aberdeen-music

Music discussion in the wasteland!

Guest Philip

Well firstly I'll say that yes... this is Neil's site, I have total respect for Neil and his decisions involving the site etc etc... he's done a damned good job with it, and built a whole mini community here *wipes tear* so yes, big hats off to Neil.

The whole music discussion on teh Wasteland thing.. I am kinda siding with Kai and Phil here... I've discussed it more in depth with Philip and it makes perfect sense to me.

The music discussion board when it initially had just begun was really good, it was all quite seriously based... along similar lines to the musician's corner and was really quite interesting to read through.

Since the new rule has been more officially inforced I have noticed I decline in proportions of good threads on the above forum, and I would say that a lot of them would seem more at home on the Wasteland.

I'd say this would be a case of audience mixture (bare with me here) it's like a aberdeen-music version of happily sitting watching Sky News, when suddenly all they start talking about is bottoms and socks... your sitting there thinking, "this isn't the informative news broadcasting I know and love" - well I love it, then again I'm possibly slightly sick minded - OR you are watching Gonzo and Zane Low won't shut up about the new Gareth Gates album... then slips in a side comment that the darkness are playing an aberdeen show, then without stating anymore starts talking about Gareth Gates again.

To me... that is what it is like.

I hope people understand my jibberish.

yes... music discussion should be brough back to the wasteland.

:)

Guest Philip

Yes, what we're asking for, is to put back the silly music threads in the wasteland, 'Kylies bum' or 'instruments as an ornament' for example, so that the All Music Discussion can cover the more serious muical discussions as it were!

I have been informed that the above post is rather difficult to follow... erm... in simple terms.

All music Discussion *before* - Nice serious discussion, interesting to read through, good to find out about new bands and explore new genre's.

*after* - Threads about Kylie's bum, previous interesting threads now drowning in a waste pit of jibberish.

Result = Make Sharon :(

Suggestion - Make the silly threads go back to where they were spawn (The Wasteland)

Result of this - Serious music discussion is more formally segregated from silly threads.

OR read my above thing more than once, and apparently it begins to make sense.

Regards

- Shlindsay

Originally posted by Philip:

It bothered you enough to reply in this thread!

It's not as if it takes alot of effort to reply to a thread. Tap a few keys on the keyboard, hit reply. Done.

I can't believe people are so bothered about this. Neil is only asking for music related threads to be kept in the music related forum, makes perfect sense to me.

Why can't people just accept it and move on?

:rolleyes:

Guest Philip
Originally posted by Rock_Princess:

It's not as if it takes alot of effort to reply to a thread. Tap a few keys on the keyboard, hit reply. Done.

I can't believe people are so bothered about this. Neil is only asking for music related threads to be kept in the music related forum, makes perfect sense to me.

Why can't people just accept it and move on?

:rolleyes:

Look, when I sent you the pm, you felt the need to use the old cliche "I'ts a message board, get a life". You could have left it at that, why didn't you?

Myself and the people involved have a life thank you very much and I/we are aware that it is "just a message board".

It was meant to be a bit of fun, yes it got a little out of hand, but we have the right as members to question rules, albeit in a less confrontational manner. Hopefully some changes will be made, probably not.

So why cant you "just accept" that some people wish to voice their opinion on the matter and move on. :rolleyes:

A lot of the members of the forum put heaps of effort into organising the bandwidth festival which was one of the main reasons that the site's still here, whether it was orginising the 3-day event or playing in it, or even turning up and paying to see the acts, all participants (in theory) descretely own a piece of the website...... like ownership by the people sorta thing.

I rekon the fairest way to reach a conclusion is to have an official poll at the top of the wasteland, see what the people want or something....

(Note: I do realise that neil is the driving force of the website and ultimately it's his decision)

Since the forums all got moved and named the wasteland didn't generate more than a page a day - the music discussion one got about a page and a half.....

Originally posted by Philip:

It was meant to be a bit of fun, yes it got a little out of hand, but we have the right as members to question rules, albeit in a less confrontational manner. Hopefully some changes will be made, probably not.

Have the right as members to make stupid and unnecessary threads just to get your point across? Seems silly to me. You could of PM'd Neil or something y'know?

Guest Philip
Originally posted by Rock_Princess:

Have the right as members to make stupid and unnecessary threads just to get your point across? Seems silly to me. You could of PM'd Neil or something y'know?

Yes your right!

:O

I think it's ridiculous that on a site called "aberdeen-music.com" there is ANYWHERE on it that you can't discuss aberdeen's music. We should either be able to discuss music on the wasteland or have no wasteland at all.

Is this site not supposed to be an aid to the music community after all?

i think we should remove all the forums and then just put up a link to PM neil and whenever you have something to say, just PM him and that way, no-one will be able to prove any points or start any discussions. in fact, just take off the first page and replace it with a link to PMneil.com to save space. then neil can sell the extra hardware he's had to buy and get himself a new hat

spoons

X

Originally posted by Bob:

I think it's ridiculous that on a site called "aberdeen-music.com" there is ANYWHERE on it that you can't discuss aberdeen's music. We should either be able to discuss music on the wasteland or have no wasteland at all.

Is this site not supposed to be an aid to the music community after all?

I think it's ridiculous that on aberdeen-music.com you can discuss things which have fuck all to do with music.

;(

Remember, it's Aberdeen-music.com, not The-Wasteland-with-some-music-stuff-as-well.com.

Or all of you ungrateful people could stop moaning and apprectiate the time and money which Neil invests in this site, and accept that it is his to run in whichever way he chooses. If you don't like it - start up your own forums where you can combine music and shit chat to your hearts content!

For gods sake do none of you have anything better to do with your time than to ponder the organisation of the forums on an ONLINE CHAT SITE?!

Deal with it, please, because this is all getting very tedious.

Originally posted by Charlotte:

Or all of you ungrateful people could stop moaning and apprectiate the time and money which Neil invests in this site, and accept that it is his to run in whichever way he chooses. If you don't like it - start up your own forums where you can combine music and shit chat to your hearts content!

For gods sake do none of you have anything better to do with your time than to ponder the organisation of the forums on an ONLINE CHAT SITE?!

Deal with it, please, because this is all getting very tedious.

Wow. Well said :)