aberdeen-music

Hog did you get that tuner?

YETI

sorry for the hundreds of posts but this is a topic i have lots to say about

Hendrix etc... needing any tuners' date=' they tuned live all the time, Hendrix made a song out of it.[/quote']

totally true but element 106 is not hendrix, we dont have the same:

venues

set length

audience

skill

personally i see bands that tune on stage just before the gig both boring and unprofessional

and on top of all a waste of valuable gigging time

sorry for the hundreds of posts but this is a topic i have lots to say about

totally true but element 106 is not hendrix' date=' we dont have the same:

venues

set length

audience

skill

personally i see bands that tune on stage just before the gig both boring and unprofessional

and on top of all a waste of valuable gigging time[/quote']

I understand why a bass need a good tuner, the notes are so low that its hard to get E and A in tune by ear, and an untuned bass is far more noticable (you can feel the wrong frequency) It's a lot easier to tune a bass on a tuner because you are usually playing single notes anyway so can keep the playing as constant when tuning as you would when playing. I generally don't play single strings on the guitar, and thwack the whole thing, often my tuning will need to take this into account, as well as my dodgy intonation, old strings etc...there is no way of fixing this without hearing it.

But heres a funny example...a gig I witnessed by liber8, one of the other guitars was getting tuned offstage on a tuner while the band were playing a song. Switch to the 2nd guitar, and it sounded like shit, and this was BADLY out of tune. Now, if they weren't trying to play like a pro band and just took the 2 seconds to audibly tune the guitar through the amp before the song it might have stopped me laughing at how awful it was....

Heres the tuning song...

-0-0---------------0-----------------------------------0---
------0-0----------0-----------------------------------0---
-----------01------1--------0-0--0---------------------1---
----------------2--2------------0------0-0--0----------2---
-------------------2-----------------------0-----------2---
-------------------0-----------------------------0-----0---

dont get me wrong, i totally agree with checking your tuning as soon as you are on stage, and do the necessary corrections there and than...

what i am talking about is haveng your instrument out of several notes... like what should be a B is infact a Aflat... also just to insult Hog a bit :-)

this thread was originally inteded for Hog's case only.. he has a really bad ear for tuning also he hasnt got the proper technique as in instead of letting the note ring for a bit and listen for the wave sound resulting (i dont know the proper term in english) he keeps picking listening only for the first note which is often the wrong one to listen to. to top it all off in the 10-15 years of playing the guitar he never bothered learning how to properly string a guitar and tuning it. so in this case a working tuner would be the best option beleave me

omg i never wrote for so long in this forum.....

dont get me wrong' date=' i totally agree with checking your tuning as soon as you are on stage, and do the necessary corrections there and than...

what i am talking about is haveng your instrument out of several notes... like what should be a B is infact a Aflat... also just to insult Hog a bit :-)

this thread was originally inteded for Hog's case only.. he has a really bad ear for tuning also he hasnt got the proper technique as in instead of letting the note ring for a bit and listen for the wave sound resulting (i dont know the proper term in english) he keeps picking listening only for the first note which is often the wrong one to listen to. to top it all off in the 10-15 years of playing the guitar he never bothered learning how to properly string a guitar and tuning it. so in this case a working tuner would be the best option beleave me

omg i never wrote for so long in this forum.....[/quote']

Im weird, Im not good at tuning at all but I can do harmonies (within my limited range) bang on. Certainly not bothered about training the ear to tune my guitar when a tuner can do the job.

1 thing i really dont understand is:

what is wrong with standard E tuning?

why do guitarists whant everything? they never let other members of the band do theyr own stuff.. you want lower tones? get the bass player to work on it. you want faster feel get the drummer on it...

dont try and do everything by yourself or the rest of the band will get bored and leave

anmd by the way if someone else has a solo STFU already do basic notes so that that someone has his/her moment of glory dont try to cover everything