aberdeen-music

Weekend Of Gigs

Ross

I`d love to go to that but I`m at Christiansen at Moshulu: US band signed to Revelation:

More info on them from King Tuts web site:

"Christiansen

Hearing Christiansen's Brad Magers do his thing, it strikes me that no-one seems comfortable having their bass guitar near the front of the mix anymore. I'm not referring to upfront players like Flea, Les Claypool, Bill Laswell, or even Dan Lilker of Nuclear Assault, of course. I really mean bassist in the post-punk funk field, a la The Dismemberment Plan or early Talking Heads. Mid-range-y, barren guitar riffs typically fill the void in indie rock most of the time, and the bassist generally only has that particular occupation because of their cool hair. As with The Makeup.

Christiansen are the exception. This six song EP is a breath of fresh air amongst a growing pile of four-chord corpses littering the racks at your favorite record shop, and I'm now quite curious to hear 2001's "Emphasizing Function Over Design" album. The methodology of modern (cough) rock and roll would have them firmly rooted in either the "punk" or "emo#amp;quot; camps. Well, emo makes me edgy, itchy, and irritable; and I stifle a yawn when hearing this new generation's interpretation of what "punk" is anyway. A smart person once said that the best kinds of music weren't very easy to catalog and put into tidy little categories. While agreeing with that sentiment, how does one ever review anything but the most mindless drivel?

It isn't easy, and I'm having to half-ignore that directive, especially when listening to bands I think need to be heard, and need to be talked about. Christiansen are now on that short list."

Twas a good un......

Quite glad the Christiansen gig was moved to the back room as it had a great atmosphere...... Bloody hot in there though...

Christiansen were ace....... rather like At The Drive In meets Kyuss

They may well be back next year. Either because they really enjoyed them selves and were treated well or because I gave them cans of Irn Bru which you can`t get in the US..... you be the judge!