aberdeen-music

Anyone been to Amsterdam lately...?

fi_miller

hello there people of the aberdeen music scene!

damn right. i have been on various sites, looking to find a reasonable place to stay in Amsterdam for a few days. so far i have found a few hotels which look promising, however you can never be too sure....

i was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some advice about accomodation as it can be very helpful to read up on someones personal experience of a hotel rather than always relying on what the sites say.

any help/advice would be muchly apprieciated.

thanks

Fi

Some good places in Waterlooplein. Nice & not expensive, also the Winston is popular with my lot. A very cool place, not overpriced & with very original room-designs - sorry about the website! :D

http://www.winston.nl/

This place is right in the middle of things so can be a bit noisy but it even has its own curry-house! :D

http://www.hotelvijaya.com/anasayfa.php

If you want cheaper hostel type accomodation, StayOK & the Flying Pig up by the Vondelpark are good, cheap & outside the crudzone

http://www.stayokay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Herbergen.showHomeHB&lng=2&id=3

Just in case you are not going there for Van Gough, tulips & cloggs, there is of course this place! ;)

http://www.hemp-hotel.com/

I found a nice jail cell last time I was over. No nonsense self coloured walls and floors with a plain wooden bench in one corner. "No shmoking or banging on the wallsh" was the only condition of staying there. Only a EUR 50 fine for my 2.5 hour stay too! A bargain I'm sure you'll agree!?

....and the offence?! .....pishing in the shtreet! Apparently public urination was one of the top answers given by Amsterdam residents when asked what annoyed them most about tourists so the police were clamping down on it. Doing it behind the police station was a bad idea also!

Oh, and if you do happen to get arrested for something trivial other than suspected drug peddling or theft, they are not allowed to search you so you DON'T actually have to consume everything that is in your pockets while your sitting in the cell waiting to be charged/fined!!!

As for accommodation, just make sure you book something decent before getting there.

Please learn from my mistakes!

Oh' date=' and if you do happen to get arrested for something trivial other than suspected drug peddling or theft, they are not allowed to search you so you DON'T actually have to consume everything that is in your pockets while your sitting in the cell waiting to be charged/fined!!! ![/quote']

Vincent Vega taught me all I knew about Amsterdam -

"It's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it'slegal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause -- get a load of this - if the cops stop you, it's illegal for them to search you. Searching you is a right that the cops in Amsterdam don't have."

Searching you is a right that the cops in Amsterdam don't have."

Depends on the police. If it is the local-force guys in green, you are quite OK but the paramillitary Queens Police are a very different matter & can be a law unto themselves.

They wear the black uniforms/body armour & look not unlike our own plod, carry sub-machineguns & drive Porsches/top model BMWs. Don't mess with them at all!

Usually tho, you only see them around the ports/autoroutes/govt buildings but occasionally you find them doing sweeps of street dealers in the RLD or on "political" duties like clearing squats etc.

Depends on the police. If it is the local-force guys in green' date=' you are quite OK but the paramillitary Queens Police are a very different matter & can be a law unto themselves.

They wear the black uniforms/body armour & look not unlike our own plod, carry sub-machineguns & drive Porsches/top model BMWs. Don't mess with them at all!

Usually tho, you only see them around the ports/autoroutes/govt buildings but occasionally you find them doing sweeps of street dealers in the RLD or on "political" duties like clearing squats etc.[/quote']

You dig it the most.

Lucky Vincent is deid - he wouldn't like anyone contradicting him.....................

Vincent Vega taught me all I knew about Amsterdam -

"It's legal to buy it' date=' it's legal to own it and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it'slegal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause -- get a load of this - if the cops stop you, it's illegal for them to search you. Searching you is a right that the cops in Amsterdam don't have."[/quote']

Of course! If only the words of Vincent had come to me in my time of need I might have got some sleep that night!

If you are straight enough to notice the accommodation - youre doing something wrong!....... Who cares where you stay, all you need is somewhere to dump your stuff and crash out if it all gets a bit much. I'm going over in a couple of weeks (8th trip) and every hotel I've stayed in (some cheap some expensive) have been the same. Steep stairs, pokey rooms, rats in the walls, bread & cheese for breakfast. I've mostly stayed round Leidesplein though - I like it round about there.

On a diffrent note, I hear they are closing down the coffeeshops and mushroom emporiums as of the end of the year. Anyone else heard anything?

mmmmm, i love that cheese and bread breakfast (honestly!). I heard that they were closing these places down to tourists but I doubt if that's true. I'm not going all that way JUST for legal ladies of the night and I'm sure many tourists would be of the same opinion ;-)

Disclaimer: Legal or not, I in no way condone prostitution.

mmmmm' date=' i love that cheese and bread breakfast (honestly!). I heard that they were closing these places down to tourists but I doubt if that's true. I'm not going all that way JUST for legal ladies of the night and I'm sure many tourists would be of the same opinion ;-)

Disclaimer: Legal or not, I in no way condone prostitution.[/quote']

I've never gone for the ladies - no. There will be a lot of places close down. Local economy will die...... Sad really. Have to start taking my hols in Jamaica!

I heard that they were closing these places down to tourists but I doubt if that's true. .

Nope, not going to happen. :)

That was just some right-wing politician stirring-it & taking advantage of German politicians doing similar. About all that happened is that some coffeeshops in border towns got a bit more careful about ID & selling to groups etc.

Worth remembering that these days, coffeeshops all across Holland are a lot more careful about ID/buying for other people than they used to be.

thanks for all the info and advice' date=' im trying to make this a great holiday for me and my partner, thats why im looking for good accomodation. thank you to all.

muchly appreiciated

Fi[/quote']

crowne plaza on the damracht (sp?) is where i usually stay in ams...

nice and central, nice hotel.... a lot of well known (mostly jazz musos) have stayed there... its got a pool... gym (a bit old).... if you are flying you can take the tram straight from the airport to the central station for a couple of quid.... its a good service...

anyways... hope you have a good time...

If you are straight enough to notice the accommodation - youre doing something wrong!.......

On a diffrent note' date=' I hear they are closing down the coffeeshops and mushroom emporiums as of the end of the year. Anyone else heard anything?[/quote']

You know, there are plenty other things to do there - it is a rather interesting city in a whole lot of other ways! :p:)

See my last post, the UK-press scare stories are the usual complete & utter, ill-informed bullshit. :)

hey, you never said you were wanting to go to amsterdam.... weird. ack well i just thought i'd say, you know to be weird hehe. oh well hope the search goes well. you heard from JeJe lately she's in melaysia or how ever you spell it isnt she? LATERS!!!!!:gringo: oh gringo says you shuold go to mexico instead. it much nicer hehe :gringo:

Guest DustyDeviada

Can't remember where I stayed when I went there for my stagger, it was a bit of a hole anyway.As Bass Cadet says, if you are in Amsterdam you shouldn't really be in your hotel anyway. You should be out window shopping. ;)

hehe thanks to this thread' date=' ive got a holiday on the 6th of aug to amsterdam yesh!

300 all inc.

Got to travel to bloody Nottingham to get the cheaper flights however, but ach, a sacrifice is worth a coffee shop, is the way he thought with confidence![/quote']

300 - is that for a week?

4 days.

From aberdeen - nottingham

notts - ams

Hotel

ams - notts

notts - aber

£300 notes for 2 people!!

Not too shabby!!!

We're usually around the £600 mark for 4 days from Aberdoom, but that's at a funcy hotel, as Mrs Diesel "doesn't do basic". Usually the Bilderberg Gardens or thon Russisn place near Dam Square that I can neither spell nor pronounce.

We're over there at least 3 times a year, so I'm going to buy a flat there soon - probably on the Herengraacht or somewhere in Centruum.

When I do, I'll have a housewarming party and we can introduce the neighbours to Messrs Hughes, Kettner, Fender, Page, Iommi, Blackmore, Hendrix, Hammet etc.....

Enjoy your visit, I'm over there next week flat hunting and getting toasted, nicely toasted. :up:

DZL

And what exactly is wrong with Mexico?!?!?!?!? HUH? Mexico is cooler. You ask where'd you get the money for Mexico... Well where'd you get the money for amsterdam? HUH? Wait, now I'm being stupid. Ack well. It was nice while it lasted. Hehe LATERS AND LOVE!!!!! from :gringo: *Music from the good, the bad and the ugly comes in as :gringo: walks intot he sunset.* :gringo: