aberdeen-music

Racebannon???

unbroken

Right im lacking a pre amp but you say they're cheap and decent so i'll take your word for it and get one.

I have the basic software on my computer just now a la windows media player 9 / winamp / itunes reckon any of them would work ?

I know a lot less about software than i do about hardware but i think all you really need to do is select or un-mute the line-in option in your soundcard configuration menu and then you should be able to hear it through your speakers. I guess that some media players will have an option to play through with a line-input so you can mixdown a little if you're recording onto your hard drive. I can't see anything like that on WM9 but i don't use WinAmp or anything else so i can't really comment on that. You could play through on recording software like Audacity though.

Remember that most turntables have a phono output lead so if you have a 3.5mm stereo socket as the ine-in on your soundcard you'll need to buy a converter to change it from phono to a 3.5mm stereo jack.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot less about software than i do about hardware but i think all you really need to do is select or un-mute the line-in option in your soundcard configuration menu and then you should be able to hear it through your speakers. I guess that some media players will have an option to play through with a line-input so you can mixdown a little if you're recording onto your hard drive. I can't see anything like that on WM9 but i don't use WinAmp or anything else so i can't really comment on that. You could play through on recording software like Audacity though.

Remember that most turntables have a phono output lead so if you have a 3.5mm stereo socket as the ine-in on your soundcard you'll need to buy a converter to change it from phono to a 3.5mm stereo jack.

Cheers for your help it's appreciated :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I can't be bothered with the ritualistic element that playing vinyl requires these days.

This sentence stuck in my mind for some reason, so I decided to carry out some scientific research into this phenomenon:

1. Switch stereo on.

2. Reach into collection for salient piece of vinyl.

3. Remove vinyl, in its inner sleeve, from outer sleeve.

4. Remove vinyl from inner sleeve.

5. Lift turntable lid.

6. Place vinyl onto turntable.

7. Lift stylus and carefully place onto outer edge of vinyl.

8. Feel slight sense of disillusionment as listening pleasure is impaired by regretting the time wasted on this unnecessarily convoluted process.

Total time spent on ritual : a staggering 16.8 seconds. I don't know where I find the time...

This sentence stuck in my mind for some reason, so I decided to carry out some scientific research into this phenomenon:

1. Switch stereo on.

2. Reach into collection for salient piece of vinyl.

3. Remove vinyl, in its inner sleeve, from outer sleeve.

4. Remove vinyl from inner sleeve.

5. Lift turntable lid.

6. Place vinyl onto turntable.

7. Lift stylus and carefully place onto outer edge of vinyl.

8. Feel slight sense of disillusionment as listening pleasure is impaired by regretting the time wasted on this unnecessarily convoluted process.

Total time spent on ritual : a staggering 16.8 seconds. I don't know where I find the time...

You forgot side switching at some point. :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
You forgot side switching at some point. :up:

Well spotted, this is of course purely optional due to potential time constraints and allowances must be made for unexpected curtailment/postponement of experiment. Assuming that it proceeds as planned, add on 2.7 seconds to flip the vinyl upon completion of side 1, while silently cursing the staggering inconvenience.

hmm...the mp3s i got were shite quality (probs vinyl to mp3 by the sounds of it).

it's all right...i only really listen to stuff this heavy/chaotic when i'm really in the mood for it, so at the right time it would probably hit the spot...but since i've spent all morning listening to american football i'm nay really in the right frame o' mind for this. all in all, not too shabby :up:

oh, an that's one more last.fm listen they'll get :p