aberdeen-music

Starfall...

Hydrocarbon

They're industrial. Sorry, but having listened to industrial music for years they aren't breaking any genre barriers. That's not to say they're not good, the latest track Static is really catchy and has been stuck in my head for weeks now, but I still maintain that they are unique in Aberdeen, not so in a global music context.

BUT, they are just still relative newbies and their sound is developing well. Given time, who knows.

I think EBM typically lacks guitars, and verges heavily into the darker side of synthpop. Yes, definately still a sub genre of Industrial, though.

Punk EBM with guitars is what I'd call the modern slant of industrial music. Take Pitchchifter, punk as fuck but still inherently industrial.

It of course depends on what industrial you listen to, given that it's as broad and as contentious as the whole 'what is punk?' argument ;)

I wasn't having a go, sorry if it came across like that :)

Originally posted by Hydrocarbon:

I didn't think you were having a go at all; I just think that they come over like an EBM/metal hybridsomething in the vein of Front Line Assembly's Millennium album. This hinges on whether you take FLA as EBM or straight industrial. I think that it also really depends on what you view as the primary influence on the band; in the case of Pitchshifter, I'd say they were punk industrial rather than industrial punk.

Speaking of industrial, are the Elizium nights at Drake's any good? I keep meaning to go along sometime (when I can talk a few of my less adventurous friends into it). I'm just kind of worried that it'll be a case of, "Hey! That guy over there! He's wearing colour!" (I apologise for this gross stereotyping, but my trips to Moshulu usually evoke the same reaction from the regulars there. I don't look "scene" enough.)

Pitchshifter's early work was very industrial, they kinda became a lot more punk. No bad thing, they were always ace ;) Again it depends what phase of their career you look at.

Thing is, most industrial bands that weren't first wave (Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle etc) have embraced electronics - Try early Skinny Puppy, for example, or Front 242. FLA, by this token, are typical Industrial for the time. Seperating out the electronic/guitar thing from industrial has become nigh on impossible since the 80's (or even earlier, if you consider the likes of Kraftwerk, who I could argue were exactly in the industrial ethos).

Elizium is definately more industrial/ebm than goth, so you may well like it - You certainly sound like you've got the right music interests to appreciate it. Jaymz is DJ'ing on his own the next two Eliziums, on account of me being in Switzerland next weekend and then down in London seeing Einsturzende Neubauten the Elizium after that. Bring a few mates and have a giggle, I wouldn't worry about fitting in or not - Neither Jaymz or myself make any form of effort (my innappropriate band t-shirts are almost legendary). We try to make it as open and friendly as we can, so anyone can come along and enjoy it - Drakes being Drakes it is quite a small venue and can be intimidating for people who haven't been along before. Elizium sounds scary too, but it's there for anyone who fancies something truely alternative in a club :)

...what genre do they fall under?

The uninspired (and inaccurate) choice is "industrial", but it doesn't really fit.

My current thinking is that they're metallic EBM, or possibly gothcore. (Note the two new minigenres.)

Jesus Christ! What's with the need to label bands? You are satan's spawn. An attitude like that got the NME where it is today.

Why don't you just say "they rock!" or " they rule!" or "they suck donkey cock!"?????

Craig

Re: Re: Starfall...

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

Jesus Christ! What's with the need to label bands? You are satan's spawn. An attitude like that got the NME where it is today.

Why don't you just say "they rock!" or " they rule!" or "they suck donkey cock!"?????

Labels are just descriptors. They are useful for, in a matter of two or three words, giving someone else an idea of what type of music a band is. Much like you guys describe yourself as a rock band but clarify you're not indie-cool. What I absolutley object to are people that use labels to instantly dismiss a band when they've not heard them. Like the current stigma of being described an 'emo' band, for example, or the fear that the word 'goth' instills upon the majority of the music listening population ;)

But yeah, I totally agree with the sentiment - Judge a band by it's merits not it's associated sound - But everyone uses labels to describe music or anything else. It may be lazy, but it's an integral part of the way we use language.

Can I just draw your attention to a big gig coming up.... seeing as its relatively on a realated topic:

Saturday April 10th 2004 @ The Lemon Tree (w/ Starfall, Apraxia, ClearTone and Bench, 9pm, 5)

Will be a good chance for people to take another look at Starfall and make their minds up... Of course, the other bands will be good as well!

Originally posted by Paul_CT:

Can I just draw your attention to a big gig coming up.... seeing as its relatively on a realated topic:

Saturday April 10th 2004 @ The Lemon Tree (w/ Starfall, Apraxia, ClearTone and Bench, 9pm, 5)

Will be a good chance for people to take another look at Starfall and make their minds up... Of course, the other bands will be good as well!

And if you have a student card you can get in for 3.25.

Re: Re: Re: Starfall...

On a closing note, do they ever play any Neubauten at Elizium? "Feurio!" would go down rather well on a dancefloor in my opinion.

I've played them a couple of times, mainly remixes early on. I'd play Feurio! though, it rocks! I won't be DJ'ing the next two Eliziums, one on account of being in Switzerland and the other due to being in London seeing the mighty Neaubauten live! After that I'll gladly play you some if you ever make it along to Elizium! :D

As a note, I've played EN in the chill out room at Moshulu - Mainly 'Total Eclipse Of The Sun" off 'Silence Is Sexy'.