aberdeen-music

Justin Timberlake...

-matthEw-

anyone else love Justin Timberlake. the man has a great nack of making the catchiest and best sounding pop songs around. Justified was a brilliant album and his new one, whilst it hasnt grabbed me as much as Justified did, shows signs that it could be a real grower. the song 'my love' on it is going to be THE song of the year.

and yes, im serious.

the man has a great nack of making the catchiest and best sounding pop songs around.

ERROR ERROR ERROR!

Timberlake is a singing and dancing performer. He has no involvement whatsoever in "making" catchy or "great sounding" songs. The real credit goes to the producers, who are always behind the scenes in acts like this, and usually are never recognised for their true talent.

ERROR ERROR ERROR!

Timberlake is a singing and dancing performer. He has no involvement whatsoever in "making" catchy or "great sounding" songs. The real credit goes to the producers, who are always behind the scenes in acts like this, and usually are never recognised for their true talent.

ok very true. im under no illusion that the fact he has the very best producers money can buy is the sole reason for his records sounding so lush and layered, and the real talent lies with them.

but for simplicity, i'll call it Timberlake's work, and it sounds damn good.

ok very true. im under no illusion that the fact he has the very best producers money can buy is the sole reason for his records sounding so lush and layered, and the real talent lies with them.

but for simplicity, i'll call it Timberlake's work, and it sounds damn good.

It's not his work though. He's just the front-end of a sophisticated production company and business enterprise. The monkey dancing to the organ grinders tune, to attract the punters, to use a crudely obvious metaphor.

ERROR ERROR ERROR!

Actually, you're wrong. Justin Timberlake has a rather big hand in his own production and also writes a good proportion of the music on his albums, both of which are very good i may add. He also writes his own lyrics.

He provides the starting point of the song and sees it through to the end production wise so he's perfectly entitled to take credit for them.

Thats not to say that the other producers aren't talented, but they don't write the songs and to be fair you can't produce something if there's nothing there to produce.

Oh, and don't take me to task on the JT front, i'm afraid i do actually know my shit as far as he's concerned ;)

It's not his work though. He's just the front-end of a sophisticated production company and business enterprise. The monkey dancing to the organ grinders tune, to attract the punters, to use a crudely obvious metaphor.

As Alkalines already said, he isnt as big a tool as you are implying, and certainly not as big as most of his contemporaries. Yes the producers take the song hes written and turn it into something special, but JT writes the lyric/melody, which are an equally strong part of the final product.

• Upvote 1

Actually, you're wrong. Justin Timberlake has a rather big hand in his own production and also writes a good proportion of the music on his albums, both of which are very good i may add. He also writes his own lyrics.

He provides the starting point of the song and sees it through to the end production wise so he's perfectly entitled to take credit for them.

Thats not to say that the other producers aren't talented, but they don't write the songs and to be fair you can't produce something if there's nothing there to produce.

Oh, and don't take me to task on the JT front, i'm afraid i do actually know my shit as far as he's concerned ;)

I don't think you understand the role of producer in the pop industry. They do infact write the actual music itself. Even if timberlake comes up with lyrics, it's still the producers who construct the actual tracks and record him singing and fit it into their tune. In that sense he is just another instrument.

I don't think you understand the role of producer in the pop industry. They do infact write the actual music itself. Even if timberlake comes up with lyrics, it's still the producers who construct the actual tracks and record him singing and fit it into their tune. In that sense he is just another instrument.

Not in this case i'm afraid kidder. It's not an unwritten rule for all pop, there are hundreds of exceptions and this happens to be one of them.

Not in this case i'm afraid kidder. It's not an unwritten rule for all pop, there are hundreds of exceptions and this happens to be one of them.

Ah I see, so justin timberlake actually writes all the basslines, drum patterns, and melodic hooks for his tunes, and "oversees" the technical creation and engineering of all these sounds? Christ, I never knew someone who came to fame by dancing on a kids tv show would have such wide-reaching and indepth technical knowledge.

Ah I see, so justin timberlake actually writes all the basslines, drum patterns, and melodic hooks for his tunes, and "oversees" the technical creation and engineering of all these sounds? Christ, I never knew someone who came to fame by dancing on a kids tv show would have such wide-reaching and indepth technical knowledge.

No, actually i didn't say that at all, i think if you look through my previous posts you'll see no mention of him playing all the instruments on his albums and writing all the musical parts.

He comes up with the main melodies (on guitar actually) to fit his voice and the producers come up with rhythm tracks, basslines etc

He then goes into the studio where the producers do their part of it, fleshing out the sound and getting session musicians to play the other instruments. Then the vocals (lyrics provided by JT) get laid down blah blah blah

What you'e failing to see is that if JT didn't write the melodies/lyrics your 'oh so revered' producers wouldn't have anything to work with at all. And yes JT does oversee production to the extent that he tells them what he wants out of the song and also if he likes it.

Producers are an integral part of the machinations of music recording, granted, however you can always get another producer/guitarist/bassist/drummer but if you lose the guy who actually writes the basis for the song's you've effectively lost your job ;)

Timberlake's first album has a couple of decent pop tunes on it, I bet Michael Jackson's still kicking himself for refusing first option on the songs on it.

I really cannot find any redeeming features about the new one. Cold, soulless and tedious are words that come to mind. I can actually believe he had some input into this one. "Don't upset the star, guys, we want to work in this town again, remember?".

I agree with Dave here, upon hearing it constantly at work I've decided that the new album is not even a scratch on his first one. I find it really boring and uninspiring.

No, actually i didn't say that at all, i think if you look through my previous posts you'll see no mention of him playing all the instruments on his albums and writing all the musical parts.

He comes up with the main melodies (on guitar actually) to fit his voice and the producers come up with rhythm tracks, basslines etc

He then goes into the studio where the producers do their part of it, fleshing out the sound and getting session musicians to play the other instruments. Then the vocals (lyrics provided by JT) get laid down blah blah blah

What you'e failing to see is that if JT didn't write the melodies/lyrics your 'oh so revered' producers wouldn't have anything to work with at all. And yes JT does oversee production to the extent that he tells them what he wants out of the song and also if he likes it.

hahahhahaaaaah! You love justin don't you. you want to kiss him.

Producers are an integral part of the machinations of music recording' date=' granted, however you can always get another producer/guitarist/bassist/drummer but if you lose the guy who actually writes the basis for the song's you've effectively lost your job ;)[/quote']

This is a dated paradigm which went out the window with the arrival of modern production techniques in the late 80's.

hahahhahaaaaah! You love justin don't you. you want to kiss him.

This is a dated paradigm which went out the window with the arrival of modern production techniques in the late 80's.

It's true, i do love him :D

Don't get me wrong i think the producers did a great job on JT's albums. Its just they don't play as important a part in laying the foundations of the songs, in this case, as you think they do. I'm not saying that producers don't write songs, but then they would be songwriters right, like the Neptunes (who incidentaly are responsible for a good proportion of todays classic pop tunes).

It's all good :)

didn't realise he played piano/keys until I saw him on E4 music live. Played above (better than this) and sexy backhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7qvYw-ZuI. I am very indefferent about the version you hear on the radio but played live, it sounded pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSuwJBH9-A&mode=related&search=

Yeah, he regularly gets written off as just a dancer who can sing, but he can actually play piano and guitar to performance standards. He's a great guy and tbh if i could be anyone else other than myself i would be him :)

It's not so crazy that Justin Timberlake can play some instruments.

The guy's been in the music industry for quite a long time. Probably has a lot of rich man free time too, so even if he hadn't picked up a guitar before joining his first boy band, he's had a lot of time and resources to get some mad skillz by now.

Yeah, he regularly gets written off as just a dancer who can sing, but he can actually play piano and guitar to performance standards. He's a great guy and tbh if i could be anyone else other than myself i would be him :)

You need help! :D

You should start a I'd go gay for Justin! club night!!!

Guest spikefae20dj

this guy is right justin timberlake does not right the songs, he probally doesn't even know what the meaning of the songs are (if they even have any) personally i hate the guy, he has no tallent it's just the marketing people get everyone to believe he's talented then do his looks up a bit and voila u have instant pop hit. I'm afraid he's just a puppet for all those greedy corporate gits:down: who don't actually care about anything except filling there pockets!!! THE END