aberdeen-music

Help!

Guest MKII

I now own two Gibsons, but I think my finances would prefer it if I sold one...

DSC02814.jpg

The 1981 Custom I won on ebay during the weekend and picked it up yesterday, it plays great(it's had a recent refret, job well done). I've wanted one for AGES, but it could do with a new set of pickups(costly!), its a bit erratic switching between them as they seem to be all over the place volume wise etc... Oh and it's heavy!

The 1995 Standard I've owned since new, plays great also, but this will need a refret, or some kind of fret work, at some point in the future, say within a year, but I am bored of it's looks despite the fact that it's served me well for 10+ years... this aint so heavy, rather comfy actually.

So, a custom which, with some new pickups/wiring, has the makings of a very versatile beast, or stick with what I know and just get a refret for the standard later?

Which one should I sell? Versatile or safe? ?(

Or, should I just do shit loads of overtime and keep both!? :laughing:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

I've never owned a three-pup LP before, but I've heard the middle pup can get in the way when picking, make sure that isn't a problem for you before you get rid of the standard.

Surely some relatively inexpensive electronics work could get the Custom working without buying new pups?

Personally I would wire it so one of the volumes or tones (whichever one you use least) controlled the middle pup, that way you could blend it in for "in between" strat type tones. The pup selector switch could then be wired as per a normal LP, giving you access to the three normal LP tones.

If there is a problem with the pups you could always replace them one at a time?

I've never owned a three-pup LP before, but I've heard the middle pup can get in the way when picking, make sure that isn't a problem for you before you get rid of the standard.

Surely some relatively inexpensive electronics work could get the Custom working without buying new pups?

Personally I would wire it so one of the volumes or tones (whichever one you use least) controlled the middle pup, that way you could blend it in for "in between" strat type tones. The pup selector switch could then be wired as per a normal LP, giving you access to the three normal LP tones.

If there is a problem with the pups you could always replace them one at a time?

Thats exactly how it's wired(badly) now, three volumes and one master tone, it's helluva versatile. The middle pickup is the main reason I bought it, customs with 3 pups do it for me. :)

Who ever had it before has lost original screws for the pickup surrounds and put in larger alternatives etc, so I think that is part of the 'minor' problems. They dont sit right at the moment, easily fixed.

Standard's gotta win.

Bit of a bastard seeing as you just bought the other one really.

The custom was a whim, saw it on ebay, seller lives in Huntly, and I had the cash in the bank! :up:

You're talking about these guitars as if they are cars....they're paid for, besides a few sets of strings every now and then, thats the only costs you have to worry about! :)

I'll be biased cos my guitars are all worth fuck-all and are so damaged (scratched, chipped, rusted, scratchy pots etc) that no one would pay decent money for them, so matter how hard times were, I'd never part with a guitar. I don't understand the owning two Les Paul's (unless they were identically set up!), so sell them both and buy one super guitar! :up:

I don't understand the owning two Les Paul's (unless they were identically set up!), so sell them both and buy one super guitar! :up:

Thats easy, I've never had the money available to buy a 3 pup custom, but I managed to scrape enough for a standard in 1995.

Selling them both would not get the me my ultimate geetar, which is basically a slinkier and more expensive version of the custom I've just bought. See below!

R-7-frt.jpg

Guest DustyDeviada
I see the difference. That one has an extra pup at the back...

Ha ha!

It took me a while, but I got there in the end! :up:

Seems to me that given the Custom's already been messed about with there's no reason why you couldn't save up for some new pups and get all the electronics sorted out.

For example, you could throw a humbucker sized P-90 into one of the positions for some extra versitality (is that a word?).

But yeah, I'm not so sure that the Custom would hold it's value better than the standard when it's been heavily modded, but things are getting a bit silly and pretty soon it will be considered "vintage" so who knows?

I have three and like them all. Keep them and save, save, save for the other one.

Don't get tempted by 'bargains' as this just puts your funds back to zero.

Thing is, even if I had the money, I refuse to pay 3000 or more for a 1957 les paul custom reissue... ferk that!!!

Why would she want you to sell one?

?(

Thing is, even if I had the money, I refuse to pay 3000 or more for a 1957 les paul custom reissue... ferk that!!!

?(

So I can't see what the problem is. The Custom you have looks nice. Black Customs must rate pretty high in the 'cool as ferk' guitar list.

As I say I have 3 LP's.

2002 lightburst

56 gold top RI

1980 CSB Custom.

I bought them because when I was growing up (chance would be a fine thing) my guitar heros played them, and I thought they were the beez'neez. I have never regreted buying them one bit, and get great joy out of owning and playing them.

Would I buy another one? I doubt it, it would need to be "cheap as chips" before I even considered it. Over the years I have come to realise there are as good as, if not better than, guitars out there for the money. As you say 3K for a RI is taking the pith.

For all you guys out looking for a bargain take a look at 'Robin' guitars and tell me they are not as nice/cool as gibbos.

Sorry if I have ranted a bit.

So I can't see what the problem is. The Custom you have looks nice. Black Customs must rate pretty high in the 'cool as ferk' guitar list.

No problem, the custom stays and will get 'customised' to suit my tonal needs. Unless I spot a near mint version by burny for half the money! :laughing:

The standard I'm kinda sad to say, will be heading ebay way.