything mate.

Have you ever heard of a band called the Boys Next Door? Probably not, they were a band that the mighty Nick Cave was in. Nick Cave, now their is a household name right? Does that mean that his old band are shit because no one has heard of them or most people haven't bothered to check them out, no it doesn't.

Finding out about "new" music is something that people who love music do. It had always been the way, and always will be, be it through itunes, downloading from limewire, soulseek etc, recommendations from friends, looking up record label websites which release music by bands you already like.

Are you gonna tell me that, even though you don't like "shouty" music, that you don't like Fugazi and are you gonna tell me that they are shit because not that many people are familiar with them when you compare their sales figures against that of trivium etc? Fugazi got to where they are by good DIY ethics and being a great band.

So please, fuck off and stop bothering me. You are being an absolute ass hat.

i have never even heard of lastfm before this topic, so your point is void. This band have been around for 10+ years and have built up a good solid fan base by taking the DIY route. House hold name isn't everything mate.

Course it's not, but when a fairly reliable indicator in last.fm shows that the band is practically unheard of, combined with the fact that their cd's are commercially available and that people don't bother turning up to their gigs...well, I've said it already. You don't agree, that's fine.

Have you ever heard of a band called the Boys Next Door? Probably not, they were a band that the mighty Nick Cave was in. Nick Cave, now their is a household name right? Does that mean that his old band are shit because no one has heard of them or most people haven't bothered to check them out, no it doesn't.

I've heard of them but never listened - I'm familiar with Nick Cave and what's he done, but apart from Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow (which is absolute brilliance), I've never really rated or got into anything that he's done. But...a lot depends on the availability of a band - if the CD's are commercially available, if the band is touring constantly, then yeah, I'd expect to see them showing up on last.fm or otherwise, especially if they've been around for 10+ years.

Incidentally, how does the DIY route coincide with CD availability on play and amazon? Maybe I'm mis-understanding the usage of the word "DIY" there though, just like a lot of people seem to do.

Finding out about "new" music is something that people who love music do. It had always been the way, and always will be, be it through itunes, downloading from limewire, soulseek etc, recommendations from friends, looking up record label websites which release music by bands you already like.
Are you gonna tell me that, even though you don't like "shouty" music, that you don't like Fugazi and are you gonna tell me that they are shit because not that many people are familiar with them when you compare their sales figures against that of trivium etc? Fugazi got to where they are by good DIY ethics and being a great band.

I think Fugazi are absolutely rubbish personally, but that's a personal opinion. I can rate their influence on so, so, so much of modern music though - so I mean, simply looking at the amount of 90's and even 2000's bands that mention them as an influence says a lot about their popularity. You don't even need to bother checking last.fm, anyone that's fairly well read about music will know of their influence. Course, my opinion is that they got to where they are today by being namedropped by a lot of important bands to the music industry, not through their DIY ethics or being great - but that's my opinion.

So please, fuck off and stop bothering me. You are being an absolute ass hat.

Yet again, abusive language. Seriously, you made a few great points and then ruined it by being abusive..shame. The internet really does get to people, I guess.

what makes you think racebannon care about their sales?

I imagine they are in a band because they love what they do, as most people who play music are. They don't really sell CD's as well, they are mostly a vinyl band. and I bet you that all of the vinyl they have ever pressed is now sold out and no longer available. Now thats saying something for a band who aren't commercially that well known.

You don't like the music, thats fine, so why bother stressing your point so much?

No one really cares do they.

Which means, if no one really cares, then you must be wrong. Who knows....

:popcorn:

what makes you think racebannon care about their sales?

They'd be an exceptionally rare breed of musicians if they didn't care in some way. Surely every musician that produces material cares about their sales in some way, be it listens on myspace or whatever. And if they've taken a DIY route, why bother being available on very commercial websites if they don't care about sales? I know that if I was doing it myself and I didn't care about sales, I wouldn't bother going to the hassle of supplying Amazon/etc with stock. But, am I taking DIY too literally?

I imagine they are in a band because they love what they do, as most people who play music are. They don't really sell CD's as well, they are mostly a vinyl band. and I bet you that all of the vinyl they have ever pressed is now sold out and no longer available. Now thats saying something for a band who aren't commercially that well known.

Doesn't that depend on how much vinyl they've pressed? I thought pressing a limited run of vinyl was quite a common way of increasing your name value - as it finds its way into those record value books and so on.

You don't like the music, thats fine, so why bother stressing your point so much?

No one really cares do they.

Which means, if no one really cares, then you must be wrong. Who knows....

:popcorn:

:laughing: To be fair, if no-one replied, I'd hardly reply to myself to make the point.

But I'm after a good argument really, nothing else :)

pressings of records generally tend to be 1000.

and for a band with 10+ years of a recording career, thats a lot of vinyl. Be it through LP's, 12 Inch splits and 7 inch splits.

Sure, I'm pretty sure that every musician does care about their sales figures, but when you can sell 1000 records, who is gonna care?

No one.

And for some reason, I can't see racebannon finding their way into record collector in the next wee while.

You don't even listen to this kind of music, so why are you bothering to 'look for a good arguement?'

Are you that bored?

Crank your weasel or something. Its healthier. :up:

Guest Savant
You don't even need to bother checking last.fm,

Last FM is NOT the be all and end all of music popularity!!!!! And popularity is not related to musical ability. And musical ability is not related (to an extent) to whether someone (or a group of people) think a band is good.

And your comment about computer geekery and musical obscurity going hand in hand? That's an insult, you fuckwit.

Also, it's infatuation, not infactuation. Thought you said you were intelligent?

And record players aren't connected to the internet, fact.

No, but it's ridiculously easy to hook a turntable up to a PC and rip vinyl to mp3, thus making it available to be tagged on last.FM if you use it. I thought you would've been familiar with that practice what with you working with computers and liking bands that have tons of vinyl available?

No, but it's ridiculously easy to hook a turntable up to a PC and rip vinyl to mp3, thus making it available to be tagged on last.FM if you use it. I thought you would've been familiar with that practice what with you working with computers and liking bands that have tons of vinyl available?
Nah. I have a record player, and just listen to it like that.