aberdeen-music

Good week for gigs in aberdeen

Marc

4 gigs stand out this week in the deen, forward russia on monday, brakes yesterday, hope of the states friday and morrissey on saturday. Can get so frustrating living here, can sometimes go weeks without a big gig then they all come at once. Remembering this happening last october with subways, kooks, ordinary boys, kills, be your own pet and hard fi all in the city in the same week. Obviously theres no way around this, just thought i would say that the citys done well for gigs this week. Wish every week was like this

This is on the same night as Mozza, but headliners aren't till after 11pm, so possible to catch them both. That's what I'm planning (and not just coz I work at the Lemon Tree)

I Like Trains: Fiction / Action+The Welfare Mothers

Saturday 22 April

The Lemon Tree

Tickets 6 (4 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 9.00pm

Show Starts: 9.30pm

Since their first gig in February 2004, iLiKETRAiNS have crept in as a formidable part of the fertile Leeds scene, creating individual musical soundscapes that have stood them apart from their contemporaries. Debut single, the dark, brooding murder ballad Before The Curtains Close earned them strong praise in the national and regional press. Triumphant slots at the Carling Leeds Festival and In The City, and the second single A Rook House For Bobby confirmed them as very serious contenders. Decked out in matching British Rail uniforms and backed by films of trains, snow and chess from their antiquated projectors, their live shows are now starting to fill venues around the UK via webzines and enthusiastic support from the likes of NME and The Fly.

www.iliketrains.co.uk

This is on the same night as Mozza' date=' but headliners aren't till after 11pm, so possible to catch them both. That's what I'm planning (and not just coz I work at the Lemon Tree)

I Like Trains: Fiction / Action+The Welfare Mothers

Saturday 22 April

The Lemon Tree

Tickets 6 (4 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 9.00pm

Show Starts: 9.30pm

Since their first gig in February 2004, iLiKETRAiNS have crept in as a formidable part of the fertile Leeds scene, creating individual musical soundscapes that have stood them apart from their contemporaries. Debut single, the dark, brooding murder ballad Before The Curtains Close earned them strong praise in the national and regional press. Triumphant slots at the Carling Leeds Festival and In The City, and the second single A Rook House For Bobby confirmed them as very serious contenders. Decked out in matching British Rail uniforms and backed by films of trains, snow and chess from their antiquated projectors, their live shows are now starting to fill venues around the UK via webzines and enthusiastic support from the likes of NME and The Fly.

[url']www.iliketrains.co.uk

that sounds like the wankiest band ever. i bet if you read that out to the band they'd go "shit, if you put it like that. c'mon guys lets form a motorhead tribute act instead!"

:p

obviously, that depends how much you like the kooks or hard-fi.

in my opinion, Hard-Fi write terrible melodies. i just don't like them...

EDIT: i didn't put that across very well. i mean Hard-Fi leave me quite indifferent unless they are played on the radio.

that sounds like the wankiest band ever. i bet if you read that out to the band they'd go "shit' date=' if you put it like that. c'mon guys lets form a motorhead tribute act instead!"

:p[/quote']

Is it the band name, musical description or uniforms that put this band on a masturbatory plane above all others?

I hate Kooks* and "dance music's favourite band"* Hard Fi too.

* Mixmag

* Nae much chance they'll ever come to the Lemon Tree now, but if they do please forget you saw this post

Is it the band name' date=' musical description or uniforms that put this band on a masturbatory plane above all others?

I hate Kooks* and "dance music's favourite band"* Hard Fi too.

* Mixmag

* Nae much chance they'll ever come to the Lemon Tree now, but if they do please forget you saw this post[/quote']

i think probably a mixture of all three. don't get me wrong i'm sure they're probably very good. i can hardly speak either, i've been known to enjoy wanky pretentious shit myself.

Time will tell if they are any cop - have only heard clips from their website and myspace myself - so can't say with any conviction that you are categorically wrong and that they are not the least bit wanky.

I wasn't taking exception to the post - it's just that I have fond memories of BR - a proper nationalised industry - reminds me of power cuts and, eh, car plants closing down....

Anyway if I try and hijack this post for my own partisan ends I have to deal with the consequences.

Might try reading out the description to them and see what they say. The last Motorhead tribute we had here didn't seem to go down that well, so who knows, ha ha

4 gigs stand out this week in the deen' date=' forward russia on monday, brakes yesterday, hope of the states friday and morrissey on saturday. Can get so frustrating living here, can sometimes go weeks without a big gig then they all come at once. Remembering this happening last october with subways, kooks, ordinary boys, kills, be your own pet and hard fi all in the city in the same week. Obviously theres no way around this, just thought i would say that the citys done well for gigs this week. Wish every week was like this[/quote']

Its ace wooowoo althought i am knackered already!