aberdeen-music

maybe I surf Aberdeen Music too much...

pete_inthehills

Aberdeen Uni certainly hasnt banned this website. Im there just now.

The original poster said his work had banned it, which is fair enough I suppose. I also know of a few secondary schools which banned it, again fair enough. I'm pretty sure all of Aberdeen College, RGU and AU allow it though, as computers there are for personal use as much as educational use in the main part. although looking around I see a few posters asking to refrain from using the computers for personal use when all computer rooms are particularly busy, however a cross sample of computers within my viewing range show one person on Web MSN, 3 on Bebo, 1 On Myspace, and 4 on Ebay and another looking up a hockey site, so seems most people are using them purely for personal use!

A few people seem to have clocked that im staring at their screens though. :finger:

Guest DustyDeviada
My boss lets me go on any website I want! Not bad considering he is a bald bastard!

Not only that but I heard he was trying to sexually harass you and make you carry out carnal acts on him. ;)

my job doesn't allow access to my webmail (or any webmail for that matter) but fortunately i'm, able to get to AB-mus, AN, giants.com and a couple of american foortall forums, so i'm all good to go! it's a pain in the ass not being able to access webmail tho, since we've not got the net in the flat at the mo, but there are a few internet cafes nearby which i pop into every couple of weeks.

/x

Guest DustyDeviada
At school I had a signed note saying that I was allowed to access Ab-Mus as much as I liked for research purposes. :D

I was constructing a faux music mag special on aberdeen based bands and I found the site quite useful.

:)

I did completely abuse my access though.

Nobody had heard of the internet when I left school (apart from Al Gore and some other geeks).

The JANET (Joint Academic Network, which Aberdeen Uni, RGU and Aberdeen College get their internet access from) acceptable use policy doesn't say anything about using the network for personal reasons.

The only things that are forbidden as part of the JANET agreement are:

JANET may not be used for any of the following:

a) the creation or transmission (other than for properly supervised and lawful research purposes) of any offensive, obscene or indecent images, data or other material, or any data capable of being resolved into obscence or indecent images or material;

b) the creation or transmission of material which is designed to or likely to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;

c) the creation or transmission of defamatory material;

d) the transmission of material such that this infringes the copyright of another person;

e) the transmission of unsolicited commercial or advertising material either to other User Organisations, or to organisations connected to other networks, save where that material is embedded within, or is otherwise part of, a service to which the member of the User Organisation has chosen to subscribe;

f) deliberate unauthorised access to facilities or services accessible via JANET;

g)deliberate activities with any of the following characteristics: Wasting staff effort or networked resources, including time on end systems accessible via JANET and the effort of staff involved in the support of those system; Corrupting or destroying other users' data; Violating the privacy of other users; Disrupting the work of the other users; Using JANET in away that denies service to other users (for example, deliberate or reckless overloading of access links or of switching equipment); Continuing to use an item of networking software or hardware after UKERNA has requested that use cease because it is causing disruption to the correct functioning of JANET; Other misuse of JANET or networked resources, such as the introduction of "viruses"

Which is fairly broad and mostly covers the "anything dodgy or illegal" categories. As there's nothing dodgy or illegal on this site (anything that is should be reported to us so we can remove it) then it should be available to all 3 institutions.

I would be somewhat annoyed if I didn't have a computer in my room and had to use uni ones because they have got sites blocked. Instead I can go everywhere, ab-music, hotmail, bestiality forum... the only problem is no Limewire. They're watching our ports...

Most of my jobs doing temp work have let me on Ab-music too, usually I remembered to sign off for good on my last day but I'm sure I didn't on some, so there must be a few computers with me still logged on. In my last job I would have either been very unhappy or got some reading done if I hadn't had Internet access, I spent most of my time writing long Myspace blogs.

woo-hoo

they've unblocked it!

seems they accidently clicked on the ultimate protection option and now they've put it back the way it was and I can get aberdeen music again.

These three days have been a trial. I had to work for the entire time. 7.5 hours of work. Every day! Nightmare.

but now I'm back.

did ya miss me?

pete

inthehills

I freely admit to abusing the Internet at work... Mostly on another site these days but I make it back here occasionally... Lots of sites are banned tho (bebo, myspaz, internet mail, ebay etc) :(

I don't have a phoneline or computer at home and recently when I broke my mobile I only had the PM function on the forums to keep in touch so I got into the habit and now I can't help myself! Plus I was assigned an assistant so I had an extra 30 hours a week to play with and the same amount of work to share between us. :) Schweet days!