aberdeen-music

Flyposting Pillars to be Erected Around Town

french_disko

Walk along almost any street in Glasgow and the hordings or boarded up shop windows are 'ligitimately' covered in large posters giving the impression and the sense of a vibrancy to the city.

i totally agree with this.

old concert posters and band stickers add a little to the livelieness of a city.

I'm positive that I read in a recent Evening Express (I know o_O ) that each pillar is going to cost 10K a year to maintain. I really don't see how sending a council worker to scrape the old posters off and stick new ones on could possibly cost that much. It's not like whoever does it would have to travel far and wide to reach them. Unless they pay them 30K a year or use gold flecked glue I have no idea how they could explain 10K per annum.

I'm positive that I read in a recent Evening Express (I know o_O ) that each pillar is going to cost 10K a year to maintain. I really don't see how sending a council worker to scrape the old posters off and stick new ones on could possibly cost that much. It's not like whoever does it would have to travel far and wide to reach them. Unless they pay them 30K a year or use gold flecked glue I have no idea how they could explain 10K per annum.

10K a year per pillar??!?!

That's surely wrong, I could imagine it being 10K a year for all of them. As you point out, one person doing half a days work, plus some admin costs and the occasional lick of paint can't be that expensive.

I'm positive that I read in a recent Evening Express (I know o_O ) that each pillar is going to cost 10K a year to maintain.

What!!

Christ on a fucking bike, that's ridiculous. I thought those things maintained themselves. Someone sticks a poster up, it gets old, someone scrapes it off and puts another one over it.

10 Grand. Aberdeen council need a kick up the arse for that suggestion. What buffoon would sit in a meeting and say "and of course, we'll need someone to maintain them.."

I really despair.

What!!

Christ on a fucking bike' date=' that's ridiculous. I thought those things maintained themselves. Someone sticks a poster up, it gets old, someone scrapes it off and puts another one over it.

10 Grand. Aberdeen council need a kick up the arse for that suggestion. What buffoon would sit in a meeting and say "and of course, we'll need someone to maintain them.."

I really despair.[/quote']

They will need someone to maintain them. If they just put the pillars up and leave it at that, they'll quickly become plastered in nightclub flyers, some of the more unscrupulous promoters/venues will cover up competitors posters, no one will scrape off old posters so they'll be left to rot, and probably some other bad things as well.

So, in answer to your question, probably a buffoon that's sat down and thought about it.

They will need someone to maintain them. If they just put the pillars up and leave it at that' date=' they'll quickly become plastered in nightclub flyers, some of the more unscrupulous promoters/venues will cover up competitors posters, no one will scrape off old posters so they'll be left to rot, and probably some other bad things as well.

So, in answer to your question, probably a buffoon that's sat down and thought about it.[/quote']

Why shouldn't they be covered in nightclub flyers? They have as much right to advertise as a live music venue.

Also, If you were to put up a poster and you wanted yours to stay up, you would scrape off the old one.

I just can't see how they can justify 10K on a glorified bollard.

Guest bluesxman

They would need some maintenance to remove old posters and keep in decent nick and someone being paid ten grand a year to maintain them sounds about right.

i disagree. a disused shop with 200 rotting posters for coloursfest does not appeal to me. it's not just one off's either' date=' it's right across the city.

/x[/quote']

an derelict building without fly posters or graffiti is like a christmas tree with no fairy lights

pointless

a decorated slum is better than an undecorated one

They would need some maintenance to remove old posters and keep in decent nick and someone being paid ten grand a year to maintain them sounds about right.

I totally disagree. I believe with no funding these things would be self-maintaining.

I think they should try it out with no funding for 6 months and see how it goes. (It saves 5K and could save more in the long run so why not?)

Why shouldn't they be covered in nightclub flyers? They have as much right to advertise as a live music venue.

Also' date=' If you were to put up a poster and you wanted yours to stay up, you would scrape off the old one.

I just can't see how they can justify 10K on a glorified bollard.[/quote']

They do have as much right, but there's only 18 A3 (by my calculations) spaces. If the spaces are FREE, nightclubs, who are open every night, will send round one of their flyer staff EVERY night to put up a poster. I know I would, the cost of someone putting up posters for half an hour instead of flyering would be more than covered with 1 extra punter through the door.

within a week of installation they will be fully encased in a mountain of seagull shit and be the source of a freeflowing river of lagery frothy piss

neds will also climb up them and jump off causing themselves further brain damage....this is probably the only positive argument in favour of installing them