aberdeen-music

mix/master/do cool thingys.

Hog

Yes mods, I know this should be in the another part of this site but I will explain.

Im after somebody to properly mix an Element song (the one on the feedback forum) and also just generally make it sound better. I was also wondering if there is anyone who would be interested in helping, letting me watch how it is done.

Cheers

Hog:up:

Yes mods, I know this should be in the another part of this site but I will explain.

Im after somebody to properly mix an Element song (the one on the feedback forum) and also just generally make it sound better. I was also wondering if there is anyone who would be interested in helping, letting me watch how it is done.

Cheers

Be happy to, but you'd have to travel 60 odd miles!!!!

prepare all your seperate tracks so they are linear (ie, so they can just be imported into any sequencer without having to line up all the edits etc). zip/rar up all the wav tracks, upload it to yousendit...post the link here...and also here http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151 , < I imagine this one could help you a lot more, but they'd probably be very critical of the recording ;)

Cheers

Mark from exile studios fairly knows his stuff, and i'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you tips and hints on the mixing and mastering sides.

To be honest, there shouldn't need to be a great deal to be done to get it to sound half decent if it was well recorded with good gear. Getting to sound extremely good often requires a good engineer but half decent does not.

I recorded a 3 piece band, the drum kit used 10 mic's (mostly very good but not 'studio quality' mics) through Behringer ADA8000 (unbeatable for the money but it doesn't compare with high end gear by anyone's definition). I have upgraded the AD conversion now to RME fireface 800, but that is for a differnet thread.

The only thing I used EQ on was the top of the snare to make it sound a bit more punchy and more like a rock snare. Mixing is a fine art but it is largely about your perceptions. Generally anything that sounded a bit crap, needed to be re-done. The bass player still needs to change his strings and re-do all his parts before the tracks can be released.

This band ultimately weren't the hardest band to mix. I think your band would be a bit more challenging as their are more instruments and there is overall a 'bigger' sound, to the best of my knowledge. So some instruments would conflict with each other in the mix and such like.

good source -> good mic placements -> good microphones and AD conversion = relatively straight forward mix.

If there was problems at or before recording stage, the end results will never sound as

good.

A suggestion: Sound on Sound magazine run a 'Studio SOS' column where bands write in telling them about their mixing problems. Each month, the engineer from sound on sound comes along to a band's studio, mixes the tracks and write up a story about it.

Also, don't automatically assume that someone is a good engineer just becuase they have had training or experience. Go by results only.

Check this pedal hog...http://www.digitech.com/products/Black13/main.htm you just plug it straight into your desk and get awesome metal tones...no fucking about with amps and mics and shit...get your drummer to bang out midi notes on a vdrum kit, run that through DFHS http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml and you have a shit hot sounding record with minimal effort! It's cheating but hey...everyone does it! :D

Im after somebody to properly mix an Element song.......and also just generally make it sound better

I'm gobsmacked that the Ape has yet to pounce on this one. Allow me:

Last night, I stuck my dictaphone on record directly beneath the toilet pan whilst having a putrid does of the shits, I reckon a loop over the top of that for four minutes interspersed with my Mark McManus impression of 'There's Been A Murrrrrrrrdurrrrrrrrrrr' would enhance the aesthetic (yes, my speling is sht) value of the record in a way that the average listener would disbelieve.

Where's my pills?

Check this pedal hog...http://www.digitech.com/products/Black13/main.htm you just plug it straight into your desk and get awesome metal tones...no fucking about with amps and mics and shit...get your drummer to bang out midi notes on a vdrum kit, run that through DFHS http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml and you have a shit hot sounding record with minimal effort! It's cheating but hey...everyone does it! :D

Regarding guitar tones man, we have a guitarist with a powerball, it would be silly not to use it. However, you are recommending a pedal by a bald guitarist called Scott, can't go wrong with that! (My real name is really Hog...ahem ahem) :up:

DFHS? Is that the Drum kit from hell programme? if it is, I have heard that it is ace. Although after 3 years in Element our drummer has today told me that he will get triggers after relentless hounding.:)

Heard Meshuggah Keilan? they basically sampled the drummers kit and use his sound on the Drum kit from hell, holy shit it sounds so real it is scary!

Scorge, you made me laugh so much my ribs are gonna snap ya cheeky scamp:up: