aberdeen-music

camera advice...

Guest MDP

i'm wanting to buy a new digital camera, a good one...

im thinking possibly an SLR if i can afford one, and advice/recomendations?

i want to use it for gigs, scenery, and general pics of people n stuff...

cheers:up:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks like a SWEET lens, i always wondered how photos like that are taken...

if money alows i am thinking d70s is the way to go, as everyone i have spoken to has recomended it as a fantastic beginners slr...

lens wise ive got no idea what i'm after really... and tbh, i dont think i'll have much more money leftover, LOL

that's the thing i like about slr's, you always have the option to upgrade, or buy special lenses later on

Guest Craig C
lens wise ive got no idea what i'm after really... and tbh' date=' i dont think i'll have much more money leftover, LOL

that's the thing i like about slr's, you always have the option to upgrade, or buy special lenses later on[/quote']

Exactly. And, the 18-70mm kit lens supplied with the camera is really good in terms of optics and build quality - a good landscape lens.

EOS 350D or d70S... that is the question, i have bene recomended each one by a lot of people, the canon is slightly cheaper... but which one is better...?

EOS 350D or d70S... that is the question' date=' i have bene recomended each one by a lot of people, the canon is slightly cheaper... but which one is better...?[/quote']

there are good and bad points to both of these cameras. canon have the edge in the digital market.

you need to goto jessops or somewhere and try them out. the 350d does feel light and like a toy to me. the d70(s) is very noisy above iso800 and results from the 350d are superior at 1600 - guess this depends if you are going to do low light photography.

fuji s3 is down in price and takes nikon lenses - nice bit of kit.

i've got a d70 and like it but under certain shooting conditions it just doesnie cope

there are good and bad points to both of these cameras. canon have the edge in the digital market.

you need to goto jessops or somewhere and try them out. the 350d does feel light and like a toy to me. the d70(s) is very noisy above iso800 and results from the 350d are superior at 1600 - guess this depends if you are going to do low light photography.

fuji s3 is down in price and takes nikon lenses - nice bit of kit.

i've got a d70 and like it but under certain shooting conditions it just doesnie cope

Fuji make decent digital SLR's. Although they dont have uber-high pixels they are use very decent ccd chips so the latitude is good.

Be warned that in order to shoot gigs properly you'll need an f2.8 lens... and those are very expensive. For a f2.8 zoom lens you're probably looking at around 1000, and 500 for a fixed lens. And be warned that even with a fast lens it's still hard to get a decent colour shot!

if you can't afford a fast lens then you'll be reduced to shooting gigs with a flash. The problem with built in flash in that the bigger lens' cast a shadow over the bottom of the shot, so you really need something like a speedgun which sits higher up and can flash around/past the lens.

If using a flash then you'll find that a lot of the lighting colour is washed out by the white light of the flash. The solution then is to shoot in B&W. I'd guess that this part of the reason why so many gigs are shot in B&W... apart from the fact it looks cool.

It's always worth checkin eBay if you are on a budget because NOTHING ON THIS EARTH DEPRECIATES IN VALUE AS FAST AS PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT!!! And the chances are you can get a much better camera and lens for 1/4 the price of a new one.

PS Although the Cannon may be a ba hairs superior in spec at this price... Personally I'd still go for a Nikon - they are nicer cameras to use, and feel much better in the hands. Cannon is an electronics conglomerate. They make all sorts of things. Nikon is a manufacturer of photographic equipment. They make cameras and damn fine lenses.

For people that already own a camera and are upgrading, they are usually stuck on a particular path because they already have certain compatible lenses, and those are (much more) expensive to replace. So whatever you buy now is likely to dictate what you'll buy in the future.

to be honest the choice between the canon and the nikon at that level is down to personal preference. there's not much difference and where one has an advantage it's usually cancelled by something else that the other is better at(for instance the nikon not feeling like a plastic toy camera like the canon does).

the fuji s3 is certainly worth a look though, one of the guys in my class has one and they're very nice indeed. two 6mp ccd sensors apparently giving it an effective 12mp, seems to work quite nicely as well.

http://whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/review/Fuji_S3_Pro_11049.php

like bifta says it's just dropped to around £600 and takes lovely nikon lenses.

obviously an f2.8 lens has advantages in low light situations but there are ways around this if your lens doesn't open that far. using a flash can be fun sometimes too, flash drag works a peach in live music environments. if you've got a decent flash gun you can also set it so it doesn't overpower the scene and just fills in the detail a bit.

best thing to do is buy within your budget and get a camera that has the features you will use(not loads of features which sound cool but you'll never even look at) and practice, practice, practice!