aberdeen-music

recording software help

dorkusmalorkus

allo.

im looking into gettin some recording software for my comp so i can make better quality recordings than my four track does. but i dont know which are the best.

could anyone recommend any? and what other stuff (hardware) might i need, like a better sound card or microphones etc? do most programs come with drum machines?

just slap up what u use or recommend and why and the approx prices.

Cheears, Davy.

Guest scott cs.

Buy a copy of Sound on Sound, it's a bible of audio stuff. you can read back issues on www.soundonsound.com

as for software - if you want to be creative, get something like Cubase or even Abelton. ProTools is good, but i'm not a fan of the interface and the limited hardware options.

hardware wise, you'd need a good external soundcard with as much inputs as you can afford and a low latency rating. your computer should have a large amount of RAM, processor power and HD space. you can pick up a couple of SM57s, they're about £60 on www.studiospares.com i think. they'll record pretty much anything and are really reliable.

as for cost, the more you spend, the better the quality. mostly...

I have just been bitten by the computer recording bug. At the moment Im using Adobe Audition which is easy to use but trying out Cubase LE too.

For recording instruments Im getting on just fine with the Shure SM57.

No doubt as this bug turns into a virus I will start spending all my money on Desks, effects, vst's, compressors, analogue/digital whirlygig doofers.

I have just been bitten by the computer recording bug. At the moment Im using Adobe Audition which is easy to use but trying out Cubase LE too.

For recording instruments Im getting on just fine with the Shure SM57.

No doubt as this bug turns into a virus I will start spending all my money on Desks' date=' effects, vst's, compressors, analogue/digital whirlygig doofers.[/quote']

Definately move to something like cubase SX2 asap, but give nuendo and logic audio a go aswell and find out which you prefer! Audition is more useful as a sample editor (which it was originally designed as) than for truly flexible multitracking/arranging/producing.

Guest Neubeatz
allo.

im looking into gettin some recording software for my comp so i can make better quality recordings than my four track does. but i dont know which are the best.

could anyone recommend any? and what other stuff (hardware) might i need' date=' like a better sound card or microphones etc? do most programs come with drum machines?

just slap up what u use or recommend and why and the approx prices.

Cheears, Davy.[/quote']

Just in the process of trying Adobe Audition2, hit me up a PM if you wanna link ;)

thanks folks! reckon im headin in the cubase direction, generally seems to be one of the more revered. have to wait till my birthday tho. but that just means ive got more time to root aboot for others.

and a cubase book from amazon or summat coz im afraid i'll probably live up to my user name when trying to work the fucker.

Ive always gone for the sonic foundry range, think they were bought over by Sony. but if your rubbish with computers like me then the interface will be perfect. Acid and Sound Forge work well together, although they lack a drum machine there are plenty of stand alone DM packages available for cheap.

most people will slate me for saying use sony, but it serves its purpose well.