aberdeen-music

Indian Restaurants

Shabazz has always been a safe bet.

Jewel in the Crown has been good but usually not quite as good as Shabazz, not been there as many times though.

Think I got a take away from Blue Moon once and remember it being good (assuming this did actually happen).

Someone recommended Nazma to me as with Cinamon

Kurry is good as a buffet, buffet food usually isn't to the same standard as non-buffet food, as is the case with Kurry. Never was disapointed when I went.

• 2 years later...

Not usually one to dig up old threads but was at Bollywood the other week and can not recommend it enough...for 5.95 at lunch time you get a starter, main course with rice or naan and tea or coffee and is delicious! Service is much better than the overpriced Cinnamon...no idea how that place won so many awards but my experience there wasnt great.

Not usually one to dig up old threads but was at Bollywood the other week and can not recommend it enough...for 5.95 at lunch time you get a starter, main course with rice or naan and tea or coffee and is delicious! Service is much better than the overpriced Cinnamon...no idea how that place won so many awards but my experience there wasnt great.

Been to Cinnamon three times. The first two were absolutely exceptional; the service was great and the food was awesome, but it was quite poor the last time we went. It was a week night and not that busy at all, but it still took over an hour and a half for our food to arrive. I think they realised we were on the verge of leaving when we asked what was going on, and they shuffled out with our lukewarm food a couple of minutes later. It had clearly been sitting around for ages because it wasn't very hot at all. Oh, and one of the waitresses managed to spill half a plate of curry on my Dad's new white shirt. Good work, lass.

To be fair, it was absolutely brilliant the first couple of times we went, but the staff weren't particularly apologetic the last time and it's put us off going back. I always found the Light of Bengal to be very good (excellent service, in particular) and Blue Moon was good on the one occaision I've been. Kury (or whatever it's called now) is nothing special at all, but the buffet is a decent option if you just want a quick, cheap (with Snapfax) feed.

Cinnamon's service is awful in my experience. The first time I went it was great, but the second time we had to wait over an hour for our main course. We kept asking where it was but kept getting told soon. Then it eventually came and the waiter said the chef had to go home ill, hence the delay.

I was prepared to overlook that day, but then went back with some friends. We had a table pre booked for 7.30 on a Saturday night, and didn't get sat down till 8.20, without any mention or apology about the delay. The food was great and then the bill came. We complained about the unreasonable wait, only to be told that we were speaking rubbish and we DIDN'T have any wait at all. We got the manager out, and eventually got forced an apology and free drinks and starters.

I'm never going back there again.

• 2 weeks later...
Gurkha takeaway on George St is pretty good. Owner is ex army thus all kitchen staff are always in clean whites.Food pretty much cooked from scratch when ordered and all recipes tasting different. Ive never had a bad meal in more visits than i care to mention.

Except it's been closed for the past month :(

Anyone have any idea what's happened to it, we would be heartbroken if it has closed for good, or if it's possibly Ramadan connected (our hope amongst hope it hasnt closed is pinned on this, no more chicken Choila... :down: ?( ).

Shaabaz (sp?) - Been once and will never go back. The food was decent but the waiter poured half a bottle of wine over our table and they didn't knock it off the bill. I was then screamed at across the restaurant for having the cheek to ask for my jacket (when I'd been standing waiting for it for 15 minutes). The service was abysmal and you were treated terribly. Won't be going back again.

My dad refuses to go back there. A few years ago he went there with a couple of folk from his work and they asked for three pints of Kingfisher when they placed their order. He watched the barman pour the drinks, set them on the bar and then empty the contents of the drip tray into one of the glasses. Apparently it is legal to do as the drip trays are sterilised but I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm pouring it down the sink.

My dad refuses to go back there. A few years ago he went there with a couple of folk from his work and they asked for three pints of Kingfisher when they placed their order. He watched the barman pour the drinks, set them on the bar and then empty the contents of the drip tray into one of the glasses. Apparently it is legal to do as the drip trays are sterilised but I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm pouring it down the sink.

Oh dear, that is certainly making me think twice about going back there.

Gurkha takeaway on George St is pretty good. Owner is ex army thus all kitchen staff are always in clean whites.Food pretty much cooked from scratch when ordered and all recipes tasting different. Ive never had a bad meal in more visits than i care to mention.
Except it's been closed for the past month :(

Anyone have any idea what's happened to it, we would be heartbroken if it has closed for good, or if it's possibly Ramadan connected (our hope amongst hope it hasnt closed is pinned on this, no more chicken Choila... :down: ?( ).

Love a bit of Gurkha!

Jewel on the Crown is meant to be a delight, altho I have only ever got pomdadoms take away lol (needed for part of a curry cooked at home haha)

Might have to tr Bollywood at lunchtime sounds a good deal.

I love Bollywood, its such a good deal at lunchtime and the chicken chat is really really good. I must go back, and soon!! Its a shame tho cause it wasnt that busy and it really does deserve more custom. I went to Cinnamon for my graduation meal and got awful service and it was really expensive too. They weren't welcoming, they didnt awknowledge it was a graduation meal and also tried to force the set meals on us. Bollywood on the otherhand was cheap, the atmosphere/decor just as nice and the waiters were lovely :-)