aberdeen-music

POLL: drum machines

Flash@TMB

Originally posted by Pierre Von Mondragon:

Yeah, sounded wicked.

I could go on about this at such length, but i'll keep it to a few salient points.

1) Years ago (early 90's) when I was trying to get a rock n roll band together finding a drummer and rehearsal space was always a bind, hence why I did about 6 gigs in 3-4 years, the same amount i've done since February with A.K.A, all of which have been much better than anything I did way back when

2)Having spent the last 7 years making electronic music, particularly 5 with Optoplan ( not dead, just in cryo) made me just prefer a hard 909 or deep 808 kick, now in a perfect world we would have a shit -hot drummer with those Roland V-drums set to kill, but even then a good loop might gel it together better. If we did get a drummer they would have to be a technophile (proper meaning), that would help develop the sound

3) As a sloppyish guitar player I need even tighter drums!

4) It can be done well or badly, as with any creative endeavour, I dont believe in musical relativism. It has definitely contributed to us sounding different, as it allows us to practise at 'home', record and demo and tinker til stuff just sounds right

As Lee Perry said about drum machines, he wanted to hit his drummer over the head with it until he played as tight, in space or something Jungle Lion! etc

There aren't any rules any way, but I have liked the way that playing to a sequenced track has moulded our sound and vibe man, what you lose in flexibility can be made up for in intensity and relentlessness, As Strobing Goat might agree ( Zak I found those Suicide Squad Photo's, will try and digitise them etc).

Anyway enough from me

I fully take on board your first point. Your beats are really well programmed. I like the way you've altered the dynamics so that the level constantly changes, it had me fooled when I first listened to the CD - but then having seen you with a drummer I wasn't expecting programmed beats. That'll teach me to 'listen with my ears' and not my preconceptions LOL. I can see how it would help the band gel faster when the drums are consistent.

Your CD is fuckin incredible, people continually comment on it. I put a track on when Breed 77 and 209 were partying in the bar. People were going up and checking to see who it was, then scratching their heads. The drum machine has really helped a lot there. It's hard enough to crack a live sound with a drum kit let alone record one.

Anyhow - thanks to everyone that has contributed their thoughts to this thread. When I didn't like tuna I starved myself for 3 days, then went and bought a tuna sandwich. Now I like tuna. Sometimes it's good to get inside your own head and poke around to see if you are making sense or deluded by some preconcieved notion. Any extreme viewpoint is usually a good indicator that something is wrang and a little self examination is called for.

So are drum machines the new tuna? Probably yes, now I need to go and listen to some more.

Cheers!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

Anyhow - thanks to everyone that has contributed their thoughts to this thread. When I didn't like tuna I starved myself for 3 days, then went and bought a tuna sandwich. Now I like tuna. Sometimes it's good to get inside your own head and poke around to see if you are making sense or deluded by some preconcieved notion. Any extreme viewpoint is usually a good indicator that something is wrang and a little self examination is called for.

So are drum machines the new tuna? Probably yes, now I need to go and listen to some more.

Cheers!

Should be easier to overcome this one since you seem to have starved yourself for considerably more than 3 days.

p.s. I can eat tuna but I'd prefer not to, being a Pisces I consider it cannibalism.:)

Re: More confusingly still

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

More confusingly they are friends, and are often seen together. If you are blind like me then they even look kinda similar.

haha, not quite.

But yes... there are too Mark's who are kind of working together in certain elements at the moment... though Mr Thomas is down in Englandshire until... the 3rd I think.

Mr Nicol is the one who runs Exile... Mr Thomas is the one with specs.

Nicol = Dark hair, no specs and Exile

Thomas = Lighter hair, specs and Sawmill.

Yes yes...

• 2 years later...

I think at the end of the day as far as expression goes, both real drummers and drum machines have enless possibilities both of which can amazing results which cant be compared with each other.

On a personall level though i think its down to inspiration or the ability to inspire. Sure you can make a 600 bpm 7 minute drum solo on a machine which will defy anything anyone has ever heard but comparing that too a real drummer in full flow, running on pure adrenalin, you cant compare.

No machine ever can display the emotions or show the energy of a real drummer.

A drummer in a band can turn a bland gig into something amazing just by giving it more which in turn amplifies through the rest of the band.

I saw this band the other day,

http://www.myspace.com/thegoteam

they used machines and have 2 real drummers, they are the sort of band I would like to play in, but I would also like to be in a band like Atom Flask, AKA THE FOX or Stroszek so I could use electronic drums .

The Cocteau Twins are a good example of good drum programming, but there's never a dry seat in the house when a tasty drummer like me pounds the skins as if it was the last pounding on earth