aberdeen-music

the new tool album just through the post :D

Untitled

Also' date=' I never usually quite get into the lyrical content of albums quite like this... But the song 'The Pot' - has anyone noticed it's doubling meaning; It attacks weed-smokers with a bunch of cool of metaphors ("eyehole deep in muddy waters...", presumably referring to bongs), but also the fact the song is bashing hypocrites and liers ("Now you piss all over my black kettle"). Before I heard the song I assumed the title was about a ceramic container, but I now know is about weed and a metaphor for a hypocrite :D

Maybe I'm just stupid and everyone already 'got' this, but it's fucking clever...[/quote']

....and the "chorus" "you must have been high"...doh.

My verdict on the album;

If this is your first Tool album, you're going to be blown away. It's full of the invention and intellgence that no other band has.

If you already have Aenima and/or Lateralus (not so much their previous albums), then it's a dissapointment. Aenima was a brilliant album with some faults; Lateralus took all that was good about it and improved on it, taking the musicianship a step further. Still sounded like the same band though. Many people thought 10,000 days would also take a massive stepforward musically, and that they'd make an album that sounded like nothing else. Instead they've made an album that, while undoubtably good, couldn't live up to the expectations. It's like a mixture of the last two albums, it really hasn't got anything new to contribute. The fast drum rolls, the riffs, the vocals; while no other band sounds like this (except of course maybe A Perfect Circle) it all sounds like you've heard it before. I like this album but it's really not going to be on my stereo constantly, unlike Lateralus - 4 years on.

Also' date=' I never usually quite get into the lyrical content of albums quite like this... But the song 'The Pot' - has anyone noticed it's doubling meaning; It attacks weed-smokers with a bunch of cool of metaphors ("eyehole deep in muddy waters...", presumably referring to bongs), but also the fact the song is bashing hypocrites and liers ("Now you piss all over my black kettle"). Before I heard the song I assumed the title was about a ceramic container, but I now know is about weed and a metaphor for a hypocrite :D

Maybe I'm just stupid and everyone already 'got' this, but it's fucking clever...[/quote']

I thought it was meaning that people are criticizing a role model of his. " now you piss all over my black kettle", I noticed that he could be reffering to the black kettle, the southern cheyenne chief. As he carries on saying "you must have been high".

Basically he's saying don't bring down what i believe in when you're worth fuck all yerself!

....and the "chorus" "you must have been high"...doh.

haha' date=' yeah I that was one of the more obvious references! :D

I thought it was meaning that people are criticizing a role model of his. " now you piss all over my black kettle", I noticed that he could be reffering to the black kettle, the southern cheyenne chief. As he carries on saying "you must have been high".

Basically he's saying don't bring down what i believe in when you're worth fuck all yerself!

hmmm... I assumed "Now you piss all over my black kettle" was in reference to the expression "the pot calling the kettle 'black'"... i.e. a pot is a hypocrite, as they are dirtier than kettles.

Also "liar, lawyer - mirror show me what's the difference" - again referring to liars, and the stuff at the start about robbing the grave to snow the cradle

before burning the evidence down... has to be stoner jargon :)

The Album went in at #4 in the charts this week!

I know tool and tool fans probably won't give a flying toss about this but i thought it was pretty cool.

On the lyrics thing, i fucking love tool for writing songs with layered meanings, like stinkfist. I think pretty much everyone would get the nod to anal fisting, but then theres things like the media desensetizing us to reality and how it's turning us into mindless drones. Although im sure different people can take a heap of different things out of it. It's just fucking ace.

As for the new album, i dont really wanna get too into it on here, mainly coz i know how these things go with tool, some songs will take forever to click with me whereas some like Vicarious have been firm favourites since i first heard them.

Tho i am rather enjoying Wings for Marie and 10,000 days at the moment.

x

Also i think i just figured where this whole thing about Meshuggah came from.

In the "Albums to hear in 2005" issue of Kerrang, Danny Carey said the following:

There seems to be more brute force going on in the music' date=' rather than being lighter and more intracate like some of the stuff on the last record.

It still has quirky time changes, but so far we've been working on really heavy stuff. Mike Patton and Dave Lombardo - those guys are good, heavy influence and we did most of the dates on the last tour with Meshuggah. They're incredibly heavy, so it was a good kick in the teeth playing with them.

[/quote']

As I say this quote was from January 05, so it's quite possible some of this 'heavier' stuff may of fallen by the wayside before the album came out, tho i can see kinda in songs like Jambi (the opening riff especially) what he was on about by heavier stuff.

Also through here-say in the media over the last year and a half, that Meshuggah quote has obviously ballooned from 'we toured with them and they were heavy as shit' to 'the next tool album is going to sound like Meshuggah'.

Thats my theory on the whole thing anyway...