aberdeen-music

Soccer summer signings

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

i tried not to bite but i have to. until you guys go and expand your squad and start buying REAL quality this will not happen. players like pennant & 'chief ned' bellamy are not the answer im affraid.

sssh don't ruin the fun of mindless optimism :p

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried not to bite but i have to. until you guys go and expand your squad and start buying REAL quality this will not happen. players like pennant & 'chief ned' bellamy are not the answer im affraid.

Pennant is a great wee underrated player. He played a blinder against AC in the Champions League final. Bellamy is a good versatile player too. Liverpool play too much of a European game to seriously challenge the big two, and Arsenal have too many young players and not enough experience these days. They're far too reluctant to spend money as well.

If Liverpool spend well this summer (Voronin is a quality catch actually) and add to what they've got they'll be a bit more serious on the contender front.

I don't think Man Utd will win the league next season. I'm afraid Chelsea will topple them again.

I don't rate Pennant. He's quick and occasionally tricky but I don't think there's any end product to his game and whenever I've seen him he's been very reluctant to track the full back when Liverpool are defending, which leaves Finnan (already pretty inept) exposed. Liverpool need a right back, a striker, and either a change of personnel or a change of system in the midfield if they're gonna be seriously good. Looks like Sissoko's away, so they'll have less guys they feel they have to pack into the midfield at least.

liverpool are only this far away from competing with man u and chelsea. a right winger, a left winger and some real quality strikers. i love crouchy but hes not good enough, neither is bellamy nor kuyt. noone will ever convince me pennant can be as good as robben, cole, giggs, ronaldo or even wright-phillips. four top class players is a very big ask in one summer though.

Pennant is a great wee underrated player. He played a blinder against AC in the Champions League final. Bellamy is a good versatile player too. Liverpool play too much of a European game to seriously challenge the big two, and Arsenal have too many young players and not enough experience these days. They're far too reluctant to spend money as well.

If Liverpool spend well this summer (Voronin is a quality catch actually) and add to what they've got they'll be a bit more serious on the contender front.

I don't think Man Utd will win the league next season. I'm afraid Chelsea will topple them again.

they really will need to spend well. they are lacking in depth at the back and have (imo) a major lack of true class up top. been that way for a while. pity considering the legacy of owen, rush, fowler etc. they do seem to have a history of cracking up top players.

as far as spending goes i think they have just made the most important signings of their summer. thats resigning carragher and gerrard. tbh they were never going anywhere but really cant see them doin much more than that. not gunna be surprised to see a few more non entities arrive. as always they will prob end up a crackin cup side

i will concede that i reckon chelsea might be a bit more stable at the back next year i think united should do it again. they will seriously miss drogba when he goes for african cup of nations duty. probably miss essien even more. couple that with the fact i believe they will lose mackele this summer they could really be lacking in other areas despite the signing of sidwell

First of all, Finnan is the most underrated player in the Liverpool squad. Rafa's admitted himself that before he came to Liverpool he didn't know anything about him and didn't rate him, but now he's an essential member of the back four. Anyone even attempting to say Liverpool's backline is weak is no less than a moron. Some cover, as Stephen said above, is all that's required.

Rafa's acknowledged the need for change in order to challenge for the Premiership, but he won't go out and splash the cash on big names. How many people had heard of Xabi Alonso before he signed for Liverpool? Yet he has to be considered one of the best signings in the Premiership in recent times (although he was a bit lackluster last season). Big names doesn't garauntee anything - especially when it comes to the Premiership. Veron anyone? Some players just can't adapt to it. Morientes didn't, Veron didn't, Reyes, Shevchenko... All players with undoubted class, but didn't really seem to manage to make any dent on the Premiership.

Pennant, at the start of the season, wasn't what I expected. However, he's now fitting in with the team, he's matured as a player over last season and he now knows what's expected of him. Just look at how he was playing towards the end of the season, and indeed the Champions League Final, and then judge him, because he's a much better player now compared to then.

Crouch not good enough?! I'm sick of these doubters. Ruud Gullit said it all for me. He scored two goals in a game and then after the match whatever the guys name is asked Gullit what he thought Crouch needed to do to be a better striker. Gullit's answer came "Nothing." He's spot on too. Crouch started about half or less than half of Liverpool's games this season and still came out of it with more goals than anyone else. He's a top quality striker, he's unique and defenders hate playing against him.

We definately need a new striker, and if we say Bellamy leaving Anfield then I wouldn't be too upset. He did well for a season, but he's not good enough.

I'm optimistic. Who can blame me? I'm a Liverpool fan, I've spent the majority of my life looking for to the next season. We may not challenge again next season for the Premiership or we may end up winning it, but no matter what, with Gerrard, Carragher and Rafa at Anfield it's only a matter of time till we win no. 19.

Pennant is alright, but his crossing is still a shocker. I think Bellamy is pretty good, don't know why Liverpool seem to keen to get rid of him.

Get Adam Hamill involved. What a player.

OK first off, I like Liverpool, or at least I'd rather they won the Premiership than any of the other realistic contenders, so don't think I've got some kind of prejudice like that nasty Platini man (come on, I want to hear some indignant Liverpool fans throwing tantrums over that...stating statistical facts is just not on...)

First of all, Finnan is the most underrated player in the Liverpool squad. Rafa's admitted himself that before he came to Liverpool he didn't know anything about him and didn't rate him, but now he's an essential member of the back four. Anyone even attempting to say Liverpool's backline is weak is no less than a moron. Some cover, as Stephen said above, is all that's required.

I don't think Finnan's underrated. I think he's poor positionally and lacks the pace and strength to compensate for it (he'd need a lot to compensate for it like), and I don't think he offers enough going forward to make up for being shaky defensively. That said, his distribution is passable and he works hard. But he's nothing compared to any really top class right backs like Neville or Zambrotta or even Eboue in my opinion. And if one player in a backline is weak, the whole defence is weak as a consequence, so I guess I'm a moron. At least I'm an objective moron.

Pennant, at the start of the season, wasn't what I expected. However, he's now fitting in with the team, he's matured as a player over last season and he now knows what's expected of him. Just look at how he was playing towards the end of the season, and indeed the Champions League Final, and then judge him, because he's a much better player now compared to then.

I honestly didn't see this mythical great performance from Pennant in the final. He played with more positivitty than anyone else on the park in the first half and he benefitted from Jankulovski buggering up a couple of times; but there was no real end product. If that's him having a great game then to me it just shows that he's not someone who's capable of winning games, which is what Liverpool need given the level they're aiming at.

They could always try the England tactic of getting someone to stand out on the wing and loft balls in Crouch's general direction for 90 minutes.

well i would post my views on pennant again but calum seems to have hit the nail on the head. yeah for sure he was more positive but tbh kenny miller is a positive player who will run at you all day. doesnt mean he is in the same quality bracket as nakamura!

Yep. If we're using this logic...Ricky Foster for Liverpool?

Kenny Miller is awful. You just can't be a striker and miss that many good chances. Sure he runs his feet off and gets into positions, but you need quality in the box to be a good striker.

If Boyd has Miller's work effort he'd be such a good striker. You could see in the Austria game last week that there were periods where Scotland weren't passing it well and putting quite a lot of speculative balls forward, which Miller would have got on to the end of and held the ball up, or at least would have harried the defenders enough to force mistakes. Boyd can't do the same, but is a much better goalscorer, which is why i reckon I would play them two as our first choice strikers, which McCleish probably would too, not that anyone was asking.

I'm glad of that. There's been rumours about both for ages. I was sceptical about the Ribery deal because of his own personal statement. I'm not sure how he'll fit into our midfield as we don't play with wide forward midfielders that often.

We've also re-signed Ze Roberto to add a bit more experience to the midfield and try and regain some of our composure. The loss of Ballack has really hit us hard over the past year and he was never replaced. It'll be interesting to see with the addition of Klose (who might not joing until 2008) and Toni if Makaay might be moved on and if Podolski will get groomed into Ballacks old support role. I'd prefer to see him and Klose partner each other upfront as they do for Germany.

It would be nice to see a solid defender come in too.

It would be nice to see a solid defender come in too.

See I think Bayern REALLY need to think about that. I've not heard about anything in the way of efforts to replace Hargreaves, who was pivotal defensively, and if I was a Bayern fan I'd be shitting meinen hosen every time Lucio takes the field. Not sure I think much of Van Buyten either.

See I think Bayern REALLY need to think about that. I've not heard about anything in the way of efforts to replace Hargreaves, who was pivotal defensively, and if I was a Bayern fan I'd be shitting meinen hosen every time Lucio takes the field. Not sure I think much of Van Buyten either.

Well, we have Lucio and Van Buyten and Ismael all of whom are competent defenders. Lucio is a bit of a Rio Ferdinand type defender, sometimes he looks like he can't be bothered but he scores a few goals and he, by large, is a solid defender. Van Buyten is tireless and a good header of the ball. Ismael was very sorely missed this season, he's a rutheless tackler and he watches and marshalls the backline well. We also have Mats Hummels coming through, he looks really good for the future in a Thomas Linke sort of way.

As for defensive midfield we have plenty of options (bare in mind that Hargreaves didn't play much of this season): Van Bommel, Demichelis, Ottl, Altintop and Sosa.Van Bommel is a great midfield playmaker from the back, Demichelis is a great player and Ottl looks like a solid midfielder too.

I can maybe see us sign another midfielder and a defender. At least we have a good keeper lined up to replace Kahn in Rensing. What we really need is a great young defender. I would like to see Anthony Van Den Borre come in from Anderlecht. I also wish we'd made a move for Barton his tenacity in midfield would've been more than welcome and i'm sure he'd've been a hit in the Bundesliga.

i see newcastle have signed mark viduka and joey barton - bet chelski and man poo are shitting their y fronts!

Viduka got 19 goals this season. Hardly shite. His goal to game ratio is very good across the board to be honest. Fine the guy might like the odd pie but he's a good goalscorer.

Barton is underrated too. He's a dick and has a short temper but he's a great tactical midfielder and leads on the pitch. He scores the odd goal too and is always tirelessly running round the pitch.

Both are good signings and certainly things that Newcastle have been missing.

Viduka got 19 goals this season. Hardly shite. His goal to game ratio is very good across the board to be honest. Fine the guy might like the odd pie but he's a good goalscorer.

Barton is underrated too. He's a dick and has a short temper but he's a great tactical midfielder and leads on the pitch. He scores the odd goal too and is always tirelessly running round the pitch.

Both are good signings and certainly things that Newcastle have been missing.

thing is they're both decent mid table players at best thats me point. i'm sure big sam will get the best out of them, barton is a great player i agree but can he control his discipline??? i just think newcastle need to sign better players if they are to challenge.

Well, we have Lucio and Van Buyten and Ismael all of whom are competent defenders. Lucio is a bit of a Rio Ferdinand type defender, sometimes he looks like he can't be bothered but he scores a few goals and he, by large, is a solid defender. Van Buyten is tireless and a good header of the ball. Ismael was very sorely missed this season, he's a rutheless tackler and he watches and marshalls the backline well. We also have Mats Hummels coming through, he looks really good for the future in a Thomas Linke sort of way.

As for defensive midfield we have plenty of options (bare in mind that Hargreaves didn't play much of this season): Van Bommel, Demichelis, Ottl, Altintop and Sosa.Van Bommel is a great midfield playmaker from the back, Demichelis is a great player and Ottl looks like a solid midfielder too.

I can maybe see us sign another midfielder and a defender. At least we have a good keeper lined up to replace Kahn in Rensing. What we really need is a great young defender. I would like to see Anthony Van Den Borre come in from Anderlecht. I also wish we'd made a move for Barton his tenacity in midfield would've been more than welcome and i'm sure he'd've been a hit in the Bundesliga.

OK I disagree about Lucio and Van Buyten but I'd totally forgotten about Ismael, and Demichelis, and I've only seen Ottl once. And personally I prefer Van Bommel if he has someone more defensive behind him. Otherwise, I can't compete with your knowledge of your own team, thank you for exposing my ignorance:P