aberdeen-music

Help!

Guest MKII

I'm thinking Orange Rockverb

I tried one out last week - nice. But what was REALLY ace was the Orange "Tiny Terror" a 7/15 Watt amp with a BIG sound. I tried one out and it sounded absolutely gorgeous. They've got one in R&B at the moment. Give it a try, I think you'll be impressed.

I also tried out a Peavey Classic 50/212 (with twin Greenbacks fitted) when I was in Glasgow earlier this week. Also very nice. Good looking "tweed" amp as well. I fancy the Tiny terror, but I'd need to buy a cab for it, so the Peavey is looking likely at the mo!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps - does that Lester not weigh a ton?

Yes, I think that is certain, the last custom was damn heavy as well.

Another cadillac! I'm still sold on the double hums though.

So is there still hope of a Tele of some variety?

I've wanted a good 3 pickup custom for ages, the last one wasn't it sadly, but this one should be A-OK. Plus I didn't have to spend £3000+ to get one, yaaaaay! 8-)

I wont need a telecaster. :p

Guest DustyDeviada

Congrats Phillip, that most definitely is "the real deal", great price and if you look after it, it will hold it's value much better than the butchered custom you had before.

A couple of points: I could be wrong here, but by my reckoning, the serial number makes it a 2001 model, so five years old rather than six (yes, I am a pedant). If it is a 2001 guitar then the bit about them not issuing certificates is bullshit, because my 54 is a 2001 and it has a cert. Not that not having the cert is a problem, but just thought I would point that out.

Fancy an LP jam sometime to compare Lesters (DZL, join in too?)

As for the Tele, as I've said before, I had a great tele but I sold it when I got my strat as I just thought they were too similar and I didn't play it anymore. That said, if you have two strats, it would make sense to sell one and get a tele instead.

If I was buying one, it would be one of these, "thin-skin" nitro finish, very similar to a 52 reissue, but with bigger (and therefore better IMO) frets, mmm.

T52T.JPG

http://www.davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

I tried one out last week - nice. But what was REALLY ace was the Orange "Tiny Terror" a 7/15 Watt amp with a BIG sound. I tried one out and it sounded absolutely gorgeous. They've got one in R&B at the moment. Give it a try, I think you'll be impressed.

I also tried out a Peavey Classic 50/212 (with twin Greenbacks fitted) when I was in Glasgow earlier this week. Also very nice. Good looking "tweed" amp as well. I fancy the Tiny terror, but I'd need to buy a cab for it, so the Peavey is looking likely at the mo!

That sounds just the ticket. Those Tiny Terrors are only about 300 on gak too... hmm. I'll definately have to nip down sometime and try it out.

I'm not sold on Peaveys. If cabs are the problem, I notice Orange are doing single speaker ones now. it'd be perfect for me anyway(I sleep in a living room and space isn't a commodity), and the head would be good and portable for plugging in and playing at venues.

Argh, the expense. I'm also wondering if valves are a good idea right now. My neighbours have been complaining about my bloody acoustic playing lately, and a toasty valve amp would not go down well.

That sounds just the ticket. Those Tiny Terrors are only about 300 on gak too... hmm. I'll definately have to nip down sometime and try it out.

I'm not sold on Peaveys. If cabs are the problem, I notice Orange are doing single speaker ones now. it'd be perfect for me anyway(I sleep in a living room and space isn't a commodity), and the head would be good and portable for plugging in and playing at venues.

Argh, the expense. I'm also wondering if valves are a good idea right now. My neighbours have been complaining about my bloody acoustic playing lately, and a toasty valve amp would not go down well.

Merchant City have the Tiny Terrors for 289 - bargain.

Pisser about your neighbours - fortunately I don't have that problem, but it must be restricting for you :down: It's difficult to concentrate on your playing when you're on edge about potential complaints.

Merchant City have the Tiny Terrors for 289 - bargain.

Pisser about your neighbours - fortunately I don't have that problem, but it must be restricting for you :down: It's difficult to concentrate on your playing when you're on edge about potential complaints.

That's a sweet price. veeeery tempting.

To be fair, ever since the new people upstairs started having Sunday night parties, I have recieved a lot less furious letters. Gettin!

ps - does that Lester not weigh a ton?

I just put the Burstbuckers back in mine and they were at least twice the weight of the EMGs.

DSC00560.JPG

You've got three of them!

Haha can you treat those ovely guitars with those shitty guitar stands. It may look cool on the wall, but its nae good for the neck.

Haha can you treat those ovely guitars with those shitty guitar stands. It may look cool on the wall, but its nae good for the neck.

I'd beg to differ Sam!

I think you could find an argument for or against any method of storage - e.g. the tripod type floor stands are not good for the Gibson finish.

You just can't win!

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd beg to differ Sam!

I think you could find an argument for or against any method of storage - e.g. the tripod type floor stands are not good for the Gibson finish.

You just can't win!

You can, just buy some of the cloth grip tap from a cycle shop and wrap it round the rubber bits on the stands. Hey presto, a nitro friendly stand.

You should probably do the same to that wall hanger, if its rubber it will eat your Gibson finish as well.

You can, just buy some of the cloth grip tap from a cycle shop and wrap it round the rubber bits on the stands. Hey presto, a nitro friendly stand.

You should probably do the same to that wall hanger, if its rubber it will eat your Gibson finish as well.

Done!

Ps - I set the brackets at the same height, but the weight of the Gibson pulled it down the wall :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I just wrapped a ripped up t-shirt around the bit that are in contact with the body. Cycle shop? Pishaw.

Guest DustyDeviada
I just wrapped a ripped up t-shirt around the bit that are in contact with the body. Cycle shop? Pishaw.

Yes, that's certainly an alternative method for paupers such as yourself. ;)

I would be thinking about the mod myself, but you will of course have experience of it from your last one and will be able to make a considered judgement.

Yeah, I like it the way it is, but I might experiment by flipping the middle pickup ala Keith Richards. 8-)

The modified set up is a bit OTT for me.

Doesn't it make it more versatile? At the moment you can't use the middle pup on it's own, is that right?

It does make it more versatile, but also overly complicated, plus I like having two tone controls.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, I sometimes set the volume low on the bridge pup and full on the neck with the tone rolled off, flip to the neck for the solo, back to the bridge for the verse.

Got the idea from a James Dean Bradfield interview, what he does on Motorcycle Emptyness apparently.