aberdeen-music

tips for opening jars

Chris

I find the best thing to do is struggle for ages' date=' then take it to someone who would, without fail, make you feel like a fool if they were able to open it themselves (see: Grandma, small child, little sister etc).

Sods law dictates that they will open it with ease, forcing you to embark on an argument about how successful you were in loosening it in the first place.[/quote']

This option has never failed for me... The most recent example was when, somehow, the manliest man in mantown had sneaked into my flat and tightened the lid of a bottle of coke I had. Cue me struggling for ages to try and open it, only for my bloody flatmate to open it in one go.

I had loosened it a bit for him though.

This option has never failed for me... The most recent example was when' date=' somehow, the manliest man in mantown had sneaked into my flat and tightened the lid of a bottle of coke I had. Cue me struggling for ages to try and open it, only for my bloody flatmate to open it in one go.

I had loosened it a bit for him though.[/quote']

You fool! If you'd gone straight for the cutlery drawer and pulled out the nut crackers, you would not only have been enjoying sumptuous, tasty Coke quicker, your friends would have marvelled at your problem-solving ingenuity. I believe it's all in the serrated edge, with the additional purchase this provides.

You fool! If you'd gone straight for the cutlery drawer and pulled out the nut crackers' date=' you would not only have been enjoying sumptuous, tasty Coke quicker, your friends would have marvelled at your problem-solving ingenuity. I believe it's all in the serrated edge, with the additional purchase this provides.[/quote']

honestly though, who has nutcrackers?

as for the coke bottle effort, the secret there is to use a door. open the door nice and wide and put the lid in the gap left on the hinged side of the door, then pull the door closed by the handle. the width of the door gives a huge amout of leverage to get a nice tight grip on the bottle between the door and the frame. then all you need to do is wait till it's squeezing and twist the bottle. if the lid turns too, pull he door tighter again and you'll be sorted.

/x

Guest bluesxman
It wasn't one of these was it.....

boa4-1.jpg

No, similar idea but this one has a wide slot at the end of the handle with a rubber bit inside, you insert the lid of whatever you want to open, slide it until the rubber bit has a grip and turn.

as for the coke bottle effort' date=' the secret there is to use a door. open the door nice and wide and put the lid in the gap left on the hinged side of the door, then pull the door closed by the handle. the width of the door gives a huge amout of leverage to get a nice tight grip on the bottle between the door and the frame. then all you need to do is wait till it's squeezing and twist the bottle. if the lid turns too, pull he door tighter again and you'll be sorted.

/x[/quote']

As brilliant as this is (I use this method myself for drinks bottles) do only do it to doors you don't care about. The pressure will likely leave a dent in the wood.