aberdeen-music

capitalist scum - shares

lepeep

Apparently the stock market is 'frothy' and the bond market is forming a 'head and shoulders' technical pattern. This indicates bonds could be 'rolling over' with yields to increase. The practical upshot of which is that a load of speculative cash could slosh out of the equity markets into the bond markets, which will cause stocks to head downwards.

If you listen to enough conflicting investment opinion, you will go crazy. Good luck :up:

Apparently the stock market is 'frothy' and the bond market is forming a 'head and shoulders' technical pattern.

Are you suggesting I should invest in shampoo? *ba dum tish*

Plinth: keeping a close eye on the falklands situation, 1st well drilled was plugged and abandoned, still more wells to drill though... :popcorn:

Wow, that's a blast from the past! As I speculated in 2006, I ended up buying shares with my profit share for the first couple of years I was with the group (there was no profit to share in year 3 so nothing was bought then). On top of that, I bought several hundred pounds of shares at the second ill-fated capitalisation issue (a truly awful decision in retrospect!) so over the 3 1/2 years I've been in this employment, I've accumulated shares which are now worth about 860 and have lost a total of over 2500 of the time I've owned them! That being said, the loss in value with shares isn't an actual material loss, because they were purchased as a long-term investment , largely with money I never had and although they'd need to treble in price from their current spot in order to recoup my whole original investment, I do expect them to continue their current rise and give me a healthier overall holding within a few years. I saw the election of shares as an investment, because if I'd taken the profit share as cash, I'd have been taxed on it big style and then pissed the whole lot up the wall. Anyone who invests in shares has to remember that the investment has a fair amount of risk involved.

On top of that, I've started various sharesave schemes, most of which I've canned along the way, but the current one I've stuck with for over a year. Essentially it's a 5-year share option scheme, with the option price set at a good spot, meaning that based on the amount I've invested so far and the rise in share price over the period. I'm over 400 in profit as it stands. Obviously there's a long way to go, but the hope is that the money saved over the time, added to the bonus they give you at the end, will allow me to buy enough shares at the option price to turn a fairly decent profit.

Just over a week ago, I met with our financial planning manager in the branch I'm currently based in and set up a regular savings into a stocks and shares ISA which I hope will form the basis of some longer term financial investing. I've got a Direct Trader account that Dave mentions and it's great fun, but I've not really taken the time to make any investments yet, so I'm not quite at the Warren Buffet stage yet!!

Wow, that's a blast from the past! As I speculated in 2006, I ended up buying shares with my profit share for the first couple of years I was with the group (there was no profit to share in year 3 so nothing was bought then). On top of that, I bought several hundred pounds of shares at the second ill-fated capitalisation issue (a truly awful decision in retrospect!) so over the 3 1/2 years I've been in this employment, I've accumulated shares which are now worth about 860 and have lost a total of over 2500 of the time I've owned them! That being said, the loss in value with shares isn't an actual material loss, because they were purchased as a long-term investment , largely with money I never had and although they'd need to treble in price from their current spot in order to recoup my whole original investment, I do expect them to continue their current rise and give me a healthier overall holding within a few years. I saw the election of shares as an investment, because if I'd taken the profit share as cash, I'd have been taxed on it big style and then pissed the whole lot up the wall. Anyone who invests in shares has to remember that the investment has a fair amount of risk involved.

On top of that, I've started various sharesave schemes, most of which I've canned along the way, but the current one I've stuck with for over a year. Essentially it's a 5-year share option scheme, with the option price set at a good spot, meaning that based on the amount I've invested so far and the rise in share price over the period. I'm over 400 in profit as it stands. Obviously there's a long way to go, but the hope is that the money saved over the time, added to the bonus they give you at the end, will allow me to buy enough shares at the option price to turn a fairly decent profit.

Just over a week ago, I met with our financial planning manager in the branch I'm currently based in and set up a regular savings into a stocks and shares ISA which I hope will form the basis of some longer term financial investing. I've got a Direct Trader account that Dave mentions and it's great fun, but I've not really taken the time to make any investments yet, so I'm not quite at the Warren Buffet stage yet!!

Spoonie. Cracks me up every time.

If you don't fancy doing all the homework and watching of individual stocks then you could do worse than an index tracking ISA. e.g: Index Tracking ISAs - The basics - Legal & General

Last year you could get a few bargain banking stocks. Maybe even some still around just now - it's been awhile since I looked. Backing the right tech and bio stocks is a good bet as well. I'd imagine you could get a good bargain on airline stocks right now (assuming you think things will get better eventually!). BA, KLM might be worth a punt. You usually get discounts on their tickets as well as a shareholder - a perk not often advertised.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you actually own RKH shares?

I bought Desire Petroleum shares at 125p/share a few months back.....they're now worth about 50p.

Baws!

Yeah took a small punt a few weeks back was getting a bit disillusioned after it went below 40p but todays a fucking result. My average SP holding is ~ 58p. If all goes well, and they have a viable, commercial well on their hands this should be hitting the 's. :love:

Desire sitting at 61.5p, a rise of 62.9% today purely on the Rockhopper news!

Hopefully they will come good for you, Desire have the larger acreage and more wells to drill than RKH so theres every chance. Best of luck!

If only we had a crystal ball...

RKH up 50% again today!

Seriously keep an eye on this one, some experts predicting 600p/share based solely on the Sea Lion well, they still have Ernest to drill. IF both are comercially viable who knows where the SP might go...

Monday will be a big day, another RNS is expected, if all is good... well we'll just have to wait and see. :)

EDIT

Do your own research of course!

I'm nae taking responsibility for y'all losing your houses! ;)