aberdeen-music

Daniel Johnson

Guest Donald

Guest Donald

For the Belmonts Music Film season....

The Devil and Daniel Johnston (12A)

Jeff Feuerzeigs Sundance-award-winning documentary trawls through the home-movies, drawings, writings and audio recordings of Daniel Johnston, an icon of the lo-fi music scene, to present a heartbreaking story of the music and the man. A whole host of music talent, including the late Kurt Cobain, will readily find praise for Johnstons unique style. A recent tribute compilation included the likes of Tom Waits, Mercury Rev and Beck performing his songs. However, dogged by manic depression throughout his life, Johnstons music has not reached as wide an audience as it undoubtedly deserves. With no attempt to sensationalise his material, Feuerzeig finds the drama in Johnstons troubled life and assesses his erratic career through interviews with Johnstons friends and incredibly devoted family as well as the archive material.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston (12A)

Contains strong language and mental illness theme

Showing 1st and 2nd of July.

Phone the Belmont on 01224343536 or go to www.picturehouses.co.uk for further information.

None of this modren buying tickets in advance nonsense!

In an attempt at tackling the modern-life bull by the horns I went down to the Belmont today at ten past noon to get a ticket.

They were shut, so I'll do the old-fashioned 'go as you buy' tactic, and hope there are seats.

Do you still have to stand for the national anthem??????

In an attempt at tackling the modern-life bull by the horns I went down to the Belmont today at ten past noon to get a ticket.

They were shut' date=' so I'll do the old-fashioned 'go as you buy' tactic, and hope there are seats.

Do you still have to stand for the national anthem??????[/quote']

you going on Sunday Alan?

Belmont2.jpg

When Chilli' date=' Graeme and I were little, this is how the Belmont looked. I loved going, but we often got thrown out 'cos Chilli & Graeme were misbehaving :([/quote']

na that was the Cosmo we were thrown out of!!!!!!!!!!!

(ps Portugal will get gubbed pm today)

Don't worry, Sam....you get to a stage when you can't remember how old you are :)

.....or, in Chilli's case WHO you are. He thinks he's Shirley Temple...but wearing a dress and singing 'The Good Ship Lollipop' was taking things a tad too far, IMO.

I went to see the film this afternoon.....it was excellent!!!

Don't worry' date=' Sam....you get to a stage when you can't remember how old you are :)

.....or, in Chilli's case WHO you are. He thinks he's Shirley Temple...but wearing a dress and singing 'The Good Ship Lollipop' was taking things a tad too far, IMO.

I went to see the film this afternoon.....it was excellent!!![/quote']

aye we went on Sunday night - very interesting portrait of a troubled life. I feel sorry for his dad when he was flying Daniel home...