aberdeen-music

Guitar Techy People

Kai

I've got a US Telecaster and it's pissing me off cos it's not earthed properly. It buzzes constantly unless I touch the strings or some other piece of metal on the body of the guitar. I don't have a soldering iron and I wouldn't know where to start in any case, so does anyone fancy having a go at fixing my axe? I'll pay you proper money and everything if you can make it all sleek and quiet again.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mouse:

How much does it cost to prevent the buzzing? I'd quite fancy it because both my Pacifica & Les Paul do it quite a bit. My amp is next to my dimmer switch though so that may cause most of it

Mess about with the dimmer switch settings (and also try switching the lights of) while your amp is on with a guitar plugged in and see if the buzzing goes away. I had buzzing problems when I was practising in a room with a dimmer switch.

If the buzzing disappears when he touches the strings/any metal part it's more than likely an earth problem on the guitar. A missing/cold soldered earth wire is prime candidate. Most probably the one on the bridge, that's the one that normally goes. (this should be attached to the outside of the pots as well, one of these missing wil confuse electricity and make it run back and fore 50 times a second trying to find a home, producing a 'buzz').