aberdeen-music

Smoking Ban

Guest Ibid

Originally posted by Charlotte:

You know what I totally don't understand. People who only smoke on a night out. You're not hooked, you know it does horrendous things to you body - what's the point?

It's 'cause you usually get the fag for free and everyone knows that we Scottish people have a stereotype to uphold! You're offered something for free you take it ;)

When they banned smoking in New York, all the pub and club owners went mad, saying it would kill their business. For about 6 months there was a drop as it all sorted itself out. Now, the bars and clubs are doing better business than ever before. It should be enlightening watching what happens in Ireland.

i think its enivitable that a smoking ban will be enforced eventually, britain is adopting its usual wait and see policy. i'm doing my thesis at uni of the tobacco industry and in my questionnaire 76% of respondents said yes to a ban on smoking in public and 66% agreed that the government were right to ban tobacco advertising/promotion.

passive smoking is indeed a very serious issue but don't think a ban would work and you would always get people having the odd sneaky fag anyway.also i guess it's up to people themselves whether they smoke or not but i think maybe having smoking areas where people can just go to have a quick smoke in clubs and bars would maybe be a better idea and that wouldn't stop them hanging out with their friends at their favourite places and they might feel less discriminated against and to be fair to the non-smokers and barstaff they should not be forced to inhale that crap from someone else's cigarette over a protracted period of time.i mean it is possible for non-smokers to get cancer from passive smoking even though they've chosen not to smoke.sure it's up to individuals if they want to smoke that's cool-their choice just be considerate to other people who don't want lung cancer.

Passive smoking in staff and bands also raises the issue of suing an employer or venue for failing to protect their health under the health and safety act. This has been done in the US I believe.

Originally posted by Sky:

Another pertinent issue is the legalisation of cannabis: if the government is hell-bent on banning smoking, why would they (implicitly) encourage drug-use, the primary form of which, in the case of cannabis, is smoking? Something doesn't really add up in all this.

Maybe Ive missed something, but since when are the government encouraging drug use??? Okay so they've realised their priorities on cracking (hahapun) down on drug use dont lie with cannabis, but thats hardly an encouragement.

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

Um, what?

So you really have never met someone who won't go to the cinema because they can't smoke there, because I have friends like that.

No i realllllllllllllllllllllly have not met someone like that, 'crazy shit' huh?

really if you can't sit through a film without having a cigarette then you really should think about cutting down.

I'm planning on quitting smoking in the very near future, just formulating a plan of attack to ensure I give myself the best chance of being free of the damn things for good.

If you consider passive smoking to be a major problem you shouldn't be working in a bar. Bar's are traditionally where people go to drink and smoke with their friends, they are smokey enviroments. A person who does not like smoke shouldn't be working in a bar. Should we have to go outside to smoke because people who don't like smoke have chosen to work or come into the bar?

I smoke but I'm not much of a drinker and I do on occasion find loud,drunk people irritating, does that mean that we should stop people drinking in bars/restraunts/clubs incase I come into contact with them. Alcohol very often makes people violent and destructive, the majority of assault crimes are performed by people under the influence of alcohol. Think of recent violent assaults in Aberdeen, a huge percentage were carried out in town, outside bars by drunk people. So should we ban alcohol anywhere other than the home? That wouldn't happen because it's FAR more acceptable to drink. Your a filthy cancer-spreader if you smoke,but if you get drunk and 'fuck shit up' thats all just part of being young.

People who drink but do not smoke and think your not doing any damage to themselves are seriously dissilusioned.

Cigarettes are bad for you but so are fatty foods, car exhausts and according to the Daily Mail...underarm deodrants. If you want to avoid smokey enviroments, dont go into/work in them.

i think the way that smokers are victimised for their habit is grossly unfair. alcohol causes far more problems in society than tobacco ever will and is just as bad for you, if not worse. alright i understand the problems passive smoking causes and any resonsible smokes will comply and understand that there are certain places you shouldn't smoke (e.g. planes, buses, cinema etc) but the anti smiking lobbyists just take it to the extreme.

at the end of the day smoking is a legal activity so why shouldn't it be promoted through the usual channels?

Interesting to see how many people have extreme viewpoints on smoking in general.

How about smoking booths in venues like the ones you now see in airports? The smokers sit in a plexiglass bubble surrounded by extractor fans - it's a sight to see I tells ya. Of course, the problem of not being able to hear the music due to the industrial whir could be remedied by giving them all headphones jacked straight into the mixing desk....

Guest Neubeatz

Well I'm glad I stopped that smoking shit for a start,

And before anyone starts on about my avatar, this is the internet right? I mean you wont be able to get cancer from passively smoking an image on a screen!!! Plus the cat told me that the spliff is pure, no tobacco..:)

There is a major tax raising issue associated with smoking, how would the govt be able to sustain a presence in Iraq without all the fagheads?

So all the smokers quit and start to live longer? who pays for their state pensions????

The NHS would collapse as there would be less revenue to cover the health costs of an increasingly ageing population all in the process of a long protracted slow death by diseases normally associated with old age as opposed to a relatively early and quick death caused by smoking,

If it was a major burden to the country financially then the govt would ban smoking both in and out of public places immediately, but its like fucking cars, a major part of our economic cycle,

It certainly wont happen before the next election. I mean labour dont wont to lose the last of the minks votes now do they???..;)

Only in a capitalist democracy would the sale of an addictive killer substance for profit would be legal.

I go to quite a lot of gigs. At gigs I accept that sometimes I will have drink spilled on me by someone, get my feet stood on, get pushed out the way by someone and occassionally get dodgy ears for a day or so.

Smoking however causes lots of little problems - like getting little burns in your clothing. When a few people smoke in an audience and there is ventilation tis not too bad. Nae much ventilation and more than a handful of smokers can make your eyes hurt quite badly, your clothes stink. Long term the effects are not good for the staff, band or punters.

Why not have smoke free areas in venues ? It works in restuarants, the Music Hall, The Ltree have used this as well, pubs etc etc,

This is not about being PC / anti smoker - just a gig goers right to have relatively fresh air to breathe.

Dave

I still think a voluntary ban would be the best idea. If the ball started rolling there would be enough people who liked the idea of a non-smoking bar to make them work and eventually most bars would go this way.

I think it would need a kick-start though. There's plenty of tax-money off of ciggies to pay for it.

I see this as the most democratic way of deciding the issue. Non-smoking bars would continue to be opened until it reached a natural level. With the level of smokers decreasing anyway, more non-smoking bars would be opened as time progressed.

This is the way to let the people decide how much change and at what speed the change happens. In the meantime it would give people CHOICE, which neither the present system nor an outright ban provide.

someone said its unfair on staff to have to put up with smoking in pubs and clubs. Well DUH, you get a job in a pub, what do you expect?

Besides, the customer always comes first :D

Im for smoking in pubs and clubs, it wouldnt be the same without the smoke floating around to add to the atmosphere. poeple need to stop being so concerned over pro-longing life. Honestly,live a little. Have some more fun. Dont be stuck witha long life of nothingness and boring sobermindedness