aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Powered through Live and Let Die this week. They're not particularly well written but they're enjoyable stories, the Bond novels. Currently reading some books on people skills which were recommended in a podcast but are short and filled with really obvious statements.

Just finished Russ Roberts - How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life: An Unexpected Guide to Human Nature and Happiness which I really enjoyed. I'm a big fan of Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments and this was a great take on it. Now I'm onto George Lakoff - The All New Don't Think of an Elephant: Know Your Values and Frame the Debate. It's about how Conservatives in the US frame debates and arguments better than Progressives and how o turn the tide on that. only 7% into it but enjoyable so far. Can't remember where I heard about it from but I think it was a news article linked on Facebook.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoyed both Don't Think of an Elephant and Steven Kotler's The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance. The latter is a discussion about how huge leaps have been made in relatively short time in adventure and extreme sports and uses some great case studies like Danny Way, Shaun McConkey, Laird Hamilton, etc and uses the idea of a 'flow state' to explain their success and progress. Well worth a read just for the stories and anecdotes.

Currently reading Michael Lewis' Boomerang: The Meltdown Tour which is effectively a follow-up from The Big Short where he visits the countries worst affected by the financial crisis and discuses what they did and some of the historic reasons why, and then looks at the outcomes. Very well written as always and some terrifying stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2016 at 5:10 PM, Lemonade said:

Insomnia - Stephen King.

Took me 6 weeks to read this and it was not worth the effort. Gargantuan book, way too long, and it's a confusing mix of Greek mythology and Dark Tower mythology, which if you haven't read, then massive swathes of this book make no sense. It's a Dark  Tower companion piece. Avoid. 

Also recently finished 80s footballer Viv Anderson's terrible autobiography, and "Nerve" by Jeanne Ryan, also terrible. 

Now reading "Truth Like The Sun" by Jim Lynch. 

Edited by Lemonade

Finished Inverting the Pyramid and really glad I did. An excellent book and the level of research it must have taken is impressive. Now started onto Talking Tactics: You’ll Never Look at Football the Same Way Again by Mihail Vladimirov and Bob Pearce which is written as a sort of Q&A with Pearce asking the questions from the point of view of watching a game of football and developing an understanding of how tactics and formations operate. Just started it this morning but I really like the format and style so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2016 at 7:44 AM, Lemonade said:

Finished "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. Shit. Also Finished "Billy" by Pamela Stephenson, which was good and "The Irish Scissor Sisters" by Mick McCaffrey, which is a true crime book about a famous murder case that happened in Dublin a few years ago.

Now reading "Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates. I'm only just starting it but its beautifully written so far.

Forgot about this and went back to it this week. It was excellent. 5/5. Would read again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk , which I thought I'd read but I definitely haven't. Love the film so it's cool to enjoy a different version of the story. I've read most of Chuck's stuff but apparently missed this one. My wife bought me Fight Club 2 for our anniversary (it's a graphic novel written by Chuck) so I thought I'd brush up on the original first. It's hard not to read it in Ed Norton's voice. 

Edited by Lemonade

Read A River Runs Through It, by Norman MacLean. Had seen the film years ago and loved it and the book is excellent. Currently reading Team of Teams by General Stanley McChrystal which is about the changing structure of the joint special forces command in the US military to meet the demands of fighting Al Queda in Iraq who were a decentralised force rather than what they'd been built to take on.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen King - Mr Mercedes. Not one of his usual, this is a straightforward detective novel, and a damn good one so far. Retired detective is pulled back in when the last case he had left unsolved - a mass killing where a masked man intentionally drove a Mercedes into a crowd of people - suddenly goes warm again.