aberdeen-music

So who in Aberdeen isn't doing Rock Music

Y'know, I Like rock music. The instrument I attempt to play, many of my friends, my political allignment... I owe my discovery of these things to my discovery of (probably fairly bad) rock music in my 'teens.

BUT!

I'd really like to see some non-rock bands in Aberdeen. Is anyone doing Ladytron type electropop? Is anybody rapping? Does Aberdeen have a jazz scene.

I mean this to no slight to many of pretty awesome local rock bands I've seen, but I'd like a diffrent live experience. Anyone care to inject me with anti-ignorance medicine. If you're really nice, I may even let you give me it as a depository.

dr drakes does live jazz nights and puts on all manner of things which isn't rock. last thursday opaque played. they were a 2 piece improv duo who played an intense noise build up kinda thing. very good. clive ravensby are worth seeing too, they are an improv colective from stonehaven and can be noisy swines but are very good. there's lots of good electronic things happen in aberdeen, and there's a strong hip hop scene as well. kef do regular hip hop nights and it's not your usually your gangsta stuff. check out estaminet for hip hop nights and different dj nights too. the lemon tree do a monthly radio magnetic night which does hip hop mainly but also had andy votel from twisted nerve up recently playing lots of different stuff. the blue lamp does regular blues and jazz live nights.

for something different check out the stuff coming up for trip tych, in particular the mute records night at the lemon tree. 12 bands ranging from post-punk with wire to lots of electronic stuff. there's a tiger beat 6 night at subway as well featuring kid 606 which is worth checking out if you're interested in glitchy techno.

drakes also does a regular open mic on a tuesday night which is good fun, mainly acoustic stuff.

also this week is rootin aboot at the lemon tree which caters for folk and country music.

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

I'd really like to see some non-rock bands in Aberdeen. Is anyone doing Ladytron type electropop? Is anybody rapping? Does Aberdeen have a jazz scene.

I mean this to no slight to many of pretty awesome local rock bands I've seen, but I'd like a diffrent live experience. Anyone care to inject me with anti-ignorance medicine. If you're really nice, I may even let you give me it as a depository.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And I assume you mean suppository. I've no idea what a depository is, but a depositary is a 'safe place' for things.

cf J.F.K. , assassination of.

Re: Re: So who in Aberdeen isn't doing Rock Music

Originally posted by soundian:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And I assume you mean suppository. I've no idea what a depository is, but a depositary is a 'safe place' for things.

I hate you because you're right, but then I look into your eyes and love you for making ME right, and a little embarrased.

Thanks for the info folks. Tryptich is looking VERY intresting, indeed. Have to see what cash-flow is like at the time.

Re: Re: Re: So who in Aberdeen isn't doing Rock Music

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

I hate you because you're right, but then I look into your eyes and love you for making ME right, and a little embarrased.

Thanks for the info folks. Tryptich is looking VERY intresting, indeed. Have to see what cash-flow is like at the time.

Yes, Triptych is looking interesting, although doing sound for future pilot AKA again doesn't fill me with joy.

Triptych: Three panels joined together to form a single piece of art.

Re: Re: So who in Aberdeen isn't doing Rock Music

Originally posted by soundian:

*ahem*

*taps Ian on shoulder*

As a matter of fact, depository/depositary are generally interchangeable. However the officially accepted usage is that depository refers to a place where something is stored, and depositary refers to a person responsible for storing things. So the depositary is responsible for what is in the depository. And the building in Dallas was called the Texas School Book Depository...

*wanders off, whistling tunelessly*

Re: Re: Re: So who in Aberdeen isn't doing Rock Music

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

*ahem*

*taps Ian on shoulder*

As a matter of fact, depository/depositary are generally interchangeable. However the officially accepted usage is that depository refers to a place where something is stored, and depositary refers to a person responsible for storing things. So the depositary is responsible for what is in the depository. And the building in Dallas was called the Texas School Book Depository...

*wanders off, whistling tunelessly*

Tell everone else in the world. I normally see it referred to as depositary, hence my confusion with depository.

Just to make things more confusing my dictionary says: Depository 2) Depositary. What's the bets the yanks have got confused.

when is rock not?

i often wonder that, not being a straight ahead rock fan. delicate awol were possibly going to support trans am next week, but it fell through. it would have been an amazing farewell to our current line up, but the lemon tree gig last month was a good enough treat for me. i guess you'd enjoy our music by the sound of your posting, but apart from hearing the lps at cavern you'll have to wait a while whilst we re group, hopefully with some help from local musicians including phil on sax etc.... mountain men anonymous played the other night at drakes and they were amazing. it was such a mixed bill, eric euan doing good 'rock' music, mma wierdness and slowloris were dreamy stereolab/cocteausish. so you missed out there. trans am should be good anyway...

this is my first post on this site, so ive probably done 400 things wrong. but anyway, whatever. i'm in it for the music (and the whisky).

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah, and more...

There's a strong acoustic contingent here in Aberdeen, although some of it may be crammed into the 'rock' pigeonhole I suppose.

John Cromar is excellent. Weirdy noise maker with a screaming electric guitar and an electric toothbrush. Canny beat that.