aberdeen-music

Metallica - Some Kind of Monster

Shaki

I watched it for the first time last night. Absolutely hilarious! Those guys live in a totally different world! Its more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap if you know what I mean?! Id recommend this to anyone whether you like Metallica or not (probably better not to watch it actually if they are your idols actually!).

I'm getting that one on DVD :up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Taped it, looking forward to watching it. I did catch a couple of minutes when they appeared to be sitting around with a psychiatrist talking about the stress of the bass player leaving.

Metal!

Taped it, looking forward to watching it. I did catch a couple of minutes when they appeared to be sitting around with a psychiatrist talking about the stress of the bass player leaving.

Metal!

I hoped you liked that bit because that was the resident shrink who appears throughout the whole film!

Guest bluesxman

It's a big favourite of mine, hilarious. Lars Ulrich must be one of the most punchable people on the planet, even without the Napster incident. I have started listening to a lot of Metallica after seeing it though, which I never did before...o_O

It's a big favourite of mine, hilarious. Lars Ulrich must be one of the most punchable people on the planet, even without the Napster incident. I have started listening to a lot of Metallica after seeing it though, which I never did before...o_O

I had St. Anger on this morning! I'll probably listen to more of it now after seeing the film. I liked the Hamster's point that by removing the guitar solo work they were dating the album to that particular era, nobody listened to him at all though! When Het was complaining about the rest of them listening to the stuff when he wasnt around (in the noon to 4pm era metal indeed!) and how it made him feel that he didnt have a say, Hamster points out thats how Ive felt.for the last 15 years. Ha, hes the least punchable! Everyone in the film is like a fictional character. Mustaine and Ulrich Snr. Are they actually real people?!

Ulrich screaming fuck in Hetfields face! Oh, theres so many moments of beautiful ugliness!

Ulrich is so far detached from reality!

Like, um, I love art, um, look at how theres all this gold here, but hes just, um, left this big black space over here, its like fucking crazy man, God I love art! (then he sells it all for millions of dollars!)

lars is a total knob.

I don't care. He'll always be my first favourite drummer ( i say irst because then i realsied he isn't actually as good as many other drummers i like). A legend.

Hetfield will always be the papa het. THE man.

hamster reminds me of dave grohl - nice guy.

rob is just a big guy that does a crab walk and likes the rock. yeah.

Awesome!

You'd think 2.5 hours of watching one of the worlds most overrated acts pissing & moaning about everything would be boring - but I just couldn't tear myself away from it!

*** SPOILER ***

• Lars - what a complete and utter childish brat
  • Jaymz - decent guy, but a bit self-absorbed
  • Kirk - really nice guy, but completly emancipated and overpowered by the other two
  • Bob Rock - dodgy mullet, big kite - the archetypal producer
  • Robert Trujillo - a "good signing" and seems like a top bloke
  • Mustaine - what a fanny! 15 million album sales and he tells us "how awful it was for him".
  • Lars' Dad - computer generated, surely?
  • Phil the Analyst - charlatan! just seemed to stoke the fires. $40K a month? I'm in the wrong game.

Yep, it was as someone rightly put it, more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap...

...but riveting :up:

Best thing about that documentary was the fact it shows Metallica in their full light i.e. a fucking joke.

I don't understand that argument at all, it shows a highly successful band with a hell of a lot of issues, which isn't really that surprising. The fact that they had control over the rights to the documentary, but allowed it out unedited, is actually commendable. Lars has even admitted that he comes across as a dick, it's that sort of honesty that I think does them well in the long term, rather than trying to appear as though they're a perfect slick rock machine, ie U2...

Guest DustyDeviada

Watched some of this last night and enjoyed it.

Did remind me how ace the two "Year and a half in the life of Metallica" videos were. i used to have them, but I leant them to a girl and never saw them (or her) again. Is it available on DVD?

Guest Bob Double Jack

i loved this film, despite it showing what a self obsessed bunch of twats james and (especially) lars are. Kirk is completely stuck in the middle of their egos. I completely changed my opinion of hetfield after watching it.

bob rock should have asked to join cos thats obviously what he wanted to do!

oh. and st anger is hoop. who told lars to use a biscuit tin for a snare?

• 2 weeks later...
Any guy who hunts for sport is a cunt.

I might try find this for download though.

If you watch the film there's a part where James says he was freaked out by the Russian hunters NOT taking any meat from the bears they were hunting. So I guess that means that James usually takes home his kill.