aberdeen-music

Racebannon???

unbroken

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but it's ridiculously easy to hook a turntable up to a PC and rip vinyl to mp3, thus making it available to be tagged on last.FM if you use it. I thought you would've been familiar with that practice what with you working with computers and liking bands that have tons of vinyl available?

aye but last.fm is music wanking software, i think its a pretty neat thing with the reccomendations and the stats etc

i would never go to the bother of hooking up my record player to a computer just so i could show people how much good music i listen to :D

No, but it's ridiculously easy to hook a turntable up to a PC and rip vinyl to mp3, thus making it available to be tagged on last.FM if you use it. I thought you would've been familiar with that practice what with you working with computers and liking bands that have tons of vinyl available?

why would someone do that?

It would probably just sound shit then by removing all the warmth from the low end.

x

Ive got a few LPs/7"s that I downloaded, and yes, vinyl-mp3 rips sound shite.

as for bands which are probably unheard of on last.fm but are fucking ace, check out Token Tantrum. Swedish (I think) sludgey-crust. I'd provide a link, but there can't find anything. Their split LP with Affray is fucking ace though, as is their own record, Cancer of Life.

why would someone do that?

It would probably just sound shit then by removing all the warmth from the low end.

x

Convenience. Why would anyone compress music so they could put it onto their hard-drive? I bet you have nothing on your computer at all do you.

I know it sounds shite, I don't do it personally. I was just pointing out that it's do-able.

And I'm more than familiar with how vinyl over CD/mp3 sounds, i sell the equipment that facilitates you using it.

Convenience. Why would anyone compress music so they could put it onto their hard-drive? I bet you have nothing on your computer at all do you.

I know it sounds shite, I don't do it personally. I was just pointing out that it's do-able.

And I'm more than familiar with how vinyl over CD/mp3 sounds, i sell the equipment that facilitates you using it.

aye simmer doon eh?

just saying.

yup, as i said, i like the stats and teh recomdendations thing

i dont have my turntable hooked up to it though, which i where i listen to a large part of my music. :)

I dont really buy many cds these days, unless I am blown away by it

I just bought the Manatees album on CD, fucking cracking. Artwork is pretty sweet too.

I can't be bothered with the ritualistic element that playing vinyl requires these days. Add to that the fact that it only seems to be snobby musical wankers that actually buy vinyl now and that it's 'cool' to buy vinyl, it all makes me less enthusiastic about it.

I have some choice pieces of vinyl, but it'll stay that way. CD is much more user-friendly and a lot easier to store.

fair point, but a lot of the stuff that maxi and I listen to is only released on vinyl.

Min.

Aye, i wasn't implying that everyone who buys vinyl is a musical wanker. It just seems to be that musical wankers only buy vinyl.

I appreciate that if something is only released on vinyl that is the way it will be bought :)

yeah I quite like M anatees, much better live i reckon. Was going to stick them on during the last bossssssssssk tour, but the "200 plz on a monday night" LOLZ put that one to an end

meh as for vinyl and music snobbery...

i am a "music nazi" according to some twat who spends too much time in front of the mirror from YoOr F3aRz. im the first guy to admit that I think the music I listen to is ace (although last.fm might indicate otherwise) and that I think others should listen to it, im not reqally that much of a snob these days to say that they are idiots for not liking the same stuff though, too much of that these days

Right Alkaline you seem like a complete snobby prick regarding audio tech so is it possible to hook up my vinyl play to my computer just to listen to it through my speakers ?

Cheers :p

Depends on the connections (as in inputs, not outputs) on your soundcard. If there is a 3.5mm stereo socket or red and white phono pair connection then the answer is yes. You will need to know whether your current turntable has a pre-amp built into it or not. If it doesn't you'll need to buy one. Decent ones usually start at around 20ish (we sell one in Bruce Millers for 26) but you can pay a couple of hundred for them if you have a decent turntable too.

As to what program you'd listen to it through on your computer, i guess it depends what sort of software you have pre-loaded or how you access the signal from your external inputs on your soundcard.