Homophobia

Guest Neubeatz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does.

Homophobia is just as bad as racism.

I like the mods here, they do a good job.

However.... I bet if someone used the word "paki" or "nigger" etc on here the person would not touch the ground.

I have seen the odd person warned (once banned) for homophobic language but usually its just ignored/missed/ warned.

Im not a very PC person but homophobia and discrimination against the disabled should be treated with a heavy hand.

Undoubtedly there is, if I was a gay man or woman and looking on here for the first time, I'd probably strongly consider not signing up after reading some posts.

Every second post is about 'poofy looking Emo kids' or something along those lines. It's at the stage where derogotary terms for Homosexuals are just common parlance, and just a bit of funny, slightly cheeky, slang. I remember a thread about Sexuality on here not so long ago and some of the views expressed were absolutely ridiculous.

To be fair, it's not a problem specifically centred around this website, and it's much, much worse on others, but it's definitelly present on this website.

I feel that homophobia is as unacceptable as racism.

Yes, I'm guilty of using such utterances as 'What a whining slack-jawed faggot' and 'It's a bit gay' but this is always used as derision towards someone or something that irritates or uninspires me. And I will admit that I find really camp gay guys can annoy me but not to the point that I'm completely intolerant and go on a gay-bashing rampage.

I know a number of gay people (male and female) and, believe me, they can be quite effusive with the use homosexual synonyms in general. I do not imply that all gays are like this, just the ones I know. When one of them confronted a person he referred to as a 'mincing queer' he told the guy 'It's fags like you that give gays a bad name.' He admitted he stole that line from an episode of The Shield and was dying for an excuse to use it!

The topic of homosexuality and gay weddings was being discussed in the office a while ago. My boss, a born again christian, was quite vehement in his stance that it was morally wrong, inhuman and that they should all burn in hell for their actions. When I argued that a person's sexuality, in my opinion, is predetermined at a genetic level and therefore perfectly natural I was given the cold shoulder treatment by him for well over a week.

I don't care what a person's sexual orientation is as it doesn't bother me.

Guest bluesxman
If you have such little respect for homosexuals that you use slang terms for them as a form of abuse, then you should start to think about re-evaluating your value system.

Incredible. Just incredible.

thing is though, describing something is "gay" has a totally different meaning than as a an insult against homosexuals. in the same way that, to begin with, "gay" had a totally different meaning than a way to describe homosexuals.

words change, and the meanings of words change over time too. obviously there are some huge exceptions, but a lot of it can be taken care of by not making knee-jerk reactions and just looking at the context it's in.

The topic of homosexuality and gay weddings was being discussed in the office a while ago. My boss, a born again christian, was quite vehement in his stance that it was morally wrong, inhuman and that they should all burn in hell for their actions. When I argued that a person's sexuality, in my opinion, is predetermined at a genetic level and therefore perfectly natural I was given the cold shoulder treatment by him for well over a week.

It never ceases to amaze me the way these "born again" cunts - who preach "peace and love to all mankind" - turn on anything that doesn't "conform" to their parochial set of values - including other branches of Christianity.

Surely tolerance and forgiveness are pre-requisites of any so-called Christian?

It never ceases to amaze me the way these "born again" cunts - who preach "peace and love to all mankind" - turn on anything that doesn't "conform" to their parochial set of values - including other branches of Christianity.

Surely tolerance and forgiveness are pre-requisites of any so-called Christian?

Yep. Shouldn't they turn the other cheek?

I'l do the Frankie Howerd before anyone else jumps in...

Titter ye not, Missus! Ooh! Behave!

When I argued that a person's sexuality, in my opinion, is predetermined at a genetic level and therefore perfectly natural I was given the cold shoulder treatment by him for well over a week.

It just shows that your Boss did not have a valid point and by giving you the cold shoulder treatment shows that he could not convey his point very well.

So basically, your boss is a homophobe. Just as bad as a racism and not very Christian.

The key points regarding possible homophobic language are intent and perception.

For example, it seems to be quite common amongst our youngsters these days to describe something as gay, but more often than not this has nothing to do with homosexuality at all, and quite obviously so. There is no intent to offend, and usually it is never perceived as offensive. However the same person might describe someone as a faggot. And while there is also no intention to offend, this word is far more likely to be perceived as offensive. Different words can have very different usage histories, and can invoke very different feelings. Faggot has much more of a threatening, redneck violence air about it, because in its history it has never really been used any other way. Basically, using offensive language does not become acceptable just because you don't really mean it.

But, there's no definitive list, no rules, and society and language is constantly evolving. As a general guide though, I'd say if there is either intent to offend, or if someone else could reasonably perceive something as offensive, then it's out of order.

As far as this site goes, I don't think I've ever seen any actual homophobia in its true sense, but there have been examples of offensive language, which hopefully have been properly dealt with.

Remember to keep using the 'report post' facility...

The word 'homophobic' is a strange one. It gives the impression of someone who's actually scared of gay people to the extent that if they were trapped in a room with someone of that orientation they'd break down in tears, claw at the door desperately in an escape attempt. Ironic that a lot of so happily self proclaimed homophobics are usually the kind of folks who whip out the ol' camera phone at the sight of two girls chewing each others bottom lips on the dance floor.

There's really no need for prejudice against gay people. Each to their own.

Of course, I don't quite get why they sometimes feel the need to proove they've never been near anything distinctly Y chromosome shaped by talking differently and mincing like no-one's business. Straight people do that too (aforementioned emo kids), and it's equally frustrating.

You don't catch Steven Fry waving his wrist around, but then again he doesn't define his whole life around being homosexual. I'd imagine however that if tomorrow being gay was completely accepted by 100% of the world, Graham Norton would find himself looking for a new shtick.

Guest bluesxman
But, there's no definitive list, no rules, and society and language is constantly evolving. As a general guide though, I'd say if there is either intent to offend, or if someone else could reasonably perceive something as offensive, then it's out of order.

Trouble being that not intending to be offensive won't wash with those who just have to find something to be offended by these days. Usually not even homosexuals themselves, just the hand wringers who think they know what is going to offend the homosexuals and just have to get involved.

I think really nowadays there is less a prejudice about someone's sexuality and more of how they behave e.g(if they act "camp" or such). Also Matthew brought up a good point of mentioning that the word "gay" meant happy before it was used for homosexuals. I really wouldn't say using the word gay for somethign bad is homophobic as people use it to describe something bad rather than saying "That's as terrible as a homosexual". The phrase 'bastard' is another example of this.

I'm sure if anyone on thsi board was gay they wouldn't be the subject of hate mail or prejudice.

Guest DustyDeviada
well, we all know the names.

Yep, remember that ace episode of Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge when he's interviewing two lesbian TV presenters?

"Do these slang names hurt: Lesbos, Les-be-friends, Dykes, Bulldykes, Dick Van Dykes, Spare-Rib-Ticklers, Cat-Flaps, Pussy Footers, Knicker Pickers, Men, Backpackers, Tent-peggers, Trout fishers, Melon Farmers, Kwikfit Fitters, Baggage Handlers, Left Luggage?"

if we are discussing tolerance and being careful not to offend people, surely this is also unnacceptable. Even if that person was being ureasonable.

I dunno, he gave a pretty reasonable explanation as to why they are cunts.

Obviously it's generalized, but if people want a nice polite debate, they should nip down the houses of parliament as opposed to using an internet forum to get jollies.

Guest bluesxman

Although my girlfriend knows a few gay guys, I don't know any consciously, not to say I don't know any who just haven't come out as it were, I think one lesbian is my sole gay contact in life. Actually, I know 2 lesbians but speak to one quite a lot and the other just as a passing hello. Actually, I suppose it's 3 lesbians if I count the one I speak to a lot's girlfriend who I've met once.

Having a degree of baldness myself I find the use of the term 'baldy' which is frequently deployed in the direction of Mr. Hog to be offensive and would appreciate if the moderators could take suitable action against those who choose to use the expression in a derogatory manner. Let's be consistent.:up:

Guest DustyDeviada
Having a degree of baldness myself I find the use of the term 'baldy' which is frequently deployed in the direction of Mr. Hog to be offensive and would appreciate if the moderators could take suitable action against those who choose to use the expression in a derogatory manner. Let's be consistent.:up:

On this point, and as one who makes frequent references to Mr Hog's shiny coupon, I feel I should point out that I'm on a one way ticket to Slapville myself so that makes it OK IMO. ;)

Jesus, this thread reeks of shite. I'm fed up of this sort of PC related crap. Honestly, all the holier-than-thou people are ridiculous. Everyone is predjudice towards something in some way, and belittling and stifling someones opinion/ideals just because you don't deem it acceptable or in alignment with your own is just as bad as being overtly racist or homophobic.

Forget judgement, embrace acceptance for goodness sake.