aberdeen-music

Broadband Unlimited

Guest Neubeatz

Guest Neubeatz
download allowance

Broadband Unlimited has no download allowance so you can do as much downloading, surfing and online gaming as you want (fair use policy applies).

Broadband use is measured in GB (gigabytes) and with our Broadband Starter package you get a monthly 2 GB allowance. That's plenty to do loads of surfing and downloading. In fact, 90% of our customers use less than 2 GB each month. If you go a little over your allowance you won't get cut off or charged more. Have a look at our usage calculator to see how much you might use.

Who writes this cr*p???:swearing:

I used to be on 1MB unlimited Pipex, until I wanted to change so they offered me 2MB broadband with a 30GB limit, which worked out cheaper. They were happy to tell me that I only used about 6GB a month at the most, so really, 2GB probably is enough for your avergae internet user, ie, checking emails, browsing, etc.

Guest Neubeatz
Yeah, but 2Gb/month IS more than most people use.

So what's the problem?

The ad says "Unlimited", check the dictionary for a definition,

That surely doesnt mean "Limited" does it???

pish ad, that tells porkies....:)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

by the look of it, it was taken from a larger blurb. Hence, the original mentioning of unlimited download speed is referring to the product whose description preceded the 'Broadband Starter' package

Guest onlynik

I had the same problem with Plus net. They advertised an un capped service, or a service with no caps, if you will. Problem was that once you downloaded over 15 gig of Usenet data you were trickle fed for the rest of the month (30 KB/s). Apprently this is a threshold, not a cap, although it wasn't mentioned in any of their literature. I migrated away.

Same with Tiscali.

I got "Unlimited 2 Meg Broadband" form them about 5 months ago.

Within 2 months of getting connected I got a letter from them saying that "further to our previous correpondence (which I, of course, never received) and warning about heavy useage we have limited your peak time downloading." It also had a rather sarcastic footnote about how "if people continue to download large files and file share everyone will be faced with slow downloads" and basically said although I have a 12 month contract they will be happy to migrate me.

Apart from the frankly false claims that they had contacted me previously it's a joke that they advertise it as "unlimited" when they clearly DO have limits. The funny thing is that I was uploading loads of photos from my honeymoon when I first got connected and that accounted for most of my useage. Okay, i downloaded a few series of Monkey Dust and the like, but I was beyond furious at the bullshit that they sent me.

I'm biting my tongue though and waiting for Sky to connect up here (should be January, hopefully) and migrating to them as soon as they are live.

I'm so looking forward to telling Tiscali where to shove their "Unlimited Broadband."

I hate this as well and why the advertising watchdogs don't clamp down on this kind of thing I simply don't know.

Web hosting companies have a similar con on as well and will offer "unlimited bandwidth" for web hosting packages when, in fact, they can't offer that because they only have so much bandwidth available to start with.

There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth". If you use enough, even on uncapped ADSL / web hosting packages, you will eventually run foul of their "acceptable use policy" and they will use that to cut you back or cut you off.

I hate this as well and why the advertising watchdogs don't clamp down on this kind of thing I simply don't know.

Web hosting companies have a similar con on as well and will offer "unlimited bandwidth" for web hosting packages when, in fact, they can't offer that because they only have so much bandwidth available to start with.

There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth". If you use enough, even on uncapped ADSL / web hosting packages, you will eventually run foul of their "acceptable use policy" and they will use that to cut you back or cut you off.

Crazy stuff indeed.

How about an email to Nicky Campbell and the Watchdog team. We could submit a complaint from users of Aberdeen - Music, each from a person using a differnt ISP, telling the story of how we bought "Unlimited Broadband" which quickly turned into "Limited Broadband!"

I'm on umlimited broadband, and get full unlimited broadband. Yeah ok it's with AOL but the fact i have a modem router, means i don't have their software clogging up my machine, can download as much as i want for as long as i want with no fair use or threshhold policies. How long this lasts seeing as Carphonewarehouse just bought AOL UK i dunno.

can download as much as i want for as long as i want with no fair use or threshhold policies.

Bollocks.

There really is no such thing as unlimited broadband. Honestly. The ISPs themselves do not have an unlimited amound of bandwidth so they simply cannot give unlimited bandwidth to their customers. The only way they are able to say they offer it is because the level is at a point much higher than most average users will use per month.

At some point though you will be able to hit a number which will trigger their fair use policy and get your connection restricted.

I'm with Tiscali and their free usage thing seems pretty fair to me.

Between 5 and 11 at night they don't want big downloads as it slows the web for everyone else. So if i have any large downloads i just leave it on overnight instead.

Works fine for me.

Be nice if they told you that upfront, though, wouldn't it???????????

Fair useage would be fine for me as well if I knew exactly what "fair useage" was. The fact it's so shrouded in mystery is the problem.

How about a "plain English" rule on fair useage, set by an internet watchdog where all ISPs must clearly state what constitutes "fair useage"??????????????

Crazy stuff indeed.

How about an email to Nicky Campbell and the Watchdog team. We could submit a complaint from users of Aberdeen - Music, each from a person using a differnt ISP, telling the story of how we bought "Unlimited Broadband" which quickly turned into "Limited Broadband!"

Dear Sir, Mr campbell(sp?)

we wuz wantin to write(incorrect use of the english language)

We are writing to enquire about getting a complaint aired on your show.(sounds too snobby)

blah blah

we are a collective bunch of losers on an internet site and we want you to fuck over some isp's because we have no common sense

Signed virtually and yours in the userspace

Aberdeen-music.com collective

go for it :up:

Be nice if they told you that upfront, though, wouldn't it???????????

Fair useage would be fine for me as well if I knew exactly what "fair useage" was. The fact it's so shrouded in mystery is the problem.

I agree yes.

Luckily for me though I did a bit of research on all the companies before i went with tiscali as a few of the 'unlimited' ones were liars.

Tiscali suits me fine as i don't use it too much during peak times anyway.

Guest Neubeatz

Yes, the ad that I saw was by "Orange", it clearly stated "Unlimited Broadband", and at a price of 19.99 per month, "just sign here sir" it was not until I had fine tooth combed the links and associated pages that I discovered the 2gb limit applied,

I find that its pretty shameful to state that 90% of their customers dont break that 2gb limit and then incur extra charges and penalties for any use before the start of the next callender month,.............

BT Anytime had a similar position on their dialup adds a couple of years back, and only after exceeding the 1gb limit did I find myself unable to connect to the web without getting charged a penny a minute...........

Dear Sir, Mr campbell(sp?)

we wuz wantin to write(incorrect use of the english language)

We are writing to enquire about getting a complaint aired on your show.(sounds too snobby)

blah blah

we are a collective bunch of losers on an internet site and we want you to fuck over some isp's because we have no common sense

Signed virtually and yours in the userspace

Aberdeen-music.com collective

go for it :up:

You're on your own, mate. :up: