aberdeen-music

exotic scales....?

Dan G

I've been listening to a lot of Marty friedman's solo's recently and he frequently uses exotic scales. Anyone else ever use anything other than standard major/minor or standard pentatonic scales?

I know it isn't 'cool' to play solos anymore...

For instance I have two personal favourites, and they are:

kumoi scale (which is a Japanese pentatonic)

I - bII - IV - V - bVI

it is effectively the phrygian mode but with no 3rd or 7th, so in the key of E it would look like this:

D ----------------------2---

A ----------0---2---3--------

E --0---1--------------------

spanish phrygian scale

I - bII - III - IV - V - bVI - bVII

this scale has a number of names, but it is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. It is the phrygian mode but with a major 3rd rather than a minor 3rd.

D ----------------------------0---2---

A ---------------0---2---3-------------

E --0---1---4--------------------------

There you go, that's my theory lesson for the day. I doubt whether anyone cares but it is a good swap for the same old minor pentatonic solo's.

Hungarian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------3--5--6-------------------------------

-----------------------------------------3---5--6------------------------------------------

D--------------------------3---5----7-----------------------------------------------------

A--------------4---5---6------------------------------------------------------------------

E---3---5---6------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A spanish thing i made up .....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------11---12---------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------10-- 12 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------8--9--11---------------------------------------------

D-------------------------------7---9---10---------------------------------------------------------

A-----------------7---9---10-----------------------------------------------------------------------

E----7---8--10--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

another eeeeeeeeeeeeeegyptian typed thing i made up.....

--------------------------------------------------7-----------------------------

-----------------------------------------9---10----------------------------------

---------------------------7---9--10----------------------------------------------

--------------7---9---10------------------------------------------------------------

-------7---8----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool cool. Here a riff I wrote a wee while back. Its a sweep pick/string skip thing (fuck it I dont know the terms)

It in open D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------12----14---------------13-----15--------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---12----14-------0---0---13-----15------0----0----------------------------------

I dont know, I have never really written tabs before lol

Originally posted by *Craig_HexPen*:

another eeeeeeeeeeeeeegyptian typed thing i made up.....

--------------------------------------------------7-----------------------------

-----------------------------------------9---10----------------------------------

---------------------------7---9--10----------------------------------------------

--------------7---9---10------------------------------------------------------------

-------7---8----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's kinda simlilar to the kumoi one...sounds ace.

Although is that the 'full' scale' because there is no major 3rd on the first octave, but a major third on the second octave (9th fret on B string)?

Here's one for you Craig. Take a full 7 note scale (can be a mode or the Hungarian scale, or whatever) and take out any 2 of the notes (eg the 3rd and 6th or the 4th and 7th) so it now makes a pentatonic scale. You can come up with some pretty cool runs cos you're limited by the notes you can play so there will be some big intervals between certain sections.:up:

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

That's kinda simlilar to the kumoi one...sounds ace.

Although is that the 'full' scale' because there is no major 3rd on the first octave, but a major third on the second octave (9th fret on B string)?

Here's one for you Craig. Take a full 7 note scale (can be a mode or the Hungarian scale, or whatever) and take out any 2 of the notes (eg the 3rd and 6th or the 4th and 7th) so it now makes a pentatonic scale. You can come up with some pretty cool runs cos you're limited by the notes you can play so there will be some big intervals between certain sections.:up:

I dunno if theres more to that scale its just something i worked out using my ear(s) :p

Il try out your sudgestion :D Recently iv been trying outimprovising using octave displacement along with altered tensions. sounds mad :p

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

spanish phrygian scale

I - bII - III - IV - V - bVI - bVII

this scale has a number of names, but it is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. It is the phrygian mode but with a major 3rd rather than a minor 3rd.

D ----------------------------0---2---

A ---------------0---2---3-------------

E --0---1---4--------------------------

There you go, that's my theory lesson for the day. I doubt whether anyone cares but it is a good swap for the same old minor pentatonic solo's.

As used by Metallica in "Wherever I may Roam", unless Rob's ears and fingers deceive him....

Great feel to it, eh?

Originally posted by *Craig_HexPen*:

Il try out your sudgestion :D Recently iv been trying outimprovising using octave displacement along with altered tensions. sounds mad :p

I'm not really one for the whole mega dissonant or dischordant sounding chords, but I really like the use of weird chords (often two different ones played by two guitarists) that sound really NICE together, for example these chords sound ace, although you have to arpeggiate some of them to make them sound really nice.

e ------------------

B ---7-------------

G ---8-------------

D ---6-------------

A ---7-------------

E ---0--------------

e ---5---------------

B ---3--------------

G ---6--------------

D ---4--------------

A -----------------

E ------------------

e --------------5--

B ----------0------

G ------5----------

D ---2-------------

A -----------------

E ------------------

e ------------------1--

B --------------4-----

G ----------3---------

D -------1------------

A ---2----------------

E --------------------

I'm not sure what they are all specifically called, but note wise from top to bottom they appear to be:

Emaj7add9

F#m6

Em6(no 3rd)add 11

Bmaj7b5

(I don't know if those are right, but the notes are correct)

• 2 weeks later...

Software for guitar tuition

May or may nor be useful but I wrote a piece of software a (long) while back for teaching scales. You can get a general idea of what it does by looking at the pictures at :

http://www.webprofusion.com/scalex/

Anyone wants to try it out go ahead and download it, you need to have the microsoft.net framework installed first, otherwise you won't have any luck running it.

I've been toying with the idea of going back and finishing it but I dunno if there's a market for it - it would need a lot of polish and stuff added like being able to edit your own tunings/scales etc before it would be particularly useful..

The ancient DOS version is surprisingly useful if you can figure out how to work it!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jimmygoodein:

i made up this medievil type scale:

|---------------------------------------------------|

|----------7-9-10-9-7-----------------------------|

|-7-9-10---------------10-9-7-9---10-9-7-6-7--|------

|----------------------------------------------------|

You didn't make it up...it's called the (E) Harmonic Minor scale... ;)