aberdeen-music

I HAD AN INKLING, SERFS & Supports @ The Tunnels Fri 24th Nov

Dizzy Storm

I HAD AN INKLING is a band, originally from Manchester, that has been playing together in various guises since 2003. The band’s first gig was in 2004 with Oneida and their debut single was released on Golden Lab Records in May 2005. The three current members of IHAI have settled on Leeds as their creative base and it’s from there that they currently write and record their whacked-out, aggressive math-rock/post-punk-prog melange and hook-laden, agit-pop. Often compared to the likes of The Magic Band, Red Crayola and The Minutemen, they are continually in pursuit of undanceable dance rhythms and enjoy playing the odd cheeky game of “Hide the 1”. An LP will be released on Golden Lab in 2007.

www.myspace.com/ihadaninkling

www.goldenlabrecords.co.uk

travelling, and playing, with them are SERFS...' burgeoning Manchester free noodlers who just get zeeper and zeeper every time they play...' .a psychedelic folk 2 piece who use guitars, bows, cymbols...im not sure quite what to expect! here's a sample of their infuences though to give you an idea.... charalambides and their solo parts, hallelujahs, magik markers, glenn branca, john fahey, matt valentine & erika elder, no-neck blues band, les rallizes denudes, sonny sharrock, sonic youth, chris corsano, flaherty corsano duo, derek bailey, jim o'rourke...

you can check them out more here www.myspace.com/serfserfserfs

local supports and price tbc

grr... i'm annoyed i had to miss this, they sounded really good in their recordings :down:

they sounded nothing like their recordings, instead they did a good half hour or so of free form jazz punk stuff. took a little while to get going but once it did it was excellent. the trombone was fun.

twas a good night let down by the turn out but i guess that was to be expected on such a piss poor night and with yon other gig across the road. we had fun though.

Guest bluesxman

I really enjoyed all the bands. Welfare Mothers are fantastic, great slide guitar work. Made me think of a band called Acetone that I used to listen to a lot but I bet if I dig out my Acetone CD's later they sound nowt like them...

Serfs meandered a bit in the middle but mostly it was really good, reminded me of 'Live In A Shark Cage'-era Papa M a bit.

I Had An Inkling sounded nothing like the song I listened to on My Space, but I could tell I would enjoy them hearing the soundcheck. Solid playing, again it meandered at times but when they locked into a groove it was very good.

It was a great night which deserved a better turn out, nice one Shaz.

karrta were great live. the band i enjoyed most the whole night, i think. of course, i wouldn't say anything bad about them - their drummer looks well nails.

i had an inkling were loads of fun, especially towards the end. i liked the guitarist's red guitar, shoes and strap combo and how they all reminded me of late 80's teen actors.

pity about the turn out, i knew loads of people who would have enjoyed it if they'd just bothered to go. i had a great night nonetheless. thanks sharon!

they sounded nothing like their recordings, instead they did a good half hour or so of free form jazz punk stuff. took a little while to get going but once it did it was excellent. the trombone was fun.

twas a good night let down by the turn out but i guess that was to be expected on such a piss poor night and with yon other gig across the road. we had fun though.

i agree about the difference recordings against live last night, they may have been infuenced by their early week playing with Damo Z. Their set was truly excellent ......finishing with a King Crimson soundalike!!!!

gratuitous plug

The drummer Moz is in a great three piece from Leeds called Quack Quack (runofthemill records). A friend in London put them on & their live shows are very upbeat, stick a note in your diaries for Tues 6th Feb 07 @ The Tunnels.

well done S

imp