Whats your favourite The Beatles album?

-matthEw-

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da is a horrible song.

Nah, it's a great song. I don't have a problem with cheery, poppy songs with good tunes that are easy to sing along to, even if its "cooler" to say it's crap.

Guest bluesxman
Nah' date=' it's a great song. I don't have a problem with cheery, poppy songs with good tunes that are easy to sing along to, even if its "cooler" to say it's crap.[/quote']

I'm not trying to be 'cool'. It's a shite song. In my opinion. Feel free to like it if you want, I don't care.

I never listen to The Beatles often enough to remember all the songs on the albums that I like/don't like, but I really enjoy the Help! album....I think I've listened to Beatles For Sale once since I got it, can't see me listening to it again, it's pants.

No it's not' date=' it's a cheery, poppy piece of fluff. It's not meant to be taken seriously, but it is one of the key tracks on the White Album.

Personally I'd go for Revolver or Hard Days Night. HDN is the Beatles at their pop peak, Revolver had them at full throttle creativity-wise. Not a bad song on either, and certainly light years ahead of the competition at the time.

The only gripe I have with the White Album is that it's a bit too much to process in one sitting. I would never split it up into two albums though, it would lose its magic.

Abbey road gets a bit ponderous in the middle, songs like "Because" and "Mean Mr. Mustard" really aren't up to scratch. "Let It Be" is horrible, they should have kept the good songs back for singles or an EP and consigned "One After 909" "Dig A Pony" and "Dig It" to eternal limbo.

The worst Beatles album has to be "Beatles For Sale". It sounds like a band out of ideas at the end of their career. That's probably why they're so revered now, because they came back with stormers like "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" within a year of that being churned out.[/quote']

I'd go with most of that too.

Beatles for Sale was them kanckered from touring and on a downer but considering they made 2 LPs a year, released non LP singles and B sides plus toured constantly til August 1966 and made a few films...nae bad gaen considering eh.

Guest DustyDeviada
Abbey road gets a bit ponderous in the middle' date=' songs like "Because" and "Mean Mr. Mustard" really aren't up to scratch. [/quote']

I think those two are great songs, each to their own. There's a tasty version of Men Mr Mustard on Anthology 3 as well.

The worst Beatles album has to be "Beatles For Sale". It sounds like a band out of ideas at the end of their career. That's probably why they're so revered now' date=' because they came back with stormers like "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" within a year of that being churned out.[/quote']

To be fair though they were having to knock out two albums a year at the time. Who would be able to do that nowadays with any degree of consistency?

Guest DustyDeviada
Sorry' date=' what I should've said was there are songs on every album that I don't like but since you asked I stuck on Abbey Road and you're right, there aint a duff song on it so I retract my previous statement and go with Abbey Road as my favourite.[/quote']

Apology accepted. ;)

Guest DustyDeviada

This is probably a good point to mention that Buck Owens, who originally recorded "Act Naturally", died on Saturday.

RIP Buck, architect of the "Bakersfield Sound".

To me even the songs that are generally considered crap on the White Album i can stomach, and, if in the mood, even enjoy. Martha My Dear, Rocky Racoon and Piggies et al may seem a bit pointless, but can you really imagine a White Album without them?

It is too hard to actually let my fingers type that i think the White Album is the best, cos really they are all so important to me i feel like im neglecting a close friend. cheese.

Early Beatles : Help

Mid Beatles : Rubber Soul/Revolver

Post Mid Beatles : White Album

Falling Apart Beatles : Abbey Road.

and the worst album is Let It Be, naked or otherwise. horrible production and the soons aren't up to scratch at all.

I hate saying "the white album" ehehe

My first answer was The Beatles from 1968... I love the sounds, it's slightly dark vibe and the sheer variety it offers!

After that I'd say Revolver, but after thinking about it, Abbey Road seems to be the most potent when it comes to emotional impact.

So:

1) The Beatles - 1968

2) Revolver - 1966

3) Abbey Road - 1969

Fuck, those three albums alone make The Beatles the greatest band that ever was and ever will be!!!

I can't stand The White Album, I think it's an ugly record, so glib and arrogant. There's a lovely earnestness about The Beatles in thier earlier days. For me it's Revolver. I've never been a big Sgt Pepper fan, I think the album spawned some good music but iniktself I think it's a pretentious mess. I know I'm slaughtering sacred cows here. But Day In the Life, lovely verses, dodgy middle section and that appalling racket too, what is the point of it??

My virew is the Beatles were the most astounding songwriters of the 20th Century for the direct three minute song but they just weren't very good at prog.

Guest DustyDeviada
and the worst album is Let It Be' date=' naked or otherwise. horrible production and the soons aren't up to scratch at all.[/quote']

Probably right, but even then you've got great tunes like Two of Us and I Me Mine. As for the production, as Lennon himself said about Spector's efforts:

"He was given the shittiest load of badly recorded shit with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something out of it."

I haven't heard the "naked" version.

...that appalling racket too' date=' what is the point of it??

[/quote']

It's a musical orgasm...

A Day in the Life is sheer brilliance, it's a sacred cow that stands up to any criticism! :p

My favourite part of it though is the wordless singing/orchestral part from 2.49 - 3.18! :love:

I can't stand The White Album' date=' I think it's an ugly record, so glib and arrogant. There's a lovely earnestness about The Beatles in thier earlier days. For me it's Revolver. I've never been a big Sgt Pepper fan, I think the album spawned some good music but iniktself I think it's a pretentious mess. I know I'm slaughtering sacred cows here. But Day In the Life, lovely verses, dodgy middle section and that appalling racket too, what is the point of it??

My virew is the Beatles were the most astounding songwriters of the 20th Century for the direct three minute song but they just weren't very good at prog.[/quote']

That would be not very good at plodding, overblown, pointless "epics"....thank fuck for that.

But as stated already they were truly progressive in every sense. The journey from Love Me Do to Strawberry Fields took 3 years. Unfortunatley it also opened the gate to self indulgence under the pretence of "progressive rock".

As for Tomorrow Never Knows, it probably has more in common with dance music than any "prog rock". I love The Bealtes because they didn't follow, stick to genres or styles, they just did their own thing and let the songs breathe.

Guest DustyDeviada
The best band ever. That's inarguable FACT ...in my opinion

Yip. I used to listen to Danny Baker on the radio (it was good, honest) and he had a sidekick called Danny Kelly who used to be editor of Q magazine and hosted a late night Channel 4 football show called Over the Moon or something.

Anyhoo, I remember them having big arguments on air because Baker would point out that, as everybody knows, The Beatles are the best band ever. Whereas Kelly would argue that for a period in the 60s The Byrds were the best band in the world. Now I like The Byrds a lot, and they were of course a big influence on The Beatles, but come on...

Can't agree with that' date=' For No One is one of the best and most under-rated Beatles tracks. Try listening to it after you've just been dumped and you are obsessing about your ex, you'll know what I mean.[/quote']

Bleagh....those tracks are just mush!!! "Here there and everywhere" is another stinker.....

White album has one stand out track for me, which in my mind is not a Beatles song, its a John Lennon song (Dear Prudence). Lennon himself said after Sgt. Peppers, The Beatles were not the Beatles, it was John Lennon with a backing group or Paul McCartney with a backing group, with Macca reckoning he was in charge......

Oh yeah, "A day in the life" still stands up as one of the most amazing recordings ever :D George Martin was literally just drawing ascending squiggles on scored paper and telling the orchestra just to please themself, the string players thought he was mad, the brass section was well up for it (hence the brass really overpowering that section). That session must have been pure chaos, near anarchy....nothing has ever since come close!! (Radiohead even had the never to try and rip it off!!!)

"Tomorrow never knows penned a Beatle, later shot dead - imagine all the people...."

Yip. I used to listen to Danny Baker on the radio (it was good' date=' honest) and he had a sidekick called Danny Kelly who used to be editor of Q magazine and hosted a late night Channel 4 football show called Over the Moon or something.

Anyhoo, I remember them having big arguments on air because Baker would point out that, as everybody knows, The Beatles are the best band ever. Whereas Kelly would argue that for a period in the 60s The Byrds were the best band in the world. Now I like The Byrds a lot, and they were of course a big influence on The Beatles, but come on...[/quote']

Danny Kelly is an anus. He went onto 5 live as a host to a football show and produced one of the funniest dead air moments I 've ever heard. Basically it was the usual audience participation show but nobody was calling. He was spluttering around for the rest of the show...most amusing.

The Byrds were a very big influence on modern music but for me they were quite samey...although they have a lot of wonderful songs. However, they were influenced by The Beatles who were still the biggest band throughout the period the Byrds were at their peak.